SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by winchdoc, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Nov 16, 2008, 08:36 PM
Yes, ALL your money...
A hut in the woods in Oregon
Joined Jan 2003
2,522 Posts
Discussion
You need leather balls to play RUGBY

The WinchWench and I rode our bikes south this weekend to Monmouth OR., where we watched my youngest son, Joe play in a rugby match.

They won (slaughtered 'em) and remain undefeated with only one more game to play.
winchdoc is online now Find More Posts by winchdoc
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 16, 2008, 10:07 PM
United States, CA, San Luis Obispo
Joined Mar 2006
438 Posts
I guess if you need leather balls for rugby you need diamond of American football..
andrewtexas123 is offline Find More Posts by andrewtexas123
Old Jan 21, 2009, 10:14 AM
Tearing the Skies a new one...
Sweden: Ystad
Joined Oct 2004
4,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewtexas123
I guess if you need leather balls for rugby you need diamond of American football..
Oohhh.. As an Ex rugby player I'd love to respond to that...

Rugby:
- The team thinks as a unit with no interruptions from Coach, and no "time outs".
- The game only stops if a fowl is committed, if the ball goes out of play, or if someone's lying damaged on the ground.
- You're only allowed to kick the ball forwards. you are NOT allowed to pass the ball forwards.
- You must get through the other teams line ON YOUR OWN. Your teamates cannot block for you to create holes.
- The entire team plays the whole game. Substitutions are rare.
- The forwards might choose to use insulating tape around their ears to protect from permanent damage. Gum-shields may be worn.

American "Football"
- The game is stopped every few seconds so the coach can tell them what to do next.
- The team is swapped around depending upon what the coach wants them to do. Fat blokes get to rest.
- Padding. Lots of it. And Helmets too... hahaha. Jessies.

The Game of rugby is a fast and hard Adrenaline fuelled celebration of sheer guts and testosterone. Having said that, I know female rugby players who'd out run, mow down and hurt an American football player if only he'd come out from behind his body-armour.

In my favoured position of "Loose-head Prop" It was my role to take out whippy little high-speed buggers who try to bolt past, pin down big buggers until the rest of the lads can pile over (scrummage) and win the ball, Destroy the opposing tight-head prop in a scrum, and propel myself for an accurate interception or direct tackle with Closing speeds between myself and the opponent that are identical to those in American football - and sometimes higher because of the lack of armour.... and then get up instantly and carry on - for a 90 minute Game.

We do it without Armour, And our balls are Huge.

Diamond Balls for American football? Aye lad... Diamonds: Small, shiny, and a bit girly.

But.... you guys do Have Cheerleaders... Can't fault that.. GWB was *great* at it...

Any questions?

'Doc.... kudos to your lad for a so far perfect season!!
Sensiblenick is offline Find More Posts by Sensiblenick
Old Mar 17, 2009, 01:40 PM
Yes, ALL your money...
A hut in the woods in Oregon
Joined Jan 2003
2,522 Posts
Yeah, Nick. Rugby is more real-time manly.

JoJo (my youngest son) is probably the shortest in his club, but he's always in there playing. Pics from his latest game. played in the RAIN. not that nancy sprinkley precipitation, but pouring RAIN. The field was soggy, too.

I'm really proud of him.

They won this one, too.
winchdoc is online now Find More Posts by winchdoc
Last edited by winchdoc; Mar 17, 2009 at 08:45 PM.