HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 11, 2008, 07:14 PM
Camden Maine
Joined Feb 2005
1,092 Posts
Discussion
Winter's Project Hartman Tug

I've just started building one of Dwights tugs Hull # 639 7/18/07. I'll post pics. shortly if anyone is interested. Going to be fun!! Harry
H.Lauer is offline Find More Posts by H.Lauer
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 11, 2008, 07:22 PM
Cheif Bottlewasher
Canada, NS, Sydney Mines
Joined Sep 2005
3,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by H.Lauer
I've just started building one of Dwights tugs Hull # 639 7/18/07. I'll post pics. shortly if anyone is interested. Going to be fun!! Harry
always nice to see something new ...looking forward to it ...
more coffee is offline Find More Posts by more coffee
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Hi!
Old Nov 11, 2008, 08:25 PM
Southern Calif
Joined Dec 2005
1,811 Posts
A couple of years ago I called Dwight on the phone about ordering his large tug, He informed me he was several months behind on orders. So I decided not to order one and ever since I have been sorry I did not wait. Did you see the build article in Ships in Scale by Kurt Van Dahm? The part 1 article started with the July / August 2006 issue. Please post lots of pictures.

Ed
Ed Crowell is online now Find More Posts by Ed Crowell
Old Nov 11, 2008, 08:39 PM
WooHoo!
Lake Balboa, CA
Joined Jun 2007
5,078 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by H.Lauer
I've just started building one of Dwights tugs Hull # 639 7/18/07. I'll post pics. shortly if anyone is interested.
Yes indeed...interested.
woodybob is offline Find More Posts by woodybob
Old Nov 11, 2008, 09:53 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,027 Posts
You do great work! Absolutely interested in seeing how your project comes together!
Aerominded is online now Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Nov 12, 2008, 04:10 AM
United States, NY, Buffalo
Joined Oct 2003
640 Posts
Yes Please Post the build

For those interested the Hartman Tug is still availble at Hartman Model Boats
at http://www.hartmanmodelboats.com.

Happy Modeling,
Rich
rlboats2003 is offline Find More Posts by rlboats2003
Old Nov 13, 2008, 01:03 PM
Camden Maine
Joined Feb 2005
1,092 Posts
Started....

I got a start on the tug last weekend. I've made up the stand using the supplied templets. Quite robust! The hull is sanded down to the scribbed line and the deck suports are on. I used a mix of evercoat polyester resin and west system filler powder. Makes into a nice paste. The hull plateform is made up (1/8 luan ply ) and installed. I'm going to be using a Mack Products 4 to 1 gearbox and a graupner 700 size torque motor. I made up a stuffing tube and have laid out motor and gearbox supports. I really like the size of this model 42 inches x 12. I'm going to reinforce under the deck for towing should be fun! more in a bit, Harry
Old Nov 13, 2008, 04:11 PM
If you cant find it Build it!
NEAR ST. LOUIS ILL. SIDE
Joined Jan 2006
1,511 Posts
H.Lauer,

This a great kit to build from, I have built 2 of those and I still have 2 kits still on hand for myself.
You might want to get rid of the houser pipes in the rear 4 total of them they are not accurate to scale and I have seen some peoples Hartman take on water thru these with a strong motor, the motor will drive down the stern under power and water then comes in thru those holes.

Cant wait to see more!
Jeff
LONGBIKE is online now Find More Posts by LONGBIKE
Old Nov 16, 2008, 01:07 PM
Camden Maine
Joined Feb 2005
1,092 Posts
A little more progress..

I took advange of some "warmer" weather and got some work done on the hull. I mixed up some fiberglass paste and along with bondo and autobody putty was able to get rough spots out. I had to reform the keel as there were lots of hollows and air bubbles (voids). I'm still happy with how the hull is coming along, just takes a little more work.
Old Nov 16, 2008, 01:39 PM
Camden Maine
Joined Feb 2005
1,092 Posts
Deck supports, motor & gearbox, rudderblock etc...

I did locate a couple of the Ships and Scale Mag. issues with the build up of this kit. I did a few things differently, but it was helpful. Everyone does things differently
I built up a rudder block and set that in with fiberglase paste. I made a push rod of sorts as I'm not a big fan of cable (Midewest lobsterboat comes to mind) The rudder was made as per the plans Good setup!!
I thought about changing out the molded in hawes holes but I think I will stick with them. There are a little oversize... I plan on making the deck very watertight and will have a coaming around the cabin.
A few more rounds of primer/ filler and the hull should be ready for finish paint. course that won't be for a while... more to come, Harry
Old Nov 16, 2008, 03:35 PM
Cortland OH
Joined Dec 2007
746 Posts
This will be a great project to follow.

Here are some pics from Hartman's 1977 catalog:
A-37 is offline Find More Posts by A-37
Old Nov 17, 2008, 12:05 AM
Joined Jul 2007
2,723 Posts
Does anyone know what hull number there up to?
Predreadnut is offline Find More Posts by Predreadnut
Old Nov 17, 2008, 10:08 AM
Joined Oct 2003
640 Posts
For the Douglas Greg tug

Dwight was up in the low 600 range for the Douglas Greg style hull, Under Hartman Model Boats because of adding gell coat we are starting at 1 and going from there. I don't know what was produced during the Steve Laird period.

Happy Modeling,
Rich
Last edited by rlboats2003; Nov 17, 2008 at 10:16 AM.
Old Nov 17, 2008, 10:54 AM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,415 Posts
Shucks, I was hoping you'd continue the hull numbering scheme!

With so many out there, there should be a Hartman reunion- can you imagine if HALF the Harbor tugs showed up? I think maybe half a dozen at most have gathered at St Louis?
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
Old Nov 17, 2008, 01:02 PM
Joined Oct 2003
640 Posts
It would be interesting -

Pat

They are all over the world - Even based on the limited group of pictures We got from the estate I have pictures of over 75 different ones of the Greg. I just got finished scanning them as well as all the pictures dwight had hanging in the house and there is still 2 more boxes of those pictures that need to be done. I have to beleive the H. Lauer serial number in a previous post has to be the last one that Dwight completed. The date of manufacture is only a short period from the time he started to get sick (at least as far as I found out from one of his closer local friends). The last thing it look like he was working on was a Greg - since most of the molds were on the prep table.
I know one of the next things on my list is to rework the Pilot house window area so a new mold can be made. The rest looks in reasonable shape. Got to finish the clean up on the Diane - and find some similar material for the canopy after almost 20 years it lost its new look.

Going to go,
Rich
Last edited by rlboats2003; Nov 17, 2008 at 01:08 PM. Reason: wording