Old Nov 13, 2008, 08:45 AM
RCG Staff Member
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Oct 2003
5,143 Posts
Discussion
Pilot-1 Wedell-Williams 1/8 Scale Racer

RCM8044 Pilot-1 "Wedell-Williams Model 44" 1/8 Scale ARF

In the late 1920's and early 30's air racing was huge in the United States. Racing pioneers like Granville, Rider, Laird, Howard and Curtiss were familiar names, but there was no one who had more success than Jimmy Wedell and his Wedell-Williams racers, particularly the Model 44. In the years 1931-34, Jimmy Wedell's Model 44 placed in the top three in the Thompson Trophy Race 7 times, including 2 wins.

40" wingspan, 31" long, 325 sq. in. wing area, 35 oz. flying weight. Our model 44 captures the look and excitement of this classic airplane in a modern laser cut ARF. We combined racer looks with sport flyer handling for an easy to fly, easy to build airplane. Model is all laser cut balsa and ply construction, pre-covered in genuine Oracover. Cowl is pre-finished fiberglass, wheel pants are molded plastic. Includes flying wires, tail braces, pre-bent wire landing gear, steerable tail wheel and hardware. Easy access to the flight batteries under the magnetic battery hatch in the fuselage. Photo illustrated instructions included, assembly time approximately 8-12 hours. While not suitable for the novice, the Model 44 is an easy plane to fly. Anyone with some aileron airplane experience should not have any problems flying this airplane. Our recommended power system provides plenty of power for quick take-offs and powerful climbouts. All regular aerobatic maneuvers are easily performed with this airplane. Its light wing loading makes it easy to slow down for landing. For 4-channels: Ailerons (2 servos), Elevator, Rudder and Throttle.

For more information and to watch the video click HERE

Use this thread to discuss any and all things related to Pilot-1 "Wedell-Williams Model 44" 1/8 Scale ARF
Jason Cole is online now Find More Posts by Jason Cole
Administrator
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 19, 2008, 11:35 PM
Minneapolis,MN.
Joined Mar 2006
1,070 Posts
Looks absolutely awesome!A bit pricey though,but I just might have to get one anyway.I sure hope there will be more race planes in this series!How about a Gee Bee Z!!Or a Laird Super Solution!Will there be more?
bouncebk2003 is offline Find More Posts by bouncebk2003
Old Nov 29, 2008, 06:52 PM
USA, Texas Hill Country
Joined May 2008
1,826 Posts
Any future Wedell Williams pilots are out there....???
capteasy is offline Find More Posts by capteasy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: E-flite hawker Hurricane 25E
Old Dec 07, 2008, 09:56 AM
AMA #903699
USA, VA, Alexandria
Joined Mar 2008
924 Posts
My wife ordered this plane for me for my birthday. Looking forward to its arrival!
Tony_Fletcher is offline Find More Posts by Tony_Fletcher
Old Dec 11, 2008, 11:19 PM
Support Your Local Hobby Shops
Nashville, TN
Joined Feb 2005
748 Posts
Here are some pics of the Hobby-Lobby.com 1/8 scale Wedell-Williams racer I built.

The is an awesome plane. Flys well slow and fast, very docile flyer.

Enjoy,

Chris
aero104 is offline Find More Posts by aero104
Last edited by aero104; Mar 14, 2013 at 01:44 PM.
Old Dec 11, 2008, 11:31 PM
Nashville, TN
Joined Feb 2005
748 Posts
And check this out!

A very clever system for the flying wires is included in the manual. You can easily get to battery and radio without having to mess with the wires.

You disconnect a spring on the bottom, pull canopy up with the wires, move canopy to side or in front. Install your battery, close the lid, reattach spring.

Easy as 1-2-3.

Aero104
Last edited by aero104; Mar 14, 2013 at 01:44 PM.
Old Dec 12, 2008, 12:09 PM
Minneapolis,MN.
Joined Mar 2006
1,070 Posts
Wow!Excellent pictures.It looks even better than I thought it would.I sure hope they produce more racers in this series!!I would love to see a Gee Bee Z,or Super Solution in this size!!
Old Dec 15, 2008, 09:32 AM
Nashville, TN
Joined Feb 2005
748 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncebk2003
Wow!Excellent pictures.It looks even better than I thought it would.I sure hope they produce more racers in this series!!I would love to see a Gee Bee Z,or Super Solution in this size!!
Nice taste in racers!

I have already placed my vote for the Laird Super Solution. Wouldn't that be an awesome plane to fly?

One of my favorites is Mr. Mulligan... who knows what will be next...

Chris Woodward
(www.hobby-lobby.com, Jr. R&D, builder, etc...)
Old Dec 15, 2008, 09:34 PM
Minneapolis,MN.
Joined Mar 2006
1,070 Posts
Chris,
Super Solution,Mr. Mulligan,I want them all!!This one is a must have also.It would have been nice to see the Gilmore Lion scheme as well,but I'll take this one too!!I think a lot of modelers love the Golden Age of air racing.I know I do!!
Old Dec 18, 2008, 04:44 PM
USA, Texas Hill Country
Joined May 2008
1,826 Posts
Most any of the Golden Age era racers or sport airplanes would be a welcome addition.
The Ryan ST in at least 1/8 scale would be my choice in particular.

What's the latest update on Hobby Lobby's big, beautiful Roscoe Turner Wedell Williams - no. "121"?
capteasy is offline Find More Posts by capteasy
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by capteasy; Dec 18, 2008 at 04:50 PM.
Old Dec 19, 2008, 03:26 PM
TN
Joined May 2000
1,136 Posts
Capteasy asked:

"What's the latest update on Hobby Lobby's big, beautiful Roscoe Turner Wedell Williams - no. "121"?"

The initial testing and flights at NEAT confirmed that we had a great flying model. The prototype fuselage was built up wood and covered with the wing root fairings made of fiberglass and the firewall/nosebowl part of the fuselage made of fiberglass also. Rather than mating all of these FG parts to a wooden fuselage and matching paint to covering ect. we decided to go to a full FG fuselage. This will allow us to increase the scale look of the fuselage (more stringers) and make it a bit simpler to produce.

The prototype had an increased nose moment because I thought that to achieve the proper balance I would need it. Turns out that I could achieve the proper CG without the batteries being pushed to the back of the firewall. This is allowing me to modify the outline to make it a bit more scale. I expect to test the revised version in the Spring. Production will follow as soon as any issues are resolved. I love the look of this plane and really enjoyed flying it, very sweet in the air.

Mike Hines
Hiflyer is offline Find More Posts by Hiflyer
Old Dec 19, 2008, 03:51 PM
Nashville, TN
Joined Feb 2005
748 Posts
Here's a picture of the 1/4 scale prototype from www.hobby-lobby.com

Chris Woodward
(www.hobby-lobby.com, Jr.R&D, builder, photographer, etc...)
Last edited by aero104; Mar 14, 2013 at 01:42 PM.
Old Dec 25, 2008, 09:46 AM
Must work to support RC habit!
Hanover, Virginia
Joined Nov 2008
73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by capteasy
Most any of the Golden Age era racers or sport airplanes would be a welcome addition.
The Ryan ST in at least 1/8 scale would be my choice in particular.

What's the latest update on Hobby Lobby's big, beautiful Roscoe Turner Wedell Williams - no. "121"?
If we are wishing for models, how about a nice Comet DH88 or a Hall Bulldog racer. I also agree with you capteasy, a 1/8 Ryan ST would be nice. I'm sure what ever HL comes up with, it would be nice. I just finished the WACO and am looking at the Wedell. Might just wait a couple of months to see what will come out next.

Shawn
Warbird 01 is offline Find More Posts by Warbird 01
Old Dec 25, 2008, 10:58 AM
North Carolina
Joined Sep 2003
2,199 Posts
Can anyone confirm that Green Models manufactures these for Hobby-Lobby, rebranded with the Pilot-1 name?
sj3cub is offline Find More Posts by sj3cub
Old Dec 25, 2008, 05:26 PM
Nashville, TN
Joined Feb 2005
748 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Morgan
Can anyone confirm that Green Models manufactures these for Hobby-Lobby, rebranded with the Pilot-1 name?
All "Pilot-1" planes are 100% Hobby Lobby. They are not rebranded.

The Pilot-1 line of aircraft is comparable in design and quality to the "e-flite" and "hangar9" brand.

You should buy one! They are really nice flying planes.

Chris Woodward
(www.hobby-lobby.com, Jr.R&D, builder, photographer, etc, etc...)