SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 12, 2008, 06:52 PM
ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ - inverted!
USA, SC, Greer
Joined Jul 2008
3,243 Posts
Discussion
BowStick - Basic design, Simple to build, Easy to fly and Absolute fun, fun, fun.

I thought of naming this model “Absolute Fun” because that is exactly what she is!

No abstract exotic design that will change aviation forever. She’s just a basic design, simple to build, easy to fly and an absolute fun, fun, fun foam model. She’s built on a Slow Stick frame but nothing like the old SS. I used a large motor for great performance and she can be easily flown in a small/tight place. I think she looks nice and she is the one plane out of twelve planes I have that I fly the most. Maybe, it’s because she is easy to fly in the street in front of my house. I can’t tell you why she’s my favorite but sometimes simplicity and comfort rank higher than we unconsciously are aware of.

I designed and built the BowStick over a year ago and can’t tell you how many hours I have on her. You’ll see in the video that she has a lot of mileage but like any love affair she still looks good to me. I’ve rebuilt her a time or two and she needs it again but I’m in this relationship for the long haul so I’ll lovingly give her what she needs and never, no never, retire my BowStick.

Plans on post #7 & #31

Links to other Designs by Dalton....
Ellipso Aero's -WARNING! These models are to much fun. Use Caution, Highly Addictive!
The Ellipso Lite & The Ellipso Lite Bipe - indoor/outdoor Yard Flyers
BiStick (Extreme Slow Stick Upgrade)

BowStick Video's....

BowStick by Dalton (2 min 26 sec)

BowStick Flight (1 min 30 sec)

BowStick fly by (3 min 18 sec)

BowStick camera to the back (1 min 49 sec)

Paul's BowStick (1 min 33 sec)

BowStick flying by Daddy-O, Video by Mrs Daddy-O
BowStickMaidenFlight.wmv (3 min 53 sec)

BowStick video by Andy (a.k.a. - Head). Great flying Andy!
BowStick RC plane in flight video shot with key chain camera (3 min 16 sec)

BowStick video by MagicJim. Looks like you're having fun Jim.
MVI_1222.avi (2 min 26 sec)

Andy maidens his very tail-heavy Bowstick.
TWFC Mon 14th Mar 2011 Bowstick Maiden Flight.wmv (2 min 0 sec)

I thought I would post her so you could enjoy this simple little model.

Thanks for watching.
Dalton
DaDesign is offline Find More Posts by DaDesign
Last edited by DaDesign; Apr 08, 2011 at 06:33 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 12, 2008, 07:31 PM
AMA 14680
Northern Nevada
Joined Mar 2007
1,581 Posts
Dalton That's a sweet set of videos and sweet little plane. Thanks for posting it. Bob
Foamenator is offline Find More Posts by Foamenator
Old Nov 12, 2008, 07:40 PM
Fly it like U stole it
Champaign, Il
Joined Mar 2008
2,418 Posts
THat's a nice looking plane. Looks like its a great flier! What is the wingspan on it. Also it looks lighter than stock. Whats the AUW?

Great job
Matt
Pickle72 is offline Find More Posts by Pickle72
Old Nov 12, 2008, 07:45 PM
"Hobby Apparatus" Flyer
Oxford, PA
Joined Aug 2003
1,357 Posts
I agree, that is a "nice looking airplane" indeed! Thanks for the vids. Cheers~
Mikey C. is offline Find More Posts by Mikey C.
Old Nov 12, 2008, 07:46 PM
AMA 14680
Northern Nevada
Joined Mar 2007
1,581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaDesign
Thanks Bob,
Believe it or not we spent most of the day today building your Blu-Baby at work. One of the guys that works for me is building it. I showed it to him and he loved it. Nice plane. I may build one myself.
The BluBaby is a design from Tony 65x55. I am a very lucky guy, because he let's me build a lot of his Beta's. Clearly Tony is the brains of the outfit. Thanks Tony where ever you are this week.

Do you have the dimensions for your little guy here? I'd like to build one. Bob
Old Nov 12, 2008, 07:50 PM
USA, SC, Greer
Joined Jul 2008
3,243 Posts
BowStick Plans....
Last edited by DaDesign; Jan 15, 2011 at 05:09 PM.
Old Nov 12, 2008, 07:54 PM
USA, SC, Greer
Joined Jul 2008
3,243 Posts
BowStick Reviews....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headlessagain
Hi Dalton
have now fitted an E-Max 2215/20 1200 kv turning a slow fly 10 x 4.7 prop through a Super Simple 30 amp ESC. Tested this afternoon and much better performance. Took off at 45 deg angle. Only problem was a duff 3 cell lipo on my 2nd flight. Back at base and my balance charger shows 2 cells at 100% with remaining one at zero. Looks like a cell has gone south. Oh well, just have to convert to a 2 cell pack!
Weather here was about 2 degrees with 10-15 mph winds - no problem for the Bowstick.
Have some Hobbyking led's to fit and reckon the BowStick will be ideal
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=8943
Head

Now to start on the mini BowStick using my redundant 8mm Slo-V fusealage fittings. Reckon a Blue Wonder 1300/1500 kv with a 500/800 3 cell pack & HXT500's should do the trick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headlessagain
Hi Dalton
found another thing the BowStick is good for - flying off of snow. Made up some skis from 3mm correx riveted to some plastic "c" shaped wiring conduit. I just removed the wheels and bolted the skis on in their place.
Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddy-O
My very first plane to fly was the Slow Stick. I learned to fly rc with it. I still have the aluminum stick, connectors, etc., but the people that watched my home in my absence did something with my wing (and several other things I had). This SS was also the plane I used to begin doing aerial photography, and carried a 5 ounce camera. I think it is time for it to become a BowStick. Thank you, Dalton, for this great modification of a SS!
Daddy-O
Quote:
Originally Posted by robros

Outstanding

I just came back from flying the bowstick. What a treat. I have had parkinson's disease for the last eight years. I tried fuel spads went to electrics to feel more comfortable. I have designed and of course bought more stuff like everybody else. But this takes the cake. This is truly a keeper. There is beauty in simplicity. Flies like it is on rails. Do you sell these and if you don't you should. The vids and your comment about this being your first choice to pickup and fly is what sold me into tring to make one.
Congratulations on a job well done.

Sincerely
Robert
Bristol,UK
Quote:
Thank you for the kind words Dalton. I really enjoyed building this wing. It was very easy and enjoyable. I was able to fly the maiden flight at lunch. I put the plane down and off she went. We had a storm blowing in, so the wind was gusting to about 15mph with a steady blow of about 10mph.

I couldn't believe that my BowStick didn't need any trim at all. Straight up and out. It was not touchy or pitchy at all. I am very happy with it's flight characteristics. I do want more power though. This plane is capable of much more that I can do with this motor. I will play around with props before I change out the motor though. I flew it with a GWS 1147. I'm getting the video ready to upload to youtube now.

Thank you, Dalton, for putting this together for us to enjoy.

Daddy-O
Barahona, Dominican Republic
Quote:
I need to find a place to fly the BowStick where I have a smooth runway. I believe I could get some beautiful, long take offs and touch and gos. Besides not needing any trimming, the thing I noticed was it's stability. There was absolutely no jumpiness to the plane in the wind. These planes always gather a crowd.

I was out flying my BowStick this morning in between work. There was no wind and the BowStick flew just absolutely great! I can see why you like this model Dalton. I felt like this ( ) while flying. I put a brushed speed 400 can motor into a gearbox last night to see how it would do with the BowStick. After flying my brushless setup for a while (and loving it), I removed it and put the brushed system on it. I was happy to see it handle the 22oz BowStick (with 3s 1300 lipo pack) so well. It wasn't as fast as the brushless system, but it flew great!
Daddy-O
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicJim
Here is my version, flys very good as can be seen.
Jim
ISREAL
Last edited by DaDesign; Dec 24, 2010 at 07:11 PM.
Old Nov 12, 2008, 08:24 PM
AMA 14680
Northern Nevada
Joined Mar 2007
1,581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaDesign
I will do a pdf at work tomorrow and post it for you. I don't have plans but it should be easy to use what I have to build you one. If not let me know your address and I'll send you a trace copy of the templet I have.
Thanks a bunch. The PDF will be all I need. I'm clearing off the bench Bob
Old Nov 12, 2008, 09:56 PM
USA, SC, Greer
Joined Jul 2008
3,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickle72
THat's a nice looking plane. Looks like its a great flier! What is the wingspan on it. Also it looks lighter than stock. Whats the AUW?

Great job
Matt
Hey Matt,
Good to see you on line tonight! I do like the eye's you added to your picture!

I'm sure it is lighter than stock but I haven't weight it. I'll try to do that for you soon. The WS is 38". I do know that.

Keep in touch.
Dalton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamenator
The BluBaby is a design from Tony 65x55. I am a very lucky guy, because he let's me build a lot of his Beta's. Clearly Tony is the brains of the outfit. Thanks Tony where ever you are this week.

Do you have the dimensions for your little guy here? I'd like to build one. Bob

I will do a pdf at work tomorrow and post it for you. I don't have plans but it should be easy to use what I have to build you one. If not let me know your address and I'll send you a trace copy of the templet I have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey C.
I agree, that is a "nice looking airplane" indeed! Thanks for the vids. Cheers~
Thanks Mikey!
Last edited by DaDesign; Jan 03, 2010 at 07:53 PM.
Old Nov 12, 2008, 10:35 PM
I just want to fly
USA, IN, Jeffersonville
Joined Aug 2008
690 Posts
hey dalton awsome plane!!whats the wingspan i have a xtra SS fuse that need to be used id love to have that thing.do you have a pdf or drawn up plans that you could share.. thanks mike
justwanttofly is offline Find More Posts by justwanttofly
Old Nov 13, 2008, 04:13 AM
7up
,ɯǝ ʇoƃ ɐʎ ɟı ,ɯǝ ǝʞoɯs
USA, KY, West Liberty
Joined Jun 2001
1,154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by justwanttofly
hey dalton awsome plane!!whats the wingspan i have a xtra SS fuse that need to be used id love to have that thing.do you have a pdf or drawn up plans that you could share.. thanks mike
Yea nice design, I'd lie to have one myself... Plans?
7up is offline Find More Posts by 7up
Old Nov 13, 2008, 04:26 AM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
London, UK
Joined Nov 2006
5,398 Posts
Looks fun... good luck.

A good plan or a good set of dimensions needed.....if you want to spread the message...
dekan is offline Find More Posts by dekan
Old Nov 13, 2008, 04:47 AM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Jul 2002
24,112 Posts
That's COOL !!!
gpw is offline Find More Posts by gpw