HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 22, 2008, 03:22 PM
Pensacola, FL, USA
Joined Dec 2000
3,235 Posts
[QUOTE=scottw10]John the 125 ft. is more than enough in a small park.

Scott,
I forgot which poster mentioned beginners need more than a 20~30 sec. flight to make the pulling worthwhile, and I agree.

The 125' was with a 10 knt. breeze. In dead air you would not get near that much with a 25~28oz. plane.

With the the 10.5oz. Photon I get about 160'~180' with about the same breeze.
John255
John255 is offline Find More Posts by John255
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 22, 2008, 04:10 PM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
6,893 Posts
The Easy Glider is pretty light. I think it would be a good choice depending on just how small you made the high start. If I had to be hit by an RC glider, there aren't very many that would hurt less than an Easy Glider, with all that foam.
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: paper blast tube test
Old Nov 22, 2008, 05:11 PM
Pensacola, FL, USA
Joined Dec 2000
3,235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lincoln
The Easy Glider is pretty light. I think it would be a good choice depending on just how small you made the high start. If I had to be hit by an RC glider, there aren't very many that would hurt less than an Easy Glider, with all that foam.
Lincoln,
Yes, I have a highly modified EasyStar that has a nice soft, blunt nose.
If I were going to get hit by a plane Easy would be best in my hangar. That reminds me, did you know if you wanted to kill someone with a musical instrument a banjo would be a good choice weighing 30 lbs. May take hours with a clarinet, for example.
John255
Old Nov 22, 2008, 06:24 PM
United States, CA, Gardena
Joined Oct 2004
1,041 Posts
Earlier in this thread, I mentioned we have a weekly EZ Glider one-design contest. This has been very popular. Within a couple weeks we had a dozen on the field. They fly better than they look and is an EZ (sorry) transition to ailerons. Our group has a mix of experianced and beginner flyers. The EZG can take a lot of abuse. Also, we use the EZ Star as a trainer and the EZG is a good transition.

All I can say is keep it as simple as possible. Once the contests start, you can massage the rules. If it's too complicated at the beginning, you can't get people to commit.

Because we're coming to the end of the year, end of the contest cycle. We had a discussion on whether to change rules and/or the one design plane and everyone seemed to be happy with the current status. If we did change planes, it would probably be the Fling 2M. Also, in our review of the past year(s), it was noted that the skill level has improved dramatically. This was measured in the number of times we had to assemble the 50' glider-in-the tree pole.

- Norm
Norm Furutani is offline Find More Posts by Norm Furutani
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 22, 2008, 09:09 PM
Joined Aug 2007
50 Posts
I think that in the first few posts that one of the rules was a strict 2 channel limit. Post number 11. I liked the EZ but it is an aileron ship. I have been flying all these years and never flew a glider with ailerons because I never learned and like the flying charisterics of the Polyhedral wing. If a new flier gets into trouble all he has to do is let go of the sticks and the polyhedral wing will correct itself. I had one that when I launched it from a standard 100ft. high start I accidentally turned off the receiver. It made a flight of about 3 minutes and a half mile circle and landed less that 20 feet from us. The plane was a highly modified Gentle Lady.
scottw10 is offline Find More Posts by scottw10
Old Nov 22, 2008, 09:36 PM
Joined Oct 2004
1,041 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw10
I think that in the first few posts that one of the rules was a strict 2 channel limit. Post number 11. I liked the EZ but it is an aileron ship. I have been flying all these years and never flew a glider with ailerons because I never learned and like the flying charisterics of the Polyhedral wing. If a new flier gets into trouble all he has to do is let go of the sticks and the polyhedral wing will correct itself.---snip---
EZG would be fine with 2 ch. Elev and ail or elev and rudder. The EZG is pretty stable hands off. Try one if you get a chance. Initially, I was not in favor of this selection but since become a fan. It does still look like a close beer cooler relative.

- Norm
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 22, 2008, 09:41 PM
Joined Aug 2007
50 Posts
I liked the looks of it from what I saw.

http://www.hobbyhorse.com/multiplex.shtml

Here is a link for them. I may go ahead and order one and give it a try as at least 2 of you seem to like it. I am not stuck on anything yet. So far there are three in the running if I am correct.
1. 2X4
2. EZ Glider
3. Fling
I will search to find who has the EX for the best price.
Last edited by scottw10; Nov 23, 2008 at 10:34 AM.
Old Nov 22, 2008, 10:09 PM
Joined Oct 2004
1,041 Posts
Unless you want to do the build, the RR version with servos is the way to go. See: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXMYK9&P=SMFor two ch. use the ailerons (coupled) and leave the rudder servo lead unconnected (connect the pushrod to keep the rudder from moving).

- Norm
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 22, 2008, 11:13 PM
Joined Aug 2007
50 Posts
Thanks Norm.
Old Nov 23, 2008, 02:12 AM
Joined Dec 2001
6,893 Posts
The main thing about the Easy Glider I don't like is that it's an aileron glider. I think it would be better for many purposes if it just had rudder and elevator. It would be really easy to substitute a bent aluminum wing rod and disconnect the ailerons.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 23, 2008, 08:41 AM
Pensacola, FL, USA
Joined Dec 2000
3,235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw10
I liked the looks of it from what I saw.
http://www.hobbyhorse.com/multiplex.shtml
Here is a link for them. I may go ahead and order one and give it a try as at least 2 of you seem to like it. I am not stuck on anything yet. So far there are three in the running if I am correct.1. 2X42. EX Glider3. Fling
I will search to find who has the EX for the best price.
Scott,
I try not to talk about stuff I have no experience with, and I've never seen an EZG, or a Fling, but just looking at the numbers:

EZG= 71", 26oz.
Fling=49", 7oz.

Charles River says the pull required for hi-start should be about 5X the weight of model, so you'd need 130 oz. for the EZG, and 35oz. for the Fling.
That means larger hi-start and more space to operate. You did start out saying 1.5M or less for small parks.

The Fling comes with a mini hi-start so everybody would have the same amount pull. You'd have to check the threads to see if the rubber is any good. And also see what the guys are saying about the Fling.

I have a lot of experience teaching with an EasyStar I can say they will take one hell of a beating and still fly. With tape, of course!

Only way you'll really know is to get one of each and go to the park. What a grand opportunity! You can tell the wife it's a public service.

Lots of luck to you, and thanks for starting this thread. It's been fun.
Regards,
John255
Old Nov 23, 2008, 12:04 PM
Joined Dec 2001
6,893 Posts
Ok, first off, just because a high start is stronger, doesn't mean it has to be longer.

Second, if you're going by the numbers at Tower, they are not to be trusted. They got the Easy Glider's area in square inches WAY off, and who knows what else is wrong. However, if that's all that's wrong, the Easy Glider's loading is about 5.6 oz per square foot, which more or less squares with my experience of how they fly. If you use the 7 oz. for the Fling, which is in the range Tower lists, and you use their area, you get 3.5 oz per square foot. That's lower than the loading they list! I don't know what they actually come out at or the real area.

If you accept the 3.5 oz for the Fling and 5.6 oz for the Easy Glider, then at Cl of 0.7, 1g turn radius will be something like 19 or 20 feet for the Easy Glider and 12 for the Fling. If you believe the high end Tower gives for the Fling, then you get a radius of 15 feet. I believe the numbers for the Easy Glider because they really do come out around the number Tower gives, or maybe an ounce heavier.

However, the effect is probably less than stated above because the Reynold's number on the Fling is much worse. Not much more than half that of the Easy Glider at the same Cl. So there might be less max lift available, and more drag, so the pilot might fly a bit faster to have a little more margin and a little less mush.

So maybe you need 25% to 40% wider spaces for the Easy Glider.

I guess in some sites that would make the difference.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 23, 2008, 07:46 PM
Pensacola, FL, USA
Joined Dec 2000
3,235 Posts
Some prime examples of model plane flying in small public parks.
Model airplane crashes (1 min 5 sec)

John255
Old Nov 23, 2008, 08:02 PM
Joined Aug 2007
50 Posts
The EZ Glider is out of the 60 inch limit. I looked it over and is not where I wanted to go. It seems that the suggestions on air planes keeps getting to longer wing spans. Trying to keep with the original plan was to limit it to a strict 2 channel 60 in. max airplane then try to develop the rules to make it an even playing field as much as possible.
Thanks for the video as I really needed it today.
Old Nov 23, 2008, 08:42 PM
Thermal Naked!
United States, AL, Mobile
Joined Dec 2007
1,642 Posts
Hey Scott?

Have you checked out the Zephyr II? It's an "old school" javelin launch but with laser cutting. I found a review somewhere around here and it seems like it may be on my short list of planes to be built. It's not too expensive either!
www.isthmusmodels.com
Hossfly72 is offline Find More Posts by Hossfly72