|Nov 16, 2008, 08:36 PM|
You need leather balls to play RUGBY
The WinchWench and I rode our bikes south this weekend to Monmouth OR., where we watched my youngest son, Joe play in a rugby match.
They won (slaughtered 'em) and remain undefeated with only one more game to play.
|Jan 21, 2009, 10:14 AM|
- The team thinks as a unit with no interruptions from Coach, and no "time outs".
- The game only stops if a fowl is committed, if the ball goes out of play, or if someone's lying damaged on the ground.
- You're only allowed to kick the ball forwards. you are NOT allowed to pass the ball forwards.
- You must get through the other teams line ON YOUR OWN. Your teamates cannot block for you to create holes.
- The entire team plays the whole game. Substitutions are rare.
- The forwards might choose to use insulating tape around their ears to protect from permanent damage. Gum-shields may be worn.
- The game is stopped every few seconds so the coach can tell them what to do next.
- The team is swapped around depending upon what the coach wants them to do. Fat blokes get to rest.
- Padding. Lots of it. And Helmets too... hahaha. Jessies.
The Game of rugby is a fast and hard Adrenaline fuelled celebration of sheer guts and testosterone. Having said that, I know female rugby players who'd out run, mow down and hurt an American football player if only he'd come out from behind his body-armour.
In my favoured position of "Loose-head Prop" It was my role to take out whippy little high-speed buggers who try to bolt past, pin down big buggers until the rest of the lads can pile over (scrummage) and win the ball, Destroy the opposing tight-head prop in a scrum, and propel myself for an accurate interception or direct tackle with Closing speeds between myself and the opponent that are identical to those in American football - and sometimes higher because of the lack of armour.... and then get up instantly and carry on - for a 90 minute Game.
We do it without Armour, And our balls are Huge.
Diamond Balls for American football? Aye lad... Diamonds: Small, shiny, and a bit girly.
But.... you guys do Have Cheerleaders... Can't fault that.. GWB was *great* at it...
'Doc.... kudos to your lad for a so far perfect season!!
|Mar 17, 2009, 01:40 PM|
Yeah, Nick. Rugby is more real-time manly.
JoJo (my youngest son) is probably the shortest in his club, but he's always in there playing. Pics from his latest game. played in the RAIN. not that nancy sprinkley precipitation, but pouring RAIN. The field was soggy, too.
I'm really proud of him.
They won this one, too.
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|If you need cockpit details look here||Ian Easton||Scale Electric Planes||0||May 03, 2002 03:20 PM|
|SDRAM Memory - How Much Do You Need?||mrebman||Life, The Universe, and Politics||2||May 01, 2002 09:45 PM|
|Yippee! You Need Some Humor Today||Don Sims||Humor||0||Oct 23, 2001 11:58 AM|
|how big of a slope do you need?||breadboy||Electric Sailplanes||8||Oct 04, 2001 01:06 PM|
|Do you need CA glue to build the sky scooter?||e-flyer||Parkflyers||6||Apr 30, 2001 08:42 PM|