RCG Staff Member
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Oct 2003
5,117 Posts
Discussion
Giant Scale "Stinson 108" ARF

RCM4108B "Stinson 108" ARF, Blue & Cream
RCM4108R "Stinson 108" ARF, Red & Cream

108-1/2" wingspan, 81" long, 1680 sq. in. wing area, 19-1/2 lbs. flying weight. The Stinson is one of the most attractive civilian aircraft of the post WW2 period. It could carry 4 people and do it in style. Our version of this airplane is all built-up conventional wood construction from precision laser cut parts. Each model is expertly built by a single technician dedicated to producing an outstanding model. The covering is genuine Oracover, known world-wide for its superior performance. The colors are original factory stock paint schemes, either red over cream or blue over cream. In either case the epoxy glass cowl and wheel pants are painted to match the covering. The landing gear is a robust all-carbon fiber unit, suitable for years of use even under adverse conditions. The wings have scale rib spacing and internally driven flaps. Rudder is a pull-pull system and each elevator half is individually driven. Access to the interior of the fuselage is provided by a large hatch in the center of the wing. Designed for gas motors of 26cc or larger, we built ours with a large AXI 5345 Outrunner brushless motor. Either choice provides you a model with excellent performance. With a 10 cell 6000 mAh battery our flight times are 10-12 minutes with reserve. The big Stinson's handling both on the ground and in the air is a total joy, very easy to fly and responsive. For those who want a big elegant airplane that will bring a smile to your face each time you fly, the Stinson is your choice. For 6-channel radio (minimum): Ailerons (2 servos), Flaps (2 servos), Elevator (2 servos), Rudder and Throttle.

For more information and to watch the video click HERE

Use this thread to discuss any and all things related to Giant Scale "Stinson 108" ARF
Jason Cole is online now Find More Posts by Jason Cole
Administrator
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 13, 2008, 08:56 PM
Banned
USA, NJ, Wantage
Joined Jul 2008
285 Posts
I saw this plane at the NEAT Fair. A beautiful aircraft. The quality of the plane is top notch! Quite impressive indeed. I must say though that the price tag is a bit of a shock
ACooper is offline Find More Posts by ACooper
Old Dec 21, 2008, 07:41 AM
Launch the drones ...
Ashtabula, OH USA
Joined May 1999
2,707 Posts
But the Hobby-Lobby website has only a few pics, and small ones at that, which prevent me from pressing the "buy" button - because they simply don't answer enough questions, for sucy a pricey model. Questions about the quality of the ARF, cannot be addressed with a couple of small pics.
Tim Green is offline Find More Posts by Tim Green
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New Camera Tilter in Flight
Old Dec 21, 2008, 08:32 AM
When's the next fly-in?
Tanner, Alabama
Joined Oct 2003
6,395 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Green
But the Hobby-Lobby website has only a few pics, and small ones at that, which prevent me from pressing the "buy" button - because they simply don't answer enough questions, for sucy a pricey model. Questions about the quality of the ARF, cannot be addressed with a couple of small pics.
I saw that Stinson at SEFF 2008 and was really impressed. One of the best-looking giant-scale RC plane I've ever laid eyes on. Here's a few pictures I snapped of it.

Andy
dee-grose is online now Find More Posts by dee-grose
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 21, 2008, 11:00 AM
Launch the drones ...
Ashtabula, OH USA
Joined May 1999
2,707 Posts
Yeah - it does look good. I've been holding off because of the exposed elevator servos, and the way the tail boot is quite visible where it overlaps the top of the fuse. The rest of it has my heart though, and I'll likely end up ordering one.
Tim Green is offline Find More Posts by Tim Green
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New Camera Tilter in Flight
Old Jan 18, 2009, 01:51 AM
What the Pfotenhauer?
Raleigh, NC
Joined Mar 2008
157 Posts
We had one of these in the shop for a while (East R/C), and my pops ended up giving it to me for Christmas/Birthday since he knew how in love with it I was. So I've just been trying to make room to start building her. I'm just wondering what engine I should put on there. I'm definitely not going electric on this one. I was hoping to use a Saito Golden Knight 300 Twin, but I think it's just a tad too big for the cowl. Maybe a DL-50, SPE-43 or Zenoah 45....I dunno. Anyone flying these yet??
B Rocka is offline Find More Posts by B Rocka
Old Jan 22, 2009, 07:12 AM
UK
Joined Apr 2006
100 Posts
Hi B Rocka,
I`ve got one of these Artf`s (green models),got it cheap from eurolight in Germany.I think that was the last one available in Europe! The left wing is pretty bust up as it was a shop soiled model.You got any instructions with yours,ie CG etc?

Steve
steve2972 is offline Find More Posts by steve2972
Old Jan 26, 2009, 10:04 PM
Eastlake, OH
Joined Aug 2003
156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve2972
Hi B Rocka,
I`ve got one of these Artf`s (green models),got it cheap from eurolight in Germany.I think that was the last one available in Europe! The left wing is pretty bust up as it was a shop soiled model.You got any instructions with yours,ie CG etc?

Steve
CG 125MM from leading edge. Only instructions are a video w/o any sound track and showing very little detail. It is mostly a final assembly video.
Fred
fsheplavy is offline Find More Posts by fsheplavy
Old Jan 28, 2009, 09:55 AM
UK
Joined Apr 2006
100 Posts
Thanks Fred,
Have you also got one of these kits?

Steve
Old Jan 28, 2009, 11:40 AM
Eastlake, OH
Joined Aug 2003
156 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Fred,
Have you also got one of these kits?

Steve
Yes, I received it last week. The construction and workmanship is excellent. That said though the lack of instructions make assembly very time consuming. For instance all the pushrods are completely made up and assempled including locknuts and lock springs to keep the link from opening. Unfortunately, all three sets will fit the flap installation. Of course, after a great deal of fooling around to make the one I thought was the correct one work, while installing the aileron servo, I found that the only one that would work was the one I had chosen for the flaps. I then installed a different pushrod for the flaps but after a couple of hours of working on the setup, I couln't get what I considered a proper installation. Finally the third pushrod was tried and proved to work properly. The flap setup is critical as the design is such that the point at which the flap is in the full up position is almost at the point where the flap is prevented from moving further by the wing trailing edge which would cause the servo to remain under load. Also, flap assembly is quite mysterious untill you notice the tiny pilot holes drilled into the wing and flap to mark the screw locations for the flap hinges. Then to find out installation configuration for the hinges, you have to watch the video to find a scene that contains the flaps, then pause the video to examine the orientation of the hinges. So far I have about 6 hours in the assembly and have only the left wing completed. I expect the right wing should take about two hours.
I emailed Hobby Lobby for control throws and received the following:
Fred,
Here are the throws and transmitter setup.

Ailerons up 1" down 5/8" - Flaps at 15 and 30 degrees - Elevator about 3/4" both ways - Rudder 1-1/4" on high rates.

Is there anything else we can help you with today?

Thanks,

Jay Burkart
Hobby-Lobby
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/support
Old Jan 28, 2009, 04:06 PM
Northern IL
Joined Sep 2006
809 Posts
This is such a beautiful ship, I keep going back to look at it. I really want to make it an electric version as I have a few gas and really think this ship would be a nice set up as electric.

I am trying to find out more on it as that is one heavy price on it.
skypan12 is offline Find More Posts by skypan12
Old Jan 29, 2009, 04:29 AM
UK
Joined Apr 2006
100 Posts
Thanks for the info Fred,very helpful.
Have you got a link for the video or did you receive a cdr?

How about doing a build thread on this kit?

Thanks again,

Steve
Old Jan 29, 2009, 10:58 AM
Eastlake, OH
Joined Aug 2003
156 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the info Fred,very helpful.
Have you got a link for the video or did you receive a cdr?

How about doing a build thread on this kit?

Thanks again,

Steve
cdr came with the kit.
I will post info as I build to this forum.
Push rod identification is:
"Z" bend rod - Flaps
Long 3 mm rod Ailerons
Short 3 mm rod Elevators

I won't use the rear mounted elevator servo locations. Will just cover over them. I will install the servo inside. Photos after I get it done.

The kit is very complete but does require the puchase of a spinner and you must supply your own fuel tank. Included in the kit is some scrap covering material for repairs.

More as I go.

Fred
Old Jan 29, 2009, 11:24 AM
Northern IL
Joined Sep 2006
809 Posts
This is great Thanks Fred, my kit should be here in a few days cant wait to get going on it.
Old Jan 29, 2009, 10:00 PM
Northern IL
Joined Sep 2006
809 Posts
Anyone know of a good lighting kit to put on this ship? it has to have some lights on it.

I have never done lights so don't really know which ones would be good fit for this project, any suggestions?