HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 10, 2008, 07:10 PM
Fly it like you stole it..
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,310 Posts
Discussion
Dead Stick Takeoff.. Dead Stick Landing...

This video rocks:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z985xdXW-3w

Jeff
www.CommonSenseRC.com
Tram is offline Find More Posts by Tram
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 10, 2008, 07:44 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,208 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tram
This video rocks:
it does. chock full of meaty goodness...
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old Nov 10, 2008, 09:47 PM
Detroit 2-stroke junkie
USA, CA, Oceanside
Joined Jul 2008
3,371 Posts
7:1 glide ratio. Looks like fun
1320fastback is online now Find More Posts by 1320fastback
Old Nov 10, 2008, 10:05 PM
I'd rather be Flying
Nashville, NC, USA
Joined Mar 1999
2,889 Posts
That takes guts.
davecee is online now Find More Posts by davecee
Old Nov 10, 2008, 10:39 PM
Gravity Challenging Fool
United States, MA, Haverhill
Joined Sep 2008
817 Posts
"Yee-Haw" is right! Man, that looks way too cool. This makes me want to look into the ultralight/powered parachute thing again. Last time I chcecked it out I struck out for a variety of reasons, mainly $ & the inability to fly over populated areas. It might be time to check the bank account and see exactly what the FAA considers a populated area!
Dan_K is offline Find More Posts by Dan_K
Old Nov 10, 2008, 10:40 PM
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,310 Posts
You'll never find an exact listing as to what "populated" is..

Odds are, you break it near a single hut, it was "populated."
Old Nov 10, 2008, 11:27 PM
Gravity Challenging Fool
Joined Sep 2008
817 Posts
That's what killed me last time, I couldn't find a definition of "populated". I'm sure flying over Boston is populated, but what about Dover NH? Plum Island, MA? Seabrook, NH? Too many variables. I might have to get in touch with a local instructor and see what the concensus among pilots is.
Old Nov 10, 2008, 11:40 PM
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,310 Posts
It's all gray area interpretation... "Pilot Error over populated areas." when things go wrong..
Old Nov 11, 2008, 04:40 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,639 Posts
Wow, has he invented..........Slope Soaring?
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Nov 11, 2008, 09:10 AM
Gravity Challenging Fool
Joined Sep 2008
817 Posts
So if things don't go wrong, you can fly over populated areas? I've spent hours between last night and today researching this, and have come up with nothing. I'm loving the look and small size of some of those powered parachutes, especially the foot launch models. They seem easy to transport, easy to store and an absolute blast to fly. Kinda like parasailing or kiteboarding, but with your own power thrown in. I'd just hate to buy one and find myself surrounded by "the man" for my first or second landing. Overall the price for one of thsoe things seems very reasonable for countless hours of fun, but very expensive for just an hour of fun followed by an arrest (which would also end up being expensive).

I should live in the desert.
Old Nov 11, 2008, 09:36 AM
The sky is my playground.
United States, NH
Joined May 2005
7,710 Posts
Dan, Have you been to the Ultralite fly-in in Greenland, NH? Also, a buddy of in the Rochester club purchased an Ultralight the other day. He hopes to have it flying by spring. Another reason you should join our club.
Dora Nine is offline Find More Posts by Dora Nine
Old Nov 11, 2008, 09:57 AM
Gravity Challenging Fool
Joined Sep 2008
817 Posts
No, I have not been to the fly-in. I'll have to look into that, it seems like I could probably pick up some good info there.

That does indeed sound like yet another reason I should join that club. I'll be hitting you up for info in the spring for sure. If you happen to talk to your buddy in the mean time, I'd be most appreciative if you could ask him about the "populated area" thing and where he can and can not fly it. I'm leaning toward a foot-launched powered paraglider, but the rules are the same as any other ultralight.
Old Nov 11, 2008, 09:59 AM
7000mw of raw power!
New Hampshire (not the old one)
Joined Dec 2006
5,986 Posts
If you fly over Boston and no FAA reports that means it is not populated. If you fly over cow patch and somebody calls in complaint that means populated area.

Several trips between Skyhaven and Greenland/coast. Watch out for presidents residents (presidence residence?) NOTAM.
rich smith is offline Find More Posts by rich smith
Old Nov 11, 2008, 10:14 AM
Joined Dec 2007
220 Posts
That was cool. That hill just kept getting steeper.

Statements with "see if I can" in them require search and rescue notification. At least when used with full size aircraft flight planning.
ZX11 is offline Find More Posts by ZX11
Old Nov 11, 2008, 10:16 AM
Gravity Challenging Fool
Joined Sep 2008
817 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich smith
If you fly over Boston and no FAA reports that means it is not populated. If you fly over cow patch and somebody calls in complaint that means populated area.
Ack.. I was concerned it was something like that. So basically there is no clear cut definition of where you can and cannot fly, just the whim of some ninny to call in a complaint and you're knee-deep. Yuck.

[/quote]Several trips between Skyhaven and Greenland/coast. Watch out for presidents residents (presidence residence?) NOTAM.[/QUOTE]

That's cool. I'm looking more toward flying out of Dover or Rochester, toward Plum Island, as well as over the parker river. If I got a 4 banger it should be fairly quiet, hopefully give people less of a reason to complain. Will definitely keep an eye on the NOTAMs if this plan comes to fruition. Turns out an old friend and boating buddy is manager of the local airfield around here, so I think step 1 is to go talk to him. they allow ULs, and can't really be access without flying over some degree of population. That airport is also less than 2 miles from my work. If I could find a local place from home to fly out of, I might be able to UL commute on nice days depending on costs to use the strip (and maybe park).

Another good thing about the foot-launched PGs is that they're small and light enough to be easy to move. If I could manage to stash a folding bicycle on the thing I might be able to ride w/ it on my back to work from the airfield. Be easy to tow on a trialer from a bike, but getting the trailer aboard would be a lot more challenging (probably impossible) than getting the bike aboard. Maybe wheels on the bottom of the frame, and a bracket to attach to the bike for the tow?