Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Closed Thread
Old Feb 24, 2003, 08:56 PM
www.unicornwings.net
Shoreline WA USA
Joined Feb 2003
450 Posts
The Unicorn - a Next Generation EPP flying wing

The Unicorn can be considered the successor to the Zagi 400x.

1. Solid EPP flying wing
2. Flies 15-30 minutes. Flies better, including improved inverted loops
3. 48 inch wingspan can be shortened to 36" and still set balance point by adjusting battery pack (for a wildly aerobatic plane)
4. No thermoplastic banana nose canopy to break.
5. NiMH flat pack fits entirely in wing
6. Quieter motor, it lives inside a plastic cylinder, propeller is extended over an inch past the trailing edge. Also you can cruise around at 20% throttle because of clearer air ahead of prop.

Check it out, including full downloadable assembly & flight manual:

http://www.unicornwings.net
ActionCommander is offline Find More Posts by ActionCommander
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 25, 2003, 03:24 AM
Cat Rack
Lyle, WA
Joined Dec 2000
1,478 Posts
I can vouch for the performance of these fine wings, I've been watching with interest every time they show up at the field with their prototypes.

Very nice battery mounting system, it slides in a channel on the bottom of the wing, elegant engine mount as well. They are very aerobatic and smooth flyers. If you're looking for something new, give one of these a try.
MtnGoat is online now Find More Posts by MtnGoat
Old Mar 05, 2003, 10:50 PM
Seattle Washington
Joined Feb 2003
22 Posts
Mtn Goat,

Thanks for the vote of confidance,

Please introduce yourself the next time we meet.

Ken
Monoceros is offline Find More Posts by Monoceros
Old Mar 05, 2003, 11:25 PM
www.unicornwings.net
Shoreline WA USA
Joined Feb 2003
450 Posts
Unicorn prices have been reduced considerably, and shipping is still free:
Pure EPP Core kit with 3 carbon spars, all control hardware, filament tape and color tape: $50.00
Full kit (with Speed 400 motor, prop, Aveox speed controller, battery pack & charger pigtail): $135.00

http://www.unicornwings.net

- Mark
Old Mar 06, 2003, 06:45 AM
Clinton, Maryland
Joined Oct 2002
426 Posts
Can you post a picture of how you put the battery in and how you mount the motor?
Tomegun is offline Find More Posts by Tomegun
Old Mar 06, 2003, 08:34 AM
www.unicornwings.net
Shoreline WA USA
Joined Feb 2003
450 Posts
1. The motor fits inside a toughplastic tube that blends into the wing, extending all the way into the battery bay.
You can download the manual from the site and get all the pictures.
2. Unicorn battery pack installation (under side):
Old Mar 06, 2003, 08:38 AM
www.unicornwings.net
Shoreline WA USA
Joined Feb 2003
450 Posts
Unicorn center body assembly including motor tube:
Old Mar 06, 2003, 09:47 AM
Joined Feb 2003
60 Posts
I really lik ethe layout of this wing!

I have a few questions:

1. How well does the battery stay in the plane during combat? It looks like it would come out pretty easy??

2. Will that tube accept a cobalt 400 type motor?
Scar13 is offline Find More Posts by Scar13
Old Mar 06, 2003, 10:19 AM
Long Island, N.Y.
Joined Oct 2002
241 Posts
I like the looks of it! It looks like a lot of time has been taken in addressing the problems of the Zagi type of planes. Keep up the good work!
newbee E-flier is offline Find More Posts by newbee E-flier
Old Mar 06, 2003, 01:00 PM
Minneapolis Mn
Joined Jan 2003
897 Posts
Just ordered 2

I just ordered 2, a full one & a core set with a few batteries... I'll let you know. I & my son both currently fly both Zagi 400x's & Zagi 400's (I like the 400 better, other than the flight times) but think the Unicorn makes a few but drastic improvements...

Can't wait...
jimklein is offline Find More Posts by jimklein
Old Mar 06, 2003, 02:48 PM
Senior Moment Member
SF Bay Area, CA
Joined Jul 2002
1,337 Posts
Mark,

You answered some of my questions in another thread, but just thought it would be more appropriate to extend the conversation here.

I ordered a core Unicorn kit (haven't received it yet - hey! what's taking so long? I ordered it yesterday! ) and had some questions regarding motor fitment and prop type/size. Here is a picture of what I plan to use (if possible):

The silver motor is a standard 400 while the black one is the long can 400. The diameter is the same, it's just longer due to the longer armature. I'm thinking that the flux band (or whatever you call it) will have to be removed to fit inside the standard plastic motor tube. It may be a little heavy to balance out correctly with smaller battery packs. It pulled around 10 amps @9.6 volts with the prop shown.
The prop is marked "Paul Gunther KG" and "No. 302, 125x110".

Do you think this power package will work OK?

Last thing, how did you get Chuck Norris to pose for the picture at the top of this thread?
babblefish is offline Find More Posts by babblefish
Last edited by babblefish; Mar 06, 2003 at 03:12 PM.
Old Mar 06, 2003, 06:21 PM
www.unicornwings.net
Shoreline WA USA
Joined Feb 2003
450 Posts
Thanks for the compliments folks!

Scar13, Battery securing was something we carefully considered. Note the battery flap that swings over the battery. The end of the flap is secured near the tail with Velcro. The battery is held in place with strategically placed filament tape to form a pouch and a strap to absorb all forces except for those skilled enough to crash backwards (the attached photo uses blue masking tape because filament tape photographs poorly). The Velcro prevents the battery from sliding towards front or rear. With this design, the Velcro does not have to absorb the energy of a nose collision. Battery does not fall out of plane if you collide with ground or opponent. Try combatting the Unicorn against a Zagi as an experiment.

The tube has an inside diameter of about 1.05 inches, a smidge larger than the Speed 400. I don't know whether it will accommodate a Cobalt 400. You can fabricate your own tube through sneaky use of 4 mil mylar drafting film and 3M spray, using the motor itself to roll the sheet into a tube that is 2-4 layers thick. Before spraying the film, mask off the part that will face inside of the tube. It is stronger than you might think. You might have to enlarge the routed part of the EPP wing, to take a larger tube.
Old Mar 06, 2003, 06:33 PM
www.unicornwings.net
Shoreline WA USA
Joined Feb 2003
450 Posts
BabbleFish,

How do I remove your fish once it gets inside my ear?

Your kit was shipped today...

I think you can use the long can 400 if you remove the flux band. You can maybe let it stick a bit further out the back so you can use the same vent slots. But you will be more tail heavy so you need to watch the balance.

You probably won't be able to shorten the wingspan to 36" because of the balance point but I think you can get away with 42" (instead of the 48" span of the wing as supplied). The shorter wingspan is more fun if you have some flying experience.

The prop is the same as we use. The usual reversal of the prop hub must apply so the prop becomes a pusher.

"Chuck Norris" goes by the name of Ken today, and he spends all his free time exploiting my work shop...
Old Mar 06, 2003, 06:43 PM
Uvalde, TX
Joined Sep 2002
105 Posts
Nice looking wing, seems very refined. Will the battery compartment accomodate 8 cell CP1300 SCRs arranged like this:

====

Can you tell us more about the airfoil? Is the wing made for speed and aerobatics or is it pretty thick so it's slower and more forgiving? I'm just curious if it would be faster and more aerobatic than what I fly now (Combatwings XE2-400). Thanks for any information.

Houdini
houdini is offline Find More Posts by houdini
Old Mar 06, 2003, 07:42 PM
Kamloops
Joined Dec 2001
6,844 Posts
I would Gather a mega motor would slide right in? Also could CP1300`s fit in the Batt bay? If not cp1300`s what about the 1700 AUP`s?

Kush
GREAT Looking Wing BTW
kushal_22 is offline Find More Posts by kushal_22
Closed Thread