HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 21, 2008, 06:23 PM
Petaluma, CA
Joined Jul 2008
229 Posts
Since reading this thread i am oh so tempted to get myself one of these Tugs, the details shown on the Hartman website are truly fantastic. This along with the history behind these hulls it's something that i am almost unable to pass up..

Not too sure if i will be able to hide something this size away from the better half without her noticing..

A little more thought and need to make some space in the corner of the garage.
RussCA is offline Find More Posts by RussCA
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 21, 2008, 08:23 PM
Valencia, CA
Joined Oct 2002
3,705 Posts
As noted in the Hartman ad posted above, The Douglas Greg was originally the tug Long Beach. Long Beach was the first release of the Revell Harbor Tug kit. The Long Beach was re-released in the 50's as a motorized version with a manually adjustable rudder and a couple of pen cells for power. That was one of my earliest powered model boats, which I have stashed away on a shelf in the rafters of my garage with an unbuilt un-motorized kit.

I remember being thrilled when I came out to California as a midshipman in 1966 and actually saw the real "Long Beach." operating in Long Beach and LA Horbor. She has always been a favorite of mine, and this build makes it very tempting to do a larger R/C version -- or at least R/C the little one.

Pete G.
P_J_Glor is online now Find More Posts by P_J_Glor
Old Nov 21, 2008, 08:23 PM
Joined Jul 2007
2,728 Posts
Heres a group photo at the 2005 St Louis Admirals regatta. There are a few more in our club that where in the picture. My vac u tug is just out of the picture to the right, I was using her to help align the Hartmans for the photo.
Predreadnut is offline Find More Posts by Predreadnut
Old Nov 22, 2008, 12:16 AM
Joined Mar 2006
460 Posts
Is the pilot house and other parts included with the hull?
TugFan is offline Find More Posts by TugFan
Old Nov 22, 2008, 12:24 AM
Valencia, CA
Joined Oct 2002
3,705 Posts
That looks like a good question to me, Tug Fan. The first description on the Loyalhanna website is: DOUGLAS GREG TUGBOAT kit consists of Hull, separately molded fiberglass parts, crewmen, running hardware, rear upper cabin, skylight, stack, pilot houses, curved railing, air vents, lifeboat and more. But the first price appears to be for the hull only, so the full kit may not be available. If it is, I would be interested to know, and for how much.

Pete G.
P_J_Glor is online now Find More Posts by P_J_Glor
Old Nov 22, 2008, 08:50 AM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,717 Posts
The original kit did include all this. Best to ask Loyalhanna directly. But... I understand that they're still sorting through, reworking, and trying out many of the molds, which needs to be done before prices are posted.
Rich?
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
Old Dec 01, 2008, 05:12 PM
Camden Maine
Joined Feb 2005
1,147 Posts
Progress.....

The deck is epoxied to the framework, took some fitting but looks okay. I added styrene sheeting to the inside of the bulkwards (was quite rough) and then made up the bulkwards ribs. Spacing was obtained from the plans.
I poured in some resin to the stuffing tube area as it was questionable. Stool worked great for a cradle!! on to the cap rails... Harry
H.Lauer is offline Find More Posts by H.Lauer
Old Dec 14, 2008, 10:56 AM
Camden Maine
Joined Feb 2005
1,147 Posts
Gotta love 24th scale!

This really is turning out to be a fun project. It will be nice to have a model to run that is not so fragile. This scale really allows for that. I know it isn't exact by any means but I've decided to build it as originally meant to look like. (well mostly)
Cap rails are on as well as the main cabin coaming. The portholes are cut out and the first of many coats of filler/primer are on. I've made up the cabin roof and have sealed it with a couple coats of resin. I'm going to use 1" copper crimp rings(hardware store item) for the portholes and simulate the rivets with pins. This is alotta tug!!! more to come, Harry
Last edited by H.Lauer; Dec 14, 2008 at 11:02 AM.
Old Dec 14, 2008, 11:31 AM
If you cant find it Build it!
NEAR ST. LOUIS ILL. SIDE
Joined Jan 2006
1,526 Posts
Looking great! H.L. Your building it like a Master!
LONGBIKE is offline Find More Posts by LONGBIKE
Old Dec 14, 2008, 02:41 PM
"Damn The Torpedoes...."
Mount Dora, FL.
Joined Oct 2007
512 Posts
Your doing a fine job, really enjoy the photos, this is one of my favorite kits!
PT-333 is offline Find More Posts by PT-333
Old Dec 14, 2008, 06:12 PM
WooHoo!
Lake Balboa, CA
Joined Jun 2007
5,125 Posts
Some Hartman stuff taken from a 1997 Hartman catalog updated 12-15-1997
woodybob is offline Find More Posts by woodybob
Old Dec 14, 2008, 08:53 PM
Old wreck in Milwaukee
United States, WI, West Allis
Joined May 2007
3,805 Posts
H Lauer,

When you get to the detailing look at the Garage Mechanics Figure set sold under Testors or Fujima labels. Enough parts in the box so with a little creativity you can pose them the way you want. Mostly I try to find ways to use them as is. I get lazy sometimes. They also have a garage equipment set with gas welding tanks, tools, and misc items.

I love 1/2" scale.
Prins Willem is offline Find More Posts by Prins Willem
Old Dec 15, 2008, 11:22 AM
Camden Maine
Joined Feb 2005
1,147 Posts
Thanks all for the kind words and suggestions. This is what I love about this hobby.
Jeff- long way from being a master, always learning something. You are a tough act to follow Harry
Old Dec 16, 2008, 12:13 AM
Joined Jul 2007
2,728 Posts
Hey, from looking at the pictures, it seems theres a line on the hull where the deck meets the sides. Is this just a guide or does it project out from the hull? This looks like it would save alot of work locating exactly were the deck should be mounted.
Predreadnut is offline Find More Posts by Predreadnut
Old Dec 16, 2008, 06:34 PM
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Jan 2004
1,783 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Predreadnut
Heres a group photo at the 2005 St Louis Admirals regatta. There are a few more in our club that where in the picture. My vac u tug is just out of the picture to the right, I was using her to help align the Hartmans for the photo.
The seagulls on the St Claire is a really neat detail, never seen that one before.
metomwhou is offline Find More Posts by metomwhou