HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 24, 2003, 07:27 PM
Joined Feb 2003
32 Posts
Show off your training gear!

I am looking for pictures of everyone's training gear, what they made it out of, and how well it has worked. I know most people use dowel rods w/ balls on the ends but I am looking for creativity here!

Also, do you need a switch harness (on/off switch) on the corona? I am putting together my to get list and haven't seen any on one, just making sure.

if anyone cares this is what I am putting together:
Hitec Eclipse w/ Spectra -$220
Hitec Electron 6 Channel Rx -$60
Futaba GY240 -$120(know about Helihut and dont want gray market products)
3 Hitec HS-81 servos -$55
Tx and Rx crystals -$25

I am planning on selling the sprectra module, and using crystals instead.
jeffr147 is offline Find More Posts by jeffr147
Last edited by jeffr147; Feb 24, 2003 at 07:31 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 24, 2003, 08:28 PM
Hooked Heli Human
Western NC
Joined Dec 2002
1,556 Posts
Here is mine.. The ESC should have a on/off switch.. i know mine did.. I have some of the stuff you have.. I got the Eclipse w/spectra.. but i got the Hitec 555 Receiver.. most of the other stuff is the same.. you might want to get HS-81MG's for the 2 that control cyclic.. metal gears so just in case of crash you dont strip the gears.. i went with all 3 but most ppl recommend 2 MG on cyclic and 1 regular one for the tail rotor..

also before you order.. you might want to give servocity.com a call and tell them what you want to order and see if they can give you a package price.. i did and saved $10.. hey its not much but still its $10.. free shipping on all orders too..

also if you haven't already.. SkyHawke and I posted on this one thread with our progress from parts selection.. pros/cons with this or that.. on to ordering and finally receiving our Corona kits and all the other parts and assembly.. its very long thread but worth the time if you are really interested in the Corona.. everyone posted information in the thread that was very helpful for all of us..

Going for the Corona Thread

as you can see from the pic.. training gear is easy to make.. no creativity actually just plain jane that works I am still at the hovering stage.. and I am in no hurry to move along until i know i can hover good. I got the dowels from WallyWorld.. they were 4ft long i think.. got the plastic practice golf balls from wallyworld.. had to buy a pack of 9 for $1.99 i think.. wanted bright orange but they only had white.. oh well no biggie.. took some scrap wood.. made 2" square.. drilled 2 holes thru the center.. sanded it.. cut the dowels to about blade length.. honestly i cant remember the exact lenght i think it was between 24-30".. one goes straight thru.. I used Thick CA on it.. then the other one I cut in half and compensated for the dowel in the center.. glued those and then pushed the ends thru each ball and CA glued them on.. thats about it.. the training gear is held in place by plastic ties..
gmaster is offline Find More Posts by gmaster
Last edited by gmaster; Feb 24, 2003 at 08:37 PM.
Old Feb 24, 2003, 08:31 PM
Cnc-Nut
USA, FL, Hudson
Joined Sep 2002
239 Posts
I made mine just like those when I first started with my Corona.

Just take two equal sized dowel rods about rotor blades length. and use rubber bands to attach them together in the middle, then they just fold up.

to attach the wiffle balls, use zip ties on each side of them with a dab of CA to hold them tight.

Gregg
fig8 is offline Find More Posts by fig8
Old Feb 24, 2003, 10:06 PM
He wasn't always evil
SW Wisconsin
Joined Jul 2001
1,042 Posts
One of the Corona's manual give a good idea on how to make them. Here is mine. I followed their directions. The two colored wiffle balls show up nicely.

-Brett
AirVenture is offline Find More Posts by AirVenture
Old Feb 24, 2003, 10:45 PM
Hooked Heli Human
Western NC
Joined Dec 2002
1,556 Posts
Brett.. thats what i was going to do... put orange on either both fronts or on one side left or right.. nice snow
Old Feb 25, 2003, 04:47 AM
(aka Cliff Lawson)
United Kingdom, Essex
Joined Oct 2001
1,897 Posts
Jeff, I won't post a picture because if I did you wouldn't be able to tell it apart from gmaster's one anyway - my training gear looks 100% identical.

By the way, I came down quite hard on one of the "legs" and the bit that actually broke was the central piece of pine 1"x1" - it broke along the grain so if I had my time over I'd have cut the central block differently (perhaps from a different material such as nylon even?)

Cliff
Wright Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Wright Flyer
Old Feb 25, 2003, 05:30 AM
Hooked Heli Human
Western NC
Joined Dec 2002
1,556 Posts
Cliff.. when i was making mine the first orig test piece i used split down the middle during drilling.. so i had to rethink what to use.. i still went with the same material.. pine scrap i got from a wallyworld display.. i just asked the clerk could i have the waste stock... but if i was starting from scratch.. i would probably use a different material.. something that has stronger grain.. or found an extra piece of tinker toys..
Old Feb 25, 2003, 08:53 AM
10' a slope does not make
Winter Park, FL USA
Joined Mar 1999
299 Posts
I stopped by a local kite store and picked up 2 18mm 32" CF rods for under $6 and then hit Wal-Mart for 4 compressed foam practice golf balls for another $2.

I use two large rubberbands to attach them above the skids... they are very lightweight.
stavros is offline Find More Posts by stavros
Old Feb 25, 2003, 09:24 AM
Chicago (nw burbs)
Joined Jan 2003
66 Posts
In TMorita's beginners guide (first post of this forum),
he recommended the following;

"You should have a training gear on your heli. The training gear prevents the heli from tipping over and damaging itself, and additionally makes the heli more stable by slowing the cyclic response.

For a non-micro heli, the best and cheapest training gear can be made from a small hula-hoop and some 1/4 inch dowels.

a. Put the dowel across the diameter of the hula-hoop, and cut the dowel so it's about 1 inch longer than the diameter.
b. Cut another dowel the same length.
c. Use two tie-wraps to lash the two dowels together in an X pattern.
d. Use tie wraps to attach the X to the hula-hoop.
e. Use tie-wraps to attach the X to the training gear of your helicopter.
f. Make sure the hula-hoop is on the bottom, so it will slide along the floor on the hula-hoop."

Hula-hoop would seem heavy but if you could find a light one, it would appear to be the perfect setup.
I have never seen a Pic of this setup.
growehl is offline Find More Posts by growehl
Old Feb 25, 2003, 09:42 AM
Das Universus Elektrikus
NM, USA
Joined Mar 2002
3,309 Posts
Hoola Hoop Training Gear.

The shafts are CF arrows and the hoop cost one dollar at a thrift store. It's light strong and cheap.

Albig
Albig is offline Find More Posts by Albig
Old Feb 25, 2003, 12:36 PM
Chicago (nw burbs)
Joined Jan 2003
66 Posts
Thanks for the Hula Hoop post. I looks like it should work great.

Still surprised that it is lightweight. Guess I'll add this to my shopping list.
growehl is offline Find More Posts by growehl
Old Feb 26, 2003, 06:26 PM
Portland, Maine
Joined Aug 2002
758 Posts
Portable Gear

I found by mounting the corona to an SUV, it makes for a nice training gear, and stylish too.
IncredibleITGuy is offline Find More Posts by IncredibleITGuy
Old Feb 26, 2003, 06:36 PM
Principal Member
San Francisco, CA
Joined Jun 2002
962 Posts
i for some reason find the corona easier and much more stable to fly without the training gear. training gear was making control sluggish and introduced lots of vibration.
compuatic is offline Find More Posts by compuatic