SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 14, 2008, 10:39 AM
United States, CA, Ridgecrest
Joined Aug 2007
518 Posts
Discussion
Tank History Buffs WWII

I am a WWII History Buff mostly in the field of aircraft but I do have some in the field of armor did you no that the frontal armor on the T34 was only 2'' thick and that it was the sloped armor that let them get away with that?
And did you no that the T34 was the best of the best in tank technology of that time?

Captured / Foreign Equipment Registry
Since 1938, the German Army was using large number of captured equipment from handguns to tanks. During World War II, the German Army was equipped with large number of captured or produced under German supervision tanks. Beute Panzerkampfwagen (Booty Panzers) were gathered at special collection points, where they were examined and it was then decided if they can be of any use to its new owners. If possible, useful tanks were taken to factories where they were built (for example in France) and repaired, modified and painted in German colors and markings. Some of the foreign/captured tanks were put in the active service with special captured tank units (formed in May of 1940) of Panzer or Infantry Divisions in various roles such as reconnaissance. Interesting fact is that some units (e.g. Panzer Abteilung 216 in the Channel Islands) or even divisions (eg. 7th SS Freiwillingen Gebirgs Division "Prinz Eugen" in the Balkans) were totally equipped with captured equipment. Although most common practice was the conversion of foreign tanks into various weapon carriers. Some captured or foreign tanks were converted and armed with captured weapons such as Soviet 76.2mm ZIS-3 and F-22 guns (such as Marder series). Some number of tanks was converted into other supplementary vehicles such as artillery tractors. Some foreign tanks were used for training purposes, while some were used for internal policing duties in occupied territories (Polizei-Panzerkampfwagen). Many were briefly used by the Germans and were later on used for target practice or were handed over to the German Allies or even abandoned. Other captured tanks such as Soviet T-34's were pressed into service by Germans due to their superiority and simply because of the lack of tanks. Some examples of captured tanks were not pressed into service and were only used for tests (for example at Kummersdorf facility), target practice or were simply scraped.
peskeybobcat is offline Find More Posts by peskeybobcat
Last edited by peskeybobcat; Nov 16, 2008 at 08:13 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 14, 2008, 06:37 PM
Escondido, California
Joined Apr 2007
925 Posts
Hey Pesky,

I thought you might want some baby pictures!!!!

Your tank came in it looks good, and drives excellent!

Will add the mod we talked about and ship tomorrow! Sweet tank they have really improved since I bought my P-III! Hatches open, very cool good deatail!

The Blitz
Blitzkrieg65 is offline Find More Posts by Blitzkrieg65
Old Nov 14, 2008, 07:49 PM
Joined Aug 2007
518 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg65
Hey Pesky,

I thought you might want some baby pictures!!!!

Your tank came in it looks good, and drives excellent!

Will add the mod we talked about and ship tomorrow! Sweet tank they have really improved since I bought my P-III! Hatches open, very cool good deatail!

The Blitz
O Yaaa Sweet That is so cool looking and it runs.shoots,smokes Very Nice !!!!! See all you newbies this is how you buy your first Tank took all the problems away up front. You can find cheep deals but you will also find out why it was so cheep with No PR .. If you are a experienced Tank builder then you probably would get away with it..
Last edited by peskeybobcat; Nov 15, 2008 at 07:21 AM.
Old Nov 15, 2008, 08:06 AM
Joined Aug 2007
518 Posts
Work Horse Panzer

Photo is of a panzer in my History book of WWII take note the lights are on the finders..
Last edited by peskeybobcat; Nov 16, 2008 at 05:25 PM.
Old Nov 15, 2008, 01:19 PM
Escondido, California
Joined Apr 2007
925 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peskeybobcat
Photo is of a panzer in my History book of WWII take note the lights are on the finders..
Pesky,

There are many variant to the Panzer III, Not all had the lights on the fender, but some did!

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...%3Den%26sa%3DG

The Blitz
Old Nov 15, 2008, 03:00 PM
Joined Aug 2007
518 Posts
Quote:
Pesky,

There are many variant to the Panzer III, Not all had the lights on the fender, but some did!

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...%3Den%26sa%3DG

The Blitz
Very cool history site I will read that for sure Thanks Blitz and I was not complaining about the lights but only pointing it out just because You will find with me I am more into the history end of this hobby rather then actually playing with the tank but it is nice to see it work like the real thing.. So I guess you can say my tanks will be for show more than anything else..However I look forward to when the Sherman comes out so please see to it I get one of the first one Thanks... I will start saving now for it..
Last edited by peskeybobcat; Nov 15, 2008 at 03:06 PM.
Old Nov 15, 2008, 03:05 PM
Escondido, California
Joined Apr 2007
925 Posts
Quote:
Very cool history site I will read that for sure Thanks Blitz and I was not complaining about the lights but only pointing it out just because You will find with me I am more into the history end of this hobby rather then actually playing with the tank but it is nice to see it work like the real thing..

I hear you Pesky one of my best customers was a tank commander in Korea and he has restored many real tanks to be historically accurate for a few of the museums on the east cost so he is very much into having things right!
I have learned a ton from him!

The Blitz
Old Nov 15, 2008, 03:10 PM
Joined Aug 2007
518 Posts
Quote:
I hear you Pesky one of my best customers was a tank commander in Korea and he has restored many real tanks to be historically accurate for a few of the museums on the east cost so he is very much into having things right!
I have learned a ton from him!

The Blitz
Well darn you answered to quickly I was still working the post so here it is again..

Very cool history site I will read that for sure Thanks Blitz and I was not complaining about the lights but only pointing it out just because You will find with me I am more into the history end of this hobby rather then actually playing with the tank but it is nice to see it work like the real thing.. So I guess you can say my tanks will be for show more than anything else..However I look forward to when the Sherman comes out so please see to it I get one of the first one Thanks... I will start saving now for it..
Old Nov 15, 2008, 03:27 PM
Escondido, California
Joined Apr 2007
925 Posts
Quote:
Well darn you answered to quickly I was still working the post so here it is again..

Oh I will, I have one reserved for me too, I think most of us are waiting for that Baby!

The Blitz
Old Nov 15, 2008, 05:57 PM
Joined Aug 2007
518 Posts
I must say them Germans sure did no how to build a tank I often wondered how many of are boys went to there deaths because we lagged behind in tank technology of that time period? Looks like the numbers were up there it did not look like they had much sloped armor up until late in the war until the super King Tiger came out Then I was starting to see sloped armor on the tanks but I think by then they were beaten back so hared that they could not apply it to the medium tanks or they just did not see a reason for sloped armor on there medium and small thanks??
Last edited by peskeybobcat; Nov 15, 2008 at 06:06 PM.
Old Nov 16, 2008, 10:29 AM
Joined Aug 2007
518 Posts
No History Buffs out there today??? I thought this one would take off for sure... Is this Forum That Dull??
D-Day +1
Last edited by peskeybobcat; Nov 17, 2008 at 10:50 AM.
Old Nov 17, 2008, 10:12 AM
Joined Aug 2007
518 Posts
D-Day +2 Well I am just going to keep it alive By talking to my self inputs welcome I am a radio Ham operator if you want to know more about that and me you may look me up on QRZ.COM my call sing is KI6PSU just put the call sing in the small box in the upper left hand corner and you will get my profile..
Last edited by peskeybobcat; Nov 17, 2008 at 10:43 AM.
Old Nov 17, 2008, 11:52 PM
Joined Aug 2007
518 Posts
OK Blitz The tank arrived today and every thing looks good Very happy Thank you for helping me with my first tank..Now I can void the warranty by tinkering with it.. Lol!!! So you don't have to worry about this baby coming back. The Fan was a mod job but turned out grate I put it in line with the battery so it stays on all the time until you unplug the battery.. However I plan to make my own battery pack with some 3700 NmHi to extend running time and when the brushes in the motors start giving me trouble I will replace them with COBAULT motors.
Last edited by peskeybobcat; Nov 22, 2008 at 01:12 PM.
Old Nov 18, 2008, 02:56 AM
Escondido, California
Joined Apr 2007
925 Posts
[QUOTE=peskeybobcat]OK Blitz The tank arrived today and every thing looks good Very happy Thank you for helping me with my first tank..Now I can void the warranty by tinkering with it.. Lol!!! So you don't have to worry about this baby coming back. The Fan was a mod job but turned out grate I put it in line with the battery so it stays on all the time until you unplug the battery.. However I plan to make my own battery pack with some 3700 NmHi to extend running time and when the brushes in the motors start giving me trouble I will replace them with COBAULT motors.[/QUOT

Its a sweet tank Pesky!!! IT drive great doesn't it! I would have just tilted the fan and glued it down on the top, but you definately have a good air intake there! To connect the fan to the switch so it does not stay on all the time! You just remove the 3 little black screws on the outside of the tank, but one or two are kind of stripped so, you need a long slender flat head screw driver to put a little presure on the bracket holding the screws on and back them out, then you can get to the power switch! Anyway enjoy your tank and you still are covered with me, unless you drive it off a cliff Hey get out and shoot a ground hog or a squire in the park down here I could drive right up too them and blast away because they are not afraid of this thing coming at them that they have never seen!
The Blitz
Old Nov 18, 2008, 07:37 PM
Joined Aug 2007
518 Posts
Airsoft upgrade

Well I could not stand it anymore so into the airsoft gun I went...The components was not as complicated as I thought..Read the airsoft upgrade on the other site and I ended up putting a rubber spacer about a 1/2"long inside the plunger as to give the spring some more Giddy up.. It worked and worked good also I took note that there was no lube on the slide for the plunger so I used some white lithium grease and it seem to help I guess I should of took photo but I was having so much fun I forgot anyway The gun is killer now hits hard..
Last edited by peskeybobcat; Nov 19, 2008 at 12:11 PM.