HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 15, 2008, 03:07 PM
Joined Aug 2007
50 Posts
Discussion
1.5 M Zip Start Event

I hope this is the correct place to put this. Is there any sort of event where you use a 1.5 M airplane and use a zip start? I am wanting to get a group going that can use this type of event. It is perfect for small parks which we have a lot of. With the zip start everyone launches from the same point and the aircraft does not have to be expensive.
scottw10 is offline Find More Posts by scottw10
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 15, 2008, 04:07 PM
United States, CA, Gardena
Joined Oct 2004
1,038 Posts
We have a group seniors that meet every Tuesday and Thursday for our parkflyer glider contests. Tuesdays, most of us fly old style, 60" handlaunch gliders, and some 2M. Since we had a lot of beginners, the tasks are 2min, 4min and 5. No landing points but you do have to land in the park!

Thurs is one design day, we all fly Multiplex EZ Gliders. 3 - 2 min. maxes with a spot landing.

All flights are on a hi start then we go to lunch at the local pizza joint. We average 10-12 flyers and we have a great time.

Our local Senior Citizen Delinquency Diversion Program - keeps 'us off the road!

- Norm
Norm Furutani is online now Find More Posts by Norm Furutani
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 15, 2008, 04:22 PM
Joined Aug 2007
50 Posts
Norm thank you for your post. I am 66 and that is the whole reason that I am trying to get something like this started. It keeps the grey matter from drying up. There is a well know HLG author and I won't mention his name but he was telling me that another renowned glider pilot who is now to the point he has to have someone launch for him but he is still able to fly. We may need to get a seniors section going. Hope we get more replies.
Old Nov 15, 2008, 07:12 PM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,019 Posts
Hi Scott,

What area of the country do you live in? Reason I ask is that the 1.5M stuff is getting popular around here. I, personally, am a really young guy , only 51 on my last BD, but there are some really ancient guys here like John255 that fly this size off a small histart. As a matter of fact I may very well start launching more that way than DLG since I apparently have damaged my shoulder (rotator cuff) within the last month due to my poor discus form. I'll PM John and have him post comments about his experiences doing this. It's a blast and I would like to get some sort of organized meets going on the near future.

Sean
seanpcola is offline Find More Posts by seanpcola
Old Nov 15, 2008, 07:24 PM
Thermal Naked!
United States, AL, Mobile
Joined Dec 2007
1,639 Posts
I'm only 40 but I'd be interested in it. Especially if we could talk some 10 or 12 year old kids into retrieveing the zip starts for us! They have SO much energy that goes to waste if you don't put 'em to work doing something.
Hossfly72 is offline Find More Posts by Hossfly72
Old Nov 15, 2008, 07:41 PM
Pensacola, FL, USA
Joined Dec 2000
3,235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw10
I hope this is the correct place to put this. Is there any sort of event where you use a 1.5 M airplane and use a zip start? I am wanting to get a group going that can use this type of event. It is perfect for small parks which we have a lot of. With the zip start everyone launches from the same point and the aircraft does not have to be expensive.
Scott,
I don't know what kind event, where, or what form you have in mind. I am a senior, and as Sean says, only certainly rocks are older than me.

I like the one and 1.5M size gliders for several reasons, and do a lot of posting on the HL forum even though I now must use a mini Hi-start.

In our small group I'm the only one using the hi-start, but I don't mind if the younger guys use it to jerk their planes off a bit higher than they can throw them. It's the least I can do for these fellows because is a crying shame how little they know about the early cowboy movie stars.

Tell us more about what you have in mind.
Regards,
John255

The activity Norm posted about sounds absolutely terrific.
John255 is offline Find More Posts by John255
Old Nov 15, 2008, 07:43 PM
Joined Aug 2007
50 Posts
I live in Tulsa and by all means get some people involved. I have had 2 heart attacks and cannot DHL, as a matter of fact thinking about it hurts. I am not alone in this as there has to be bunches of people who would welcome this type of event. For those who need a retriever you can see who has a riding mower that you can take the cutting blade off and use it for a retrieve cart, works really well. We used to line up the flyer's and whoever was up next went down field and waited for the line to come down and then walk to the launching spot. This way no one has to do it all. If you have someone there that cannot walk that much there should be someone who will not mind getting the exercise. I heard of one group that paid a couple of boy scouts to retrieve for them.
Old Nov 15, 2008, 07:50 PM
Thermal Naked!
Joined Dec 2007
1,639 Posts
It'd be a good way to teach some younger kids how to fly also. Everybody says bigger flies better, but smaller flies in more spaces and is cheaper to build. Besides, some of the best days of my life involved nothing more than me and an old Skeeter..
Old Nov 15, 2008, 07:53 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,019 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John255
In our small group I'm the only one using the hi-start, but I don't mind if the younger guys use it to jerk their planes off a bit higher than they can throw them. It's the least I can do for these fellows because is a crying shame how little they know about the early cowboy movie stars.

Hey Old Man,

I take issue with that! I do know..........a little.............about cowboy movie stars! My wife has an encyclopaedic knowledge of them and is kind enough to tell me everything I NEED to know!
Old Nov 15, 2008, 08:19 PM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
6,826 Posts
In the '80s, I went to a contest in Rhode Island where they launched with 4 high starts, I think simultaneously. The high starts were probably sized best for 2M or light 100". (you wouldn't be using them to launch a Duck)

Frank Weston once ran an event where you could throw your hlg or use this rubber thing he had set up between two poles. I don't remember much about it, but I think it worked.

I may set up something like this as my shoulder heals, but I'm hoping in a couple of months of careful lifting, I'll have my shoulder up to full force again. Those of you who want to dlg next year may be well advised to do some strength exercises over the next few months so you don't get hurt in the new season. If you don't want to go to the gym, you can set up some easy rotator cuff exercises using a bungee, small dumbells, etc. I understand that pushups are not a bad idea.

This summer I felt that I was finally getting the hang of dlg launches. Then I launched an Apogee, and simultaneously heard impressed comments from spectators and felt something was not right in my shoulder.

So, if things don't feel right, it may be very prudent to use a little high start.
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: paper blast tube test
Old Nov 15, 2008, 08:29 PM
Joined Aug 2007
50 Posts
I learned to fly with a Skeeter. I bought 3 of them and when I was flying one I was building the other. By the time I got to the 3 one I able to fly. I started off only throwing it straight and gradually started turning. Then came the zip start. I used that same outfit to teach others to fly and you are absolutely right about young people getting interested. I saw one person who got a group of boy scouts and had them making and flying FF catapult gliders. Small planes and Small spaces seem to work. Here there is a School yard, park or open field every half mile.
What Norm posted is what I am looking for. We can work around that. If we get enough interest I am sure this forum will give us our own topic. I think a lot of people have been thinking about it but needed someone to get it going. One other point is that in a residential area you do not want to get something up there too far in case of a fly away. With the 1.5M planes you can keep them close. One of the problems I have is my eyes no longer can see a speck in the sky. This can have simple rules.
1. Limit wing to 60 inch or shorter.
2. 2 channel only.
3. Same size zip starts. Example 3/16 tubing and 100' of line. Can change per event. You might want a shooter line or smaller tubing.
4. Short duration, spot landing, most circles, figure 8s, anything that can be fun and not serious. The main thing is to keep it cheap and fun so every one can have a good time. You could go so far as make it balsa only or a vintage design.
These are only ideas and more input from others needed.
Last edited by scottw10; Nov 15, 2008 at 08:40 PM.
Old Nov 15, 2008, 08:47 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,019 Posts
Amen to Lincoln's comments about preparing and working up to DLG.
Old Nov 16, 2008, 09:08 AM
Pensacola, FL, USA
Joined Dec 2000
3,235 Posts
Scott,
This really sounds great! Count me in!
So your hope is if there is enough response RCG we may get a dedicated category for 1.5M and smaller.

May be good to start talking about the launch because that determines needed space. You are lucky to have so many large parks.

The term Zip-Start gets used for Hi-Start but they are different. One supplier of The Zip is Aerofoam. It is 15' rubber, and 25' line and can be used in 100' space.
http://www.aerofoam.com/hosemonster.html

I don't have any experience with these, but they sound to me like a lot of pull, lot of speed for jets, etc, and some risk. As you know the smaller HL ships can are hard too hold with a lot of pull. In a public park you also don't need the pin becoming a missile.

Sky Bench makes a good mini hi-start, but I don't recommend it any longer because of price and his high shipping cost.

Probably best may be the Dynaflight Up-Start which is 25' 1/8" ID rubber, 100' line with chute for $28 at Tower.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXE637&P=V

This one needs min 300' launch space.
I'm searching for a source for mandrel formed 3/16" thick wall UV protected tubing.

There's not much to building them. Maybe somebody's wife might start a cottage industry for the chutes. I have a small one that works good. Not a wife, but a chute.

I guess that's enough for now.
Regards,
John255
John255 is offline Find More Posts by John255
Old Nov 16, 2008, 09:21 AM
Thermal Naked!
Joined Dec 2007
1,639 Posts
John mentioned Skybench and Dynaflight for the upstart. I've got the Dynaflight and it works great. The line or the rubber could be shortened with no problems. As it is though, I only get about 200 feet of altitude from it so it's not like a rocket pack or anything.

I was also thinking about the Skybench Lil BoT or the Zephyr from Mark's Models as good 1.5m woodies. There's also the Merlin from M&M Glidertech and the Chrysalis. Dynaflite stopped building the Skeeter. I managed to get one of the last and have some plans on ways to mod it for updated performance.

Still too windy to fly over here today John. Maybe it'll calm down a bit over your way so you can test fly that new wing. I cleaned the building room yesterday and plan to mess it back up sometime soon (maybe today! depending on Honey-do's).

How about a national (or international) postal contest for old school HLG's?
No discus launch, short upstart, woodies only (carbon fiber wing reinforcements allowed), 1 week duration of contest, longest flight within that week wins a "Hurrah" from all as a prize? Posted pics and details of the model so everybody can enjoy seeing what's being built and flown. A bonus "hurrah" for anybody that gets good times from a javelin style launch. My money is on John255 to win the first Hurrah since I've seen him flying that Gambler/BoT wing combo!
Last edited by Hossfly72; Nov 16, 2008 at 09:51 AM.
Old Nov 16, 2008, 09:52 AM
Clearlake, CA. USA
Joined Jun 2000
1,020 Posts
Old Yo Poor Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanpcola
Hi Scott,

What area of the country do you live in? Reason I ask is that the 1.5M stuff is getting popular around here. I, personally, am a really young guy , only 51 on my last BD, but there are some really ancient guys here like John255 that fly this size off a small histart. As a matter of fact I may very well start launching more that way than DLG since I apparently have damaged my shoulder (rotator cuff) within the last month due to my poor discus form. I'll PM John and have him post comments about his experiences doing this. It's a blast and I would like to get some sort of organized meets going on the near future.

Sean

I'm'ah turning 60 and your complain'in.... gotta get mine set up so I can play to..... The Sarge (Petty Officer) in tells me to tell you get that shoulder looked at....... NOW

Wylie
Wylie Shaw is offline Find More Posts by Wylie Shaw