HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 16, 2008, 12:19 PM
Joined Feb 2007
192 Posts
Gallery
Sky Surfer Still Fun! (Ski Beach, Mission Bay, CA)

I fly a modified Sky Surfer powered paraglider and carry a Pentax Optio S7. I got out a little early today and flew from a new location.

Picasa Web Album Slideshow

Great morning a lot of great shots.
Jack Z.
Sky Surfer Pilot
http://www.videokahuna.net/album
videokahuna is offline Find More Posts by videokahuna
Last edited by videokahuna; Nov 16, 2008 at 12:35 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 16, 2008, 01:10 PM
It flew...nearly!
Norway
Joined Apr 2006
1,941 Posts
Hey Jack!
Lovely pictures! Is the Sky Surfer still available? Do you have a link? Would be ideal to bring on holiday!

Matthew
Duck! is offline Find More Posts by Duck!
Old Nov 16, 2008, 01:11 PM
Joined Jun 2006
1,065 Posts
Happy days

Quote:
Originally Posted by videokahuna
I fly a modified Sky Surfer powered paraglider and carry a Pentax Optio S7. I got out a little early today and flew from a new location.

Picasa Web Album Slideshow

Great morning a lot of great shots.
Jack Z.
Sky Surfer Pilot
http://www.videokahuna.net/album
Hi, Jack
Glad to see your rig still producing great results.
As you know I also had a skysurfer (clone) and modified it in a similar manner, producing some great results (not as good as yours but they made me happy) Unfotunately, the wing got irreparably damaged and I couldn't get a replacement (not for want of trying my hardest!) so I went ahead and got a kit from Troy which worked well for a while and then the forces required to launch effectively put me off and I have now moved onto Joel Schultz's Hawkeye which looks VERY promising. Good luck, best wishes and happy flying
Cheers Ted (UK) P.S. do not damage your wing as you will not be able to obtain a replacement
tedrobphoto is offline Find More Posts by tedrobphoto
Old Nov 16, 2008, 02:45 PM
Israel, Ness Ziona
Joined Sep 2004
4,633 Posts
great pic man
nice and clear...
guy
guyg is online now Find More Posts by guyg
Old Nov 16, 2008, 08:58 PM
Joined Feb 2007
192 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedrobphoto
Hi, Jack
Glad to see your rig still producing great results.
As you know I also had a skysurfer (clone) and modified it in a similar manner, producing some great results (not as good as yours but they made me happy) Unfotunately, the wing got irreparably damaged and I couldn't get a replacement (not for want of trying my hardest!) so I went ahead and got a kit from Troy which worked well for a while and then the forces required to launch effectively put me off and I have now moved onto Joel Schultz's Hawkeye which looks VERY promising. Good luck, best wishes and happy flying
Cheers Ted (UK) P.S. do not damage your wing as you will not be able to obtain a replacement
Hey Ted

Good the hear from you too. I have 2 spare wings in my garage. I bought a slightly used Sky Surfer on ebay and it included a spare wing. I wish the chinese knock offs would realize they could easily sell for 2x the price if they just made a good wing.

I too like the idea of the Hawkeye it seems like it would fit right in at the beach etc where I routinely fly. I've alway hand launched/hand captured my Sky Surfer, does it seem like maybe someone could do the same with the Hawkeye? I'm still pretty agile (just shy of 50yo).

VR
Jack Z.
Video Kahuna
Sky Surfer Pilot
Old Nov 16, 2008, 09:14 PM
Joined Feb 2007
192 Posts
Original Sky Surfer is hard to find!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck!
Hey Jack!
Lovely pictures! Is the Sky Surfer still available? Do you have a link? Would be ideal to bring on holiday!

Matthew
Matthew

Maybe you have browsed around the internet already... the Sky Surfer is no longer manufactured by the Green Corp in Japan. There are Chinese Knock Offs available on ebay etc... unfortunately poor quality wing, made with a slightly heavier chrome mylar material.

A few people have been able to get airborne and others not. (I was a not).

I like the idea of relatively small slow quiet design, I've taken it on a couple trips it packs up small. But I also wish I could get just a bit more power to tote either my 12mp Kodak camera or add the GPS logger with my Pentax Optio.

I routinely go to the public beach here. I find a generally open spot and just toss the thing in the air. Climb out over the water, and cruise around above the beach and surf.

There a couple places to get larger setups. Seabreeeze is a good choice or maybe Paralight Aviation. Those two are larger but could likely tote one of the smaller HD video cams. A paraglider design is probably not great for video though because the chassis does rock or swing a little bit.

VR
Jack Z.
Video Kahuna
Sky Surfer Pilot
Old Nov 17, 2008, 02:52 AM
Joined Jun 2006
1,065 Posts
Hawkeye endorsement

Quote:
Originally Posted by videokahuna
Hey Ted

Good the hear from you too. I have 2 spare wings in my garage. I bought a slightly used Sky Surfer on ebay and it included a spare wing. I wish the chinese knock offs would realize they could easily sell for 2x the price if they just made a good wing.

I too like the idea of the Hawkeye it seems like it would fit right in at the beach etc where I routinely fly. I've alway hand launched/hand captured my Sky Surfer, does it seem like maybe someone could do the same with the Hawkeye? I'm still pretty agile (just shy of 50yo).

VR
Jack Z.
Video Kahuna
Sky Surfer Pilot
Jack
I would endorse the Hawkeye completely. It is a great flying machine and where you fly it would be absolutely great. You would have NO problem taking up a camera weighing 8 oz (in fact Joel mentions you need at least 4 oz to get the correct CG) Speed and control is very similar to the skysurfer so you sholuld have no problems at all. The seabreeze machine weighs a "ton" in comparison to the skysurfer and having to swing it around the head to launch I found awkward and difficult causing many crashes just on take off . When I saw the Hawkeye it seemed ideal as it is really a portable powered glider and a gentle launch into the breeze is all that is required.The machine folds up into a small space for transport. (I assure you I AM not on commission!!
Best wishes Ted
tedrobphoto is offline Find More Posts by tedrobphoto
Last edited by tedrobphoto; Nov 17, 2008 at 04:20 AM. Reason: addition to text
Old Nov 25, 2008, 09:32 PM
Joined Feb 2007
192 Posts
Have you tried Picasa V3

Ted/All

I like the idea of the Hawkeye, I've been browsing the site. When I'm ready for something else that sure seems like a great way to fly the beaches around here.

Change of Subject here are the same images cleaned up etc with Picasa it also has a video export. I can't believe how much time I used to spend in Photoshop and now I can quickly clean up crop and NOW make an HD Video Photo Montage. Check out the Vimeo clip [CLICK HERE].

I hope the embed works...I'll be scrambling to figure it out if it doesn't.

All the best
Jack Z.
Video Kahuna
Sky Surfer Pilot
Last edited by videokahuna; Nov 25, 2008 at 09:45 PM.
Old Nov 25, 2008, 09:57 PM
DWA
John 3:16
South Orange County,CA.
Joined Dec 2004
9,379 Posts
Great pics and vid Jack.
The embed worked.

Dave
DWA is online now Find More Posts by DWA
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 25, 2008, 11:05 PM
Joined Feb 2007
192 Posts
DWA

Thanks, I only revisited this topic because I recently tried the Picasa movie export with the same images. Worked great, I posted it to vimeo the other night and I'm suprprise how well it came out with minimal effort.

It's rare that I spend any time with Photoshop these days. Picasa saves me hours of time. I drool watching the picasa dynamic photo montage in HD on my large monitor.

I've been making videos on computers for quite awhile. I've used alot of different software over the years. I started in video creating dynamic photo montage videos for events etc... it used to be a nice paying jig.

NOW... the tools are available to everyone and it's easier than ever.

VR
Jack Z.
Video Kahuna
Sky Surfer Pilot