HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 23, 2008, 10:09 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,549 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw10
The EZ Glider is out of the 60 inch limit. I looked it over and is not where I wanted to go. It seems that the suggestions on air planes keeps getting to longer wing spans. Trying to keep with the original plan was to limit it to a strict 2 channel 60 in. max airplane then try to develop the rules to make it an even playing field as much as possible.
Thanks for the video as I really needed it today.
60" is a good number. Looking at some of the popular alternatives is always a good thing.

So, you have a good list of 60" models, you should be able to find something you like. :-)
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 24, 2008, 01:04 AM
Joined Aug 2007
50 Posts
I hope you are correct. This winter will be building time for me. Up to this point I appreciate the feed back I have been getting. I was really hoping to get a rule that would be that you must build your own airplane and it has to be balsa construction. This makes it pretty even across the board for everyone. I will wait and see what develops.
scottw10 is offline Find More Posts by scottw10
Old Nov 24, 2008, 05:58 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,549 Posts
Scottw10,

If you want a "builder" requirement, that is fine. Now, will anyone join in the fun?

No matter what rules set you create, you need to poll the potential pilots to see if they would be interested in such an event. Otherwise you will have a contest of one person.
Old Nov 24, 2008, 10:49 AM
Pensacola, FL, USA
Joined Dec 2000
3,235 Posts
One person contest.

That's the kind I like, except when I lose!

We should always keep the door open for new innovation.
Here's a launch that needs very little area, but there are other requirements.
http://www.charlesriverrc.org/media/...terrocket2.htm
John255
John255 is offline Find More Posts by John255
Old Nov 24, 2008, 11:44 AM
Joined Aug 2007
50 Posts
What started this whole thing was an interest I had in getting a group of Boy Scouts to do a glider build and then have them catapult launch them to see how well they flew. (Simple 4 piece design) Each scout had to build his own glider and all would be given the same amount of balsa. After this was over then get them into building RC gliders. The art of building is almost gone. I talk to new flyer's all the time and they do not have a clue how to build. I was hoping maybe against all odds of reviving the interest and in so doing create a new event., Ray at Skybench is doing OK with balsa gliders.
Old Nov 24, 2008, 12:30 PM
United States, CA, Gardena
Joined Oct 2004
1,083 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr
Scottw10,

If you want a "builder" requirement, that is fine. Now, will anyone join in the fun?

No matter what rules set you create, you need to poll the potential pilots to see if they would be interested in such an event. Otherwise you will have a contest of one person.
Ed has a good point. We didn't restrict the size or type of planes for the Tues. contests. The equalizer has been the hi start and pilot skill.

Our group has been a mix of ARF's, kit builds and lately, some origional designs. We started with a hodge podge of planes, a lot of Wanderers and the little Fling. I built an Ed Depue "Tossette" (8oz. 60") and it was a consistant winner. The other guys followed and we have at least 6-8 scratch built Tossettes. This became the second generation of gliders. The Wanderers have dissappeared.

We got everyone flying with whatever they had and that gave them some time to build or obtain a more suitable plane.

Our rules are very simple. Everyone uses the same club hi-start
Three rounds
2 min. max
4 min. max
5 min. max
No landing points, but you have to land in the park.
No restriction on the plane.

Origionally we had three, 5 min maxes, but no one could come close to that time so we changed it.

The EZG one design contest (Thursdays) was for a change of pace and also to develope landing skills. EZG was a good choice because of the many "dork" landings!

This is three, two minute maxes. 20 second bonus for landing in the 40' circle.

The next step will be precision landings.

All I can say is both contests have been very successful and a lot of fun.

- Norm
Norm Furutani is online now Find More Posts by Norm Furutani
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 24, 2008, 12:43 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,549 Posts
Quote:
What started this whole thing was an interest I had in getting a group of Boy Scouts to do a glider build and then have them catapult launch them to see how well they flew. (Simple 4 piece design) Each scout had to build his own glider and all would be given the same amount of balsa. After this was over then get them into building RC gliders. The art of building is almost gone. I talk to new flyer's all the time and they do not have a clue how to build. I was hoping maybe against all odds of reviving the interest and in so doing create a new event., Ray at Skybench is doing OK with balsa gliders.
Scott,

Thanks for bringing me back to the theme of your questions. I was thinking contest when I typed that, not Boy Scouts learning to build and fly.

Naturally you will set the rules.

AFTER they build them, then find out if any would be willing to fly a contest. If they know a contest is in the plans up front, some might shy away. On the other hand, a contest might be the incentive to get them AND their partents involved.

Sometimes Dads will be disinterested in Boy Scout project, but call it a contest and they get REAL interested. A contest could be a key to the success of the project.

Kind of like the "Pine wood derbys" I used to enter as a scout.
Old Nov 24, 2008, 02:22 PM
Joined Aug 2007
50 Posts
There are so many avenues you can go from here but I think Norm's post solved the main problem. Every one use the same high start with no restrictions on airplane. This may very well be the answer. With this anyone graduating into competition can get involved and have a somewhat equal chance. Great idea.
Old Nov 24, 2008, 07:53 PM
Pensacola, FL, USA
Joined Dec 2000
3,235 Posts
Scott,
I used to keep 3~4 catapult gliders in the trunk for those days when neighbor kids would come by the field. Somehow the kids don't come any more, but we did have a nice dog yesterday.

While looking for the plan I came across another that might be a possible candidate for pre-training graduating to the mini hi-start.

http://home.clara.net/rowil/aviation.../A4polaris.pdf
Regards,
John255
John255 is offline Find More Posts by John255
Old Nov 24, 2008, 08:13 PM
Joined Aug 2007
50 Posts
Thanks again, I printed off the plans and those will be the ones I use.
Old Nov 24, 2008, 10:26 PM
United States, CA, Gardena
Joined Oct 2004
1,083 Posts
Quote:
Scott - For several years, I did a Scout program and another HS age class for the FAA. The classes averaged 30 kids and usually we did AMA Darts (small rubberband powered).

There are 2 cat gliders I would highly recommend:

The first is a real quick build and is minimal in the amount of wood and skill needed. The full-size plans and article are online in the AMA Model Aviation archives. BTW the archives is a great source of past info.

Do a search on:

Title: Mini Catapult Glider

Author: Chuck Markos

Issue: Model Aviation, May, 1999

Summary: This little glider is capable of high-performance flights. When properly built and adjusted, it will reach an altitude of 60-75 feet, make a perfect transition to a glide in left-hand circles, and achieve flight durations of 30-40 seconds. The Mini Catapult Glider is intended to complement the introduction to Free Flight models via the many Delta Dart construction and flying sessions that are held for schools, Scout groups, and AMA-sponsored programs. Its construction is specifically designed for a minimum of skills, time, money, and tools

The second plane is a bit more involved, larger and higher performance potential. This is Stan Buddenbohm's "Scout" kit. They go for $10 each and at that price is an outstanding bargain.

This is a clickable link: http://www.schnable.net/hosted/amaglider/assets/outdoor-gliders/handlaunch_gliders/stans-stuff-2008.html

If you go back to the home page on the above site, there is a bunch of info/plans on FF gliders.

Got to get away from this computer!

- Norm

Norm Furutani is online now Find More Posts by Norm Furutani
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 24, 2008, 11:48 PM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
7,133 Posts
FF gliders are easy to build, but they are hard to trim
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 25, 2008, 06:49 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,549 Posts
They are also easy to lose.
Old Nov 25, 2008, 08:59 PM
Joined Aug 2007
50 Posts
Thanks again for all the information. The ends of my fingers have letter indentations form all the typing.
Old Nov 26, 2008, 12:16 AM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
7,133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr
They are also easy to lose.
Only if you get the trim right. You only lose the good ones.
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member