HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 22, 2012, 02:54 PM
Vlaardingen, The Netherlands
Joined Nov 2008
1,355 Posts
Update:

I finally attached the new fuse box to the rest of the wiring.
Then I tested the service lights, only to find out they didn't work.
Gapped a voltmeter and started testing.
On what should be 6V I measured 2,5V.
Then I tested the 12V spot, finding out that that got 6V...
I turned out to have connected the 12V battery wires to the 6V system and the 6V battery to the 12V system...
After having fixed that problem I tested all the power supplies again, finding out that when the 12V battery was attached the 12V got it's 12V, whilst the 6V systems got 2,5V, while there was no battery connected to it.
When I removed the 12V battery and attached the 6V battery I measured 4V on the 12V system, and 6V on the 6V system.
When both batteries are connected both systems got the right voltage.
Leaving me with 2 questions:
Is this dangerous?
How is this even possible?
My father mentioned induction as possible cause, what do you guys think about that?

Found me a new box to put my spare parts in.

The container housing the main switch has got it's first wall.

Painted the sheer strake.

New fuse box fully attached and ready for use.

As I had the battery wires attached the other way around I decided to move the 6V battery forward so I didn't need to adjust the length of the wires.

Last but not least I made the first side of the container and also added some of the folds in the plate.

Greetings Josse
tweety777 is offline Find More Posts by tweety777
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 23, 2012, 09:25 AM
Joined Nov 2008
1,355 Posts
Update:

Painted the sheer strake.

Nicely covered rear deck, now with the container.

Container has all it's sides, now on to completing the details, then painting it and finally I can place it on the deck.

Continued the work on filling and sanding, starting with the bulwark.

Filled the deck as well.

Also filled the rear funnel and the tower.

Repaired some damage on the rear bulwark.

More damage that is being repaired.

I also continued the work on the hyperbaric lifeboat.

Greetings Josse
Old Mar 24, 2012, 05:27 PM
Joined Nov 2008
1,355 Posts
Update:

Filled the decks on the sides some more.

I also painted the rear wall of the dive-area, but that has caused it to bend.
Now I'll have to add some reinforcement, which I actually had to do anyway.

Sailing at night is being done with as little as people as is allowed on the bridge, therefore the helmsman is on his own...

More people have arrived on the bridge so the sun must have risen again.

Now she has entered a busy shipping lane.

It's such a busy shipping lane that even the compass needs to be checked...

Crew busy getting all sorts of jobs done.

As there's a container placed on the rear deck again it can be emptied by crew, or get filled off course...

Maintenance on lifeboats and ROV being done.

In this photo is the only progress of today, the top plate of the escape hatch has been placed.

Communication with the cable crews is very important so a back-up is never a bad thing, even not when it implies hand signals...

These 2 lazy officers are checking the work that is being done at the rear deck.
Those officers have quite some live heh, well, at least until something bad happens...

Container being emptied as the crew apparently wanted to get some dinner at the end of the day, how weird is that heh?

Little off-topic, but couldn't resist to mention:
Today I've been driving a real Ferrari 360 Modena for some 20 mins.
Got a voucher for that event with a magazine, and today I used my voucher.
A company in The Netherlands has a few of these cars, spread out over a few locations and they let you drive the car on the public roads, so I couldn't test it's top speed, but at my own risk for fines I was allowed to go 30km/h faster then the maximum speed, which I this time did do!
Anyhow, here are 2 pics proving I at least stepped in to the car at the drivers side:

This is me getting in the car (for all of you who drive on the wrong side of the road: I'm the one with the sun glasses on).

Instructor starting the engine while I'm adjusting the seat prior to me driving the car.
The instructor was there to make sure I wouldn't steal the car, to tell me which way to go and some driving instructions like "make some distance, we'll accelerate towards them when we have the room", which is quite nice to hear in a 400HP Ferrari!

Greetings Josse
Old Mar 24, 2012, 09:09 PM
United States, ID, Rexburg
Joined Sep 2008
6,454 Posts
Must be a tough way to spend a day!
Foo
fooman2008 is offline Find More Posts by fooman2008
Old Mar 25, 2012, 03:27 AM
Joined Nov 2008
1,355 Posts
Hi Fooman,

I was only allowed to drive it for 20 minutes, though it felt like 5 at the most...
It was enough to give me an idea of how useless these cars are for every day driving.
The ride wasn't bad as it comes to comfort btw, only the sound of the engine could become annoying in every day use...
It really was 1 of the greatest events I took part in.

Greetings Josse
Old Mar 25, 2012, 03:12 PM
Joined Nov 2008
1,355 Posts
Update:

Painted the first part of the container black to stop light from coming through.

Added a plank which should had been placed at least a year ago...

Continued the work on the tower for a change.

First part of the hang over on the tower under construction.
I actually should have build this out of 1 piece, but this is partially due to some changes in the design of this particular part of the tower causing it to be able to make it out of 1 piece.

As the rear wall of the dive-area had bended I started adding some reinforcements to get it straight again.
Off course it won't get straight without using a straight material with a certain amount of weight, for which the battery seen in the photo seemed to be perfectly suitable.

Added some more stiffeners.

Added another part of the hang over.

Greetings Josse
Old Mar 26, 2012, 05:17 AM
Blackpool, Lancs
Joined Feb 2006
3,006 Posts
Quote:
On what should be 6V I measured 2,5V.
Then I tested the 12V spot, finding out that that got 6V...
I turned out to have connected the 12V battery wires to the 6V system and the 6V battery to the 12V system...
After having fixed that problem I tested all the power supplies again, finding out that when the 12V battery was attached the 12V got it's 12V, whilst the 6V systems got 2,5V, while there was no battery connected to it.
When I removed the 12V battery and attached the 6V battery I measured 4V on the 12V system, and 6V on the 6V system.
When both batteries are connected both systems got the right voltage.
Leaving me with 2 questions:
Is this dangerous?
How is this even possible?
My father mentioned induction as possible cause, what do you guys think about that?
Unless there is a lot of AC involved, forget induction - that only happens during changes in current. Most likely there is a connection between the two supplies in one or more of the items powered off the 12 volt rail. As to dangerous, that all depends on the path, what is in it and how you define dangerous. Voltmeters typically take very little current, so the readings might need some thinking about. The stray voltages might be at a very high impedance, and possibly harmless. If all the parts, when powered properly, work, harmless it is.
mfr02 is offline Find More Posts by mfr02
Old Apr 12, 2012, 11:23 AM
Joined Nov 2008
1,355 Posts
Update:

Sanded the bulwark though not entirely to satisfaction.
As I might take her out sailing with club next Saturday I decided to paint it anyway.

Bulwark proved to be unable to resist the forces of a sanding machine, so I needed to add some more filler to reinforce the bulwark, which has also been trimmed to the correct height.

More sanding to do tomorrow, but first I'll need to sign for my new job.
Hopefully I can finish the filling and sanding process before the end of this month as my new job starts next month.

Still a lot to sand...

Greetings Josse
Old Apr 12, 2012, 02:10 PM
Joined Nov 2008
1,355 Posts
Update:

I added a plank in the gap between the superstructure and the foc'sle deck.
I put the superstructure back in it's place as nothing can keep the plank better in place then this.

Also filled the rear deck so first I covered the edges in tape.

With the tape applied the deck didn't fit in it's place properly any more...

Then fill the lot, hoping the filler will let go of the removable deck...

Greetings Josse
Old Apr 13, 2012, 07:41 AM
Joined Nov 2008
1,355 Posts
Lunch-update:

Added the last corrugations to the container.

Then I started to transform the boat stand into the floor of a dry dock.
The blocks haven't been placed quite scientifically but it only needs to carry the weight of Well Enhancer.
When the glue has dried I'll apply some interior varnish to protect it against the elements.

The supports are a bit too low and should need an additional part but as this is just a boat stand in scale 1:75 and all it needs to do is carrying the weight of the model I don't think I'll be adding the other part.

Captain checking the progress.

As I already was working with wood I also made a new part for the part.
tomorrow I'll be sailing with the club so hopefully I can show some pics of Well Enhancer in the water by tomorrow!!

Greetings Josse
Old Apr 13, 2012, 10:31 AM
Joined Nov 2008
1,355 Posts
Update:

In order to strengthen the new plastic plates I decided to trim the removable deck.

Then I glued the outside of the deck to the superstructure.
There is 1 corner with some more deck space which is the place of a crane.

Painted the boat stand with interior varnish.

It should be possible to walk underneath the ship with only ones head bended forwards but as one can see that is not the case here.
Who cares?
Not me at least...

The removable part still fits.

Size of the container seems to be correct.

Still far from smooth unfortunately but the filler hadn't cured enough so I'll sand this bit sunday.

Height is now much more accurate.

Yesterday I also added a new piece to the bulwark.

Greetings Josse
Old Apr 14, 2012, 01:06 PM
Joined Nov 2008
1,355 Posts
Update:

Went out sailing with the club.
The bow thruster worked better then it has done for quite some time but the main engines didn't seem to know what they're top speed should be, the best I got was about half her normal top speed.
I might need to build a new fuse box as the only reason for this weird behaviour I can think of is the leaking power.
The hull remained dry inside so the repairs have paid off.

Added the captain to give an idea of the sheer size of this ship.

Some-one gave me the advice to build a new bulwark out of 2 layers of styrene, so I first made a mould so I could cut the plates in the correct shape.
It probably isn't the best mould ever but it will do the job for this first time I try this method.
Next time I'll make the bulwarks out of glass fibre in 1 piece with the hull, much stronger and very little trouble shaping it.

Parts prepared for giving the new bulwark it's shape.

Let's hope that when the glue has dried the bulwark will stay in this shape.
The amount of glue clams won't be a reason for failure, that's for sure.

Greetings Josse
Old Apr 15, 2012, 06:20 AM
Joined Nov 2008
1,355 Posts
Update:

As I would like to have the bridge deck fit properly as soon as possible I decided to continue the work inside the superstructure only to remember that I can't fix the bridge deck before I have placed some flood lights on the front wall of the superstructure.

Then I tried to solder 3 LED's to their wiring but I destroyed 2 of them while doing so and the last 1 has got loose of 1 of it's wires somewhere during the night.
When not having any luck with these kind of things it's usually best to store it for a little while and try again later on and so I did.

Read quite a few old build logs in past few days and while doing so I found a solution for how to make the coffee can, so I took a transparent sprue and cut a small bit out but I also did drill a small hole for the part with which 1 can hold the can in his hands.
The I placed the small part with shaking hands, but the result is satisfying.

So far the new bulwark seems to be a success, after the glue has dried through the night it pretty much kept it's shape apart from bending outwards a little bit, but that can be fixed by pulling it to the correct position using tape when glueing the bulwark on the deck.

As the new bulwark was ready to be fine-tuned I needed to get rid of the old bulwark, so I took a knife and cut the old bulwark off.

Where has the bulwark gone?
Do I hear a peekaboo coming??

Old and new bulwark.

After a lot of sanding and cutting the bulwark fitted as good as it would ever do so now I needed to mark the places where the Panama locks would be so I could drill the holes while there was no glue that could get loose.

Drilled the holes.

The new bulwark has been placed.

Greetings Josse
Old Apr 15, 2012, 09:27 AM
Joined Nov 2008
1,355 Posts
First some good new!!
As I know I'm getting close to finishing making a proper base for the detailing stage I made a to-do-list so I could see what still needs to be done.
I came up with a list of just 12 issues of which the last 2 are involve painting, the last being weathering.
That means that if I keep building at the speed at which I build now I could well enter the detailing stage in about 1,5 weeks!!!!
First I will make sure that every single wall on the boat fits properly and is as smooth as one can desire, the decks need to be adjusted so that all the removable decks fit perfectly inside their opening in the deck.
Finishing the plating of the tower (placing all the roofs and walls) is also an item on the to-do-list.
The rear bulwark will be reinforced with frames and a cap rail and then it will be sanded so that it will be perfectly smooth.
Finishing the bulwark on the bow is also part of this stage.
When all that is done I will paint the entire model above the waterline including the decks and all structures.
Last point on the list is weathering and then the detailing (involving more weathering) can start!!!!!!

Now it's time for yet another update:

With the superstructure in place it looks better already.

As the front bulwark turned out to be too high I started placing the frames so I could mount the cap rail at the correct height.
When this is done I can trim the bulwark to the correct height.

Placed the coffee can under the coffee machine.

Greetings Josse
Old Apr 15, 2012, 03:48 PM
Joined Nov 2008
1,355 Posts
Update:

First point on the list took me about 30 minutes to reach the point of pretty much done, only some trimming to get the heights to properly match and then the first issue is finished!!!

Another issue nearing completion fast, the tower.

Looking a lot better then with the tape.

Got rid of my last plank by turning it into a few frames which I have also placed already.
Tomorrow I'll first buy a few new planks and then I'll make new frames, 20 at a time as my arms start to dislike me when I cut them all at once...

Added some more frames.
The remaining old frames have no visible text indicating where they should be placed so I'll simply replace them by new ones.

All the plates have now been attached so tomorrow I can fill and sand the lot and then this item can be marked as done on the list.

On 1 place the glue hadn't really secured the bulwark so I added some more glue and also filled the gaps.

As the deck parts seem to not be able to get to the same height by making way underneath I decided that the filler would bee the solution.

As the new plating didn't have the correct height I added some filler to fill the gap.

Last but not least I filled the wheelhouse and the dive-area.

Greetings Josse