HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 10, 2008, 08:20 PM
Who let the dogs out?
Pontefract, Yorkshire, UK
Joined Jul 2007
1,126 Posts
Discussion
Update: new Sharkface from B&Q Floormaster foam. Plus video (see post #21)

Anyone remember Eric Clutton's "Sharkface"?
I just finished this one, entirely from B&Q Floormaster 6mm insulation, to the outline & dimensions of the original 1965 plan (thanks Vintage1!).
My last Sharkface was around 1970 and with single channel radio it weighed 3 times as much as this new one, my Cox Babe-Bee could hardly lift it.
Flying weight is 6oz, on rudder/elevator/throttle, 350mah 3S lipo & a Typhoon micro 3/3D.
Entirely covered & decorated with coloured parcel tape which added just over half an ounce.
Not flown yet, weather has been appalling for weeks now, just need a calm, dry day...
Cheers
Phil

edit: video added in post 21.
phil_g is online now Find More Posts by phil_g
Last edited by phil_g; Nov 26, 2008 at 12:53 PM. Reason: added video in post #21
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 11, 2008, 12:47 AM
Joined Jun 2008
583 Posts
I like it!

Tell me more about that foam. I looks like FFF.

Also, I know you have not had a flight yet but... one thing that sticks out to me is the horizontal stab is quite a bit below the thrust line. Might this add and odd characteristics?(just for the record i'm quite new to the hobby and i'm tossing arround terms i don't know alot about, but thats how we learn right?) The main wing does not look flat, is that an angle or a curve?

This plane reminds me of the Electric Orange J3 Cub(my first build and flight).

Cheers and Good Luck on the maiden!
Tripod333 is offline Find More Posts by Tripod333
Old Nov 11, 2008, 05:08 AM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,705 Posts
The only odd characteristic is it rips off in hard landings.
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Old Nov 11, 2008, 07:05 AM
Who let the dogs out?
Joined Jul 2007
1,126 Posts
The foam has been used by a few people here (search for Floormaster), its used to insulate & support laminate flooring. Its very much like depron but has one surface very slightly harder, like a thin skin effect. Unfortunately this means that bigger pieces do tend to warp a bit.
The foam comes in a pack of 10 1.2m x 0.5m x 6mm sheets for 11 so its economical stuff to play with. Cuts easily with a fresh blade and glues ok with Cyano/kicker, hot-glue or Por. The Sharkie used about 3/4 of a sheet including the obligatory 'make two left-hand fus sides' Doh!
Yes I recall the regular tailplane repairs... but it wouldnt be a sharkface if you changed it!
Cheers
Phil
Last edited by phil_g; Nov 11, 2008 at 11:20 AM.
Old Nov 11, 2008, 10:10 AM
Went to mow a meadow
Joined Feb 2007
1,459 Posts
Nice one Phil

Repairs easy aswell, bit of hot glue works wonders....

I like the finish, where did you get the tape from?

Cheers,
Frank
frank48 is online now Find More Posts by frank48
Old Nov 11, 2008, 10:29 AM
Who let the dogs out?
Joined Jul 2007
1,126 Posts
From ebay, http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=310090306169
Its nice & glossy but unforch shows the overlaps a bit... I should have been more careful trimming it. I got quite a few creases in there too, I'm sure a solarfilm master would do a much better job! But the tape is cheap, quick, easy & light - ideal for foamies!
Edit: I just discovered that if you're careful, the packing tape shrinks with the covering iron, so you can get some of the wrinkles out!
Cheers
Phil
Last edited by phil_g; Nov 12, 2008 at 09:27 AM.
Old Nov 11, 2008, 10:44 AM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,664 Posts
Brilliant that Phil - Sharkface is a legendary airframe and a new version in high faluting new tech materials is a real laugh.

That B & Q depron is good stuff too. I use a lot of it for my Cub Scouts building sessions - the last one was about three weeks ago - where they build what I call the 3p Zagi - a free flight flying wing ballasted with a two pence piece and a penny taped to the nose and trimmable 2mm depron elevons and winglets.. They all have to perform a distance flight in the scout hut - one named manouver and then a mass lauch, before they spilt up and start combatting.

It's the first flying model aeroplane a lot of the lads (and now girls too ) have ever built and they really get into it.

My Little MO often gets mistakenly identified as a Sharkface and is just as mental, but I'm defo going to have a go at a foamy Sharkface though now that I've seen yours.
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old Nov 11, 2008, 11:33 AM
Who let the dogs out?
Joined Jul 2007
1,126 Posts
Hey we need to see the 3p Zagi plans! did you put radio in one yet?

The only change to the sharky is that I continued the line of the upper rear fus to the 'spar' position, where the wing is cracked & undercambered by 1/2", then from the 'apex' where the spar would be it tapers down to the original fus outline. There is no spar as such, but I added a 1/4" preformed balsa Leading Edge with Por.
Phil
Last edited by phil_g; Nov 11, 2008 at 12:31 PM.
Old Nov 11, 2008, 11:46 AM
Hey, watch this!
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Feb 2005
469 Posts
My Sharkface

I met Eric and had my photo taken with him at one of the Toledo, Ohio shows. He's as much fun as the airplane is.

For what its worth, Sharkface took first and second place in the largest Carolina 1/2A Crew's Reedie Race a couple of years ago. My updated version is called Sheetface. Guess what the wing's made of?
Raymond-leflyr is offline Find More Posts by Raymond-leflyr
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 11, 2008, 12:27 PM
Went to mow a meadow
Joined Feb 2007
1,459 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil_g
Hey we need to see the 3p Zagi plans! did you put radio in one yet?

The only change to the sharky is that I continued the line of the upper rear fus to the 'spar' position, where the wing is cracked & undercambered by 1/2", then from the 'apex' where the spar would be it tapers down to the original fus outline. There is no spar as such, but I added some 1/4" preformed Leading Edge balsa with Por.
Phil
Thanks for the link Phil.

Re your spa - this 3M tape adds fantastic strength to a wing, tape from tip to tip top and bottom, I've never had one fold yet
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1-x-3M-SCOTCH-...742.m153.l1262

Cheers,
Frank
Old Nov 11, 2008, 12:38 PM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
London, UK
Joined Nov 2006
5,398 Posts
Doesn't look like a sheet wing on the stick and tissue Sharkface. Ray
dekan is offline Find More Posts by dekan
Old Nov 11, 2008, 02:59 PM
Model Designer
United Kingdom, England, Burnley
Joined Apr 2001
5,501 Posts
Phil,

Remember the plan ?
I have an original 'pink'? copy ( free in July 65 Aeromodeller magazine ) somewhere...!

Your model is a fantastic example of the huge difference that modern technology has made to flying models.
Electric powered and with proportional radio control - yet still much lighter than the original model...

Excellent...!

I have been told that B&Q are selling "some sort of depron for 12 a pack" and I am now inspired to go and get some !

added comment:
Impressive Pendelfin collection ! ! !

Keven.
keven64 is offline Find More Posts by keven64
Last edited by keven64; Nov 12, 2008 at 12:33 AM. Reason: added comment
Old Nov 12, 2008, 07:29 AM
Hey, watch this!
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Feb 2005
469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dekan
Doesn't look like a sheet wing on the stick and tissue Sharkface. Ray
You had to ask . . .
Raymond-leflyr is offline Find More Posts by Raymond-leflyr
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 12, 2008, 07:34 AM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
London, UK
Joined Nov 2006
5,398 Posts
Well...So that's what you think of the question? ....but is there any need to poke your tongue out....Hahhah
dekan is offline Find More Posts by dekan
Old Nov 12, 2008, 09:23 AM
Went to mow a meadow
Joined Feb 2007
1,459 Posts
Reckon its gotta be "three sheets to the wind"