Old Nov 14, 2008, 11:30 AM
RCG Staff Member
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Oct 2003
5,478 Posts
Discussion
Gee Bee Senior Sportster 63" ARF

ACW630 Gee Bee Senior Sportster 63" ARF

63" wingspan, 47" long, 652 sq. in. wing area, 6-1/2 lbs. flying weight. Just the right size for easy transport and has great flying qualities. All precision laser cut, expertly assembled and covered. Pre-finished epoxyglass cowl and wheel pants, molded dummy radial engine. Pre-bent heavy wire landing gear and steerable tail wheel. Assembly is quick, the photo illustrated instructions will allow you to complete the airplane in about 8-12 hours. The flight character of the airplane is solid and predictable with a gentle stall and light wing loading. Airplane can perform just about any aerobatic maneuver that the pilot is capable of. Because the airplane uses a 4 cell lipo battery we recommend a Jeti Spin controller with BEC that can provide the power for your radio system and servos. For 4 channels: Ailerons (2 servos), Elevator, Rudder (pull-pull) and Throttle.

For more information and to watch the video click HERE

Use this thread to discuss any and all things related to Gee Bee Senior Sportster 63" ARF
Jason Cole is online now Find More Posts by Jason Cole
Administrator
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 15, 2008, 07:14 AM
Gig Harbor, WA
Joined Nov 2001
79 Posts
Park 480

Ive been drooling over this plane since it came out. Question= would a Park 480 on 3s or perhaps 4s be enough power for this plane?

Thanks

Dan
Dan Rubin is offline Find More Posts by Dan Rubin
Last edited by Dan Rubin; Dec 15, 2008 at 09:15 AM.
Old Mar 20, 2009, 05:41 PM
Western PA, USA
Joined Oct 2005
158 Posts
Anybody here assembled and/or flown this baby yet? I see threads for the bigger and smaller ones, but would very much like to see/learn more about this one. Bueller...?
rallison is offline Find More Posts by rallison
Old Mar 20, 2009, 09:37 PM
USA, TN, Murfreesboro
Joined Sep 2006
2,172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Rubin
Ive been drooling over this plane since it came out. Question= would a Park 480 on 3s or perhaps 4s be enough power for this plane?

Thanks

Dan
No. This plane is much, much too big for a Park 480.
PerlAddict is offline Find More Posts by PerlAddict
Old Mar 23, 2009, 11:02 AM
Gig Harbor, WA
Joined Nov 2001
79 Posts
Gee Bee 63

Yeah I figured that out. What was I thinking. I bought the recomended motor and put together the Gee Bee. Easy build. Now just waiting for a good day to fly.
Old Mar 23, 2009, 08:38 PM
Western PA, USA
Joined Oct 2005
158 Posts
Dan, do you have any pics of your motor/battery/esc installation?

Either way, do let us know how the flying goes... I'm considering this plane and would like to know more--but this is the only discussion of it I've found anywhere. If you know of others, please point me in the right direction...
Old Mar 25, 2009, 11:55 PM
Gig Harbor, WA
Joined Nov 2001
79 Posts
Gee Bee 63

Hello

Dont have my camera handy but I can tell you there is only one place the 4s battery can go. Even with the battery all the way forward up against the firewall I still had to add 3 ozs of lead on top of the engine mount to get it to balance at 3.5 inches from LE. The esc is mounted next to the battery. Perhaps if I move it forward underneath the cowling I can get it to ballance. I will also be taking off the pants as I have a field in my back yard but the LZ is a little rough..... but I'm not complaining. I might modify them and put them back on after a few flights. Still looking for that perfect maiden day.

Dan
Old Mar 26, 2009, 04:48 AM
Western PA, USA
Joined Oct 2005
158 Posts
Thanks for the info, Dan--here's hoping the weather cooperates soon!
Old Mar 29, 2009, 06:19 PM
Western PA, USA
Joined Oct 2005
158 Posts
Quote:
Hello

Dont have my camera handy but I can tell you there is only one place the 4s battery can go. Even with the battery all the way forward up against the firewall I still had to add 3 ozs of lead on top of the engine mount to get it to balance at 3.5 inches from LE. The esc is mounted next to the battery. Perhaps if I move it forward underneath the cowling I can get it to ballance. I will also be taking off the pants as I have a field in my back yard but the LZ is a little rough..... but I'm not complaining. I might modify them and put them back on after a few flights. Still looking for that perfect maiden day.

Dan
Dan, I'm very close to pulling the trigger on this plane, to the point that I'm figuring out equipment/costs. To that end: Are you using standard-size servos, or something smaller, or...?

Thanks for your help...
Old Mar 29, 2009, 08:33 PM
Gig Harbor, WA
Joined Nov 2001
79 Posts
Servos

If you choose one HS422 and three HS322 they will fit perfectly in place with some minor shaving of one of the servo mounts. These are standard servos and they are inexpensive. Yes!
Old Mar 30, 2009, 03:45 PM
Western PA, USA
Joined Oct 2005
158 Posts
Well, I've gone and done it. Kit, supplies, and electronics should be here next week. Yeee-haa! Thanks for the info, it helped me make up my mind...
Old Apr 02, 2009, 09:28 PM
Western PA, USA
Joined Oct 2005
158 Posts
Kit arrived to day in perfect condition. Electronics should be here in a week or so. In the meantime I'm busying myself planning a few modifications to the plane's appearance to add/improve scale details. I'm thinking of aiming for something like the Senior Sportster reproduction in the picture.

Anybody know if Callie or some other source already has graphics for the Model Y?
Old Apr 02, 2009, 09:39 PM
Gig Harbor, WA
Joined Nov 2001
79 Posts
Gee Bee 63

congrads on your purchase. I'm all ready to maiden but I need something other than rain. geeeez you would think this is Seattle or sometin
Really would like to see if you have to add weight to the nose to get it to balance at 3.5 inches.

Dan
Old Apr 06, 2009, 05:56 AM
Western PA, USA
Joined Oct 2005
158 Posts
Quote:
congrads on your purchase. I'm all ready to maiden but I need something other than rain. geeeez you would think this is Seattle or sometin
Really would like to see if you have to add weight to the nose to get it to balance at 3.5 inches.

Dan
We're about to get some SNOW here. You'd think this was Minnesota or something... ;-) Sheesh.

As for CG: I won't know for sure 'til the electronics arrive, but if it won't balance without added weight I'm considering cutting a pass-through in the firewall to push the 4S1P 5000 mAh LiPo forward into the open space within the wooden motor mount.
Old Apr 06, 2009, 07:28 AM
Western PA, USA
Joined Oct 2005
158 Posts
Before I ordered the plane, I looked around the HL website but could not find the .pdf of the assembly manual for this 63" version.

Now that I have it, I've pdf'ed the manual in case anyone's interested in browsing it. Not the best quality, but better than none. It's too big to post here, but if you PM me with e-mail addy I will send this 9.7MB .pdf file to you.

Aside from the assembly sequence, the important data includes recommended throws, exponential %, and CG:

Ailerons: 1" up, 3/4" down, 10% exp.
Rudder: 1" left, 1" right, 10% exp.
Elevator: 3/4" up, 3/4" down, 10% exp.
CG: 3-1/2" from LE
Last edited by rallison; Apr 06, 2009 at 07:39 AM. Reason: Add .pdf