HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 23, 2009, 12:12 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Coastal Maine
Joined Jun 2007
856 Posts
Thanks Phil, The Bulldog came today. What a nice looking tank! Great doing business with you, and I hope to again. I hear there's a Sherman in the works. hehehe
graphixman is offline Find More Posts by graphixman
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 07, 2009, 10:30 PM
United States, CA, Ridgecrest
Joined Aug 2007
518 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by graphixman
Thanks Phil, The Bulldog came today. What a nice looking tank! Great doing business with you, and I hope to again. I hear there's a Sherman in the works. hehehe
Bad to the bone.....Some one is jazzed about there new Tank Cool!!!
peskeybobcat is offline Find More Posts by peskeybobcat
Old Mar 26, 2009, 11:15 AM
Western Pennsylvania
Joined Oct 2004
797 Posts
Found this on youtube.com, pretty neat video.

landing craft 1/16 (2 min 52 sec)
Norm66 is offline Find More Posts by Norm66
Old Mar 26, 2009, 11:28 AM
UK
Joined Oct 2008
107 Posts
oh god its the crazy frog!!! :S
michelekingtig is offline Find More Posts by michelekingtig
Old Apr 03, 2009, 10:51 PM
Joined Aug 2007
518 Posts
Nice landing craft.....
Old Apr 20, 2009, 11:01 AM
Joined Apr 2009
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peskeybobcat
I am a WWII History Buff mostly in the field of aircraft but I do have some in the field of armor did you no that the frontal armor on the T34 was only 2'' thick and that it was the sloped armor that let them get away with that?
And did you no that the T34 was the best of the best in tank technology of that time?

Captured / Foreign Equipment Registry
Since 1938, the German Army was using large number of captured equipment from handguns to tanks. During World War II, the German Army was equipped with large number of captured or produced under German supervision tanks. Beute Panzerkampfwagen (Booty Panzers) were gathered at special collection points, where they were examined and it was then decided if they can be of any use to its new owners. If possible, useful tanks were taken to factories where they were built (for example in France) and repaired, modified and painted in German colors and markings. Some of the foreign/captured tanks were put in the active service with special captured tank units (formed in May of 1940) of Panzer or Infantry Divisions in various roles such as reconnaissance. Interesting fact is that some units (e.g. Panzer Abteilung 216 in the Channel Islands) or even divisions (eg. 7th SS Freiwillingen Gebirgs Division "Prinz Eugen" in the Balkans) were totally equipped with captured equipment. Although most common practice was the conversion of foreign tanks into various weapon carriers. Some captured or foreign tanks were converted and armed with captured weapons such as Soviet 76.2mm ZIS-3 and F-22 guns (such as Marder series). Some number of tanks was converted into other supplementary vehicles such as artillery tractors. Some foreign tanks were used for training purposes, while some were used for internal policing duties in occupied territories (Polizei-Panzerkampfwagen). Many were briefly used by the Germans and were later on used for target practice or were handed over to the German Allies or even abandoned. Other captured tanks such as Soviet T-34's were pressed into service by Germans due to their superiority and simply because of the lack of tanks. Some examples of captured tanks were not pressed into service and were only used for tests (for example at Kummersdorf facility), target practice or were simply scraped.
the T-34 wasnt the best of the best in tank technology in ww2 there were just insane amounts of them the American M4 and about all of the German tanks were much much more advanced then the Russian T-34. it wasnt superrior to any german tank after 42' Von Rundsted made the mistake of equipping the Pz3 ith the 37 nd not the 50mm L/60 like other generals wanted

it didnt have radios, nor did it have any non-crude form of optics, plus the russians didnt invent sloped armor it was the swedes in 33' but the german army was using sloped armor in the early 30s too for their AIFVs(Sd.Kfz 250-251 &252,253 the worlds first AIFVS the 250&251 that is)

did you know that the 88mm KwK43 L/71 was the most powerfull gun up till the mid 60s the british L7 is basically an enlarged version
the 120mm gun is an entirely new german design first made by Rheinmetall-Borsig
tiger001 is offline Find More Posts by tiger001
Old Apr 20, 2009, 01:59 PM
Tennessee
Joined Apr 2009
5,476 Posts
Having been a tanker in the USA and also a history major I think I know a little about this and both arguments have some merit. The German tanks were superior in about every facet to the allied tanks with the exception of reliability and numbers.

With armor the trade offs are Armor and fire power vs. mobility and this is why many consider the T-34 to be the best tank of the war. I don't agree with this but it was the best combination of speed, mobility, firepower and survivability. It was crude and simplistic but with the high velocity 76, could take on any German tank. There were limitations however in its gunsights, crew training, armored tactics and communications as stated before.

All things considered including communications and crew training, I would have to put the Panther as the best overall of WWII provided it was kept operational.

One of the key things to remember is that the tank is only one part of a combined arms assault or defense and often times the odds were not even particularly when it came to air superiority. If the allies did not own the air over Western Europe, the German tanks would have had a field day w/ US/British armor.

If interested, there is a website that I will try to get that has pages of 1st hand accounts from American tankers on the Western front. Not for the sqeaumish. Those were some brave men. They did'nt call the Sherman the "Ronson" for nothing. Also there is a book by "Belton Cooper" who was an ordinance officer who recovered knocked out Shermans. THere are some graphic storys in there as well as a lot of pics I've never seen.

Regards,
Alan
GiusedtoBe is offline Find More Posts by GiusedtoBe
Old Apr 21, 2009, 03:31 AM
Joined Dec 2008
45 Posts
Alan, I would like to see that website if you can find it.
Thanx Mozz
Mozzbie47 is offline Find More Posts by Mozzbie47
Old Apr 21, 2009, 09:21 PM
Tennessee
Joined Apr 2009
5,476 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozzbie47
Alan, I would like to see that website if you can find it.
Thanx Mozz

I'm pretty sure this is it but its been awhile since I read through it. A lot of memories of old buddies and gals back home but some pretty harrowing stuff as well.

http://www.tankbooks.com/tanksfor/contents.htm

The book by Belton Cooper is "Death Traps". A good read.

Regards,
Alan
GiusedtoBe is offline Find More Posts by GiusedtoBe
Old Apr 22, 2009, 04:49 PM
Joined Feb 2009
102 Posts
Phil... Mine will be here Friday. I am hoping before I leave.. Great thread!

Damon
HeliVidD is offline Find More Posts by HeliVidD
Old Sep 19, 2009, 02:48 PM
Joined Aug 2007
518 Posts
Where the is the 1/16 henlong sherman??