HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 20, 2001, 08:52 PM
Lindenwold, NJ, USA
Joined Dec 2000
3,165 Posts
Hi Chris,
I used an acrylic paint from a craft store. The brand name was Delta Ceramcoat, although different companies make the same thing. It's a ceramics paint but works on balsa. It dries dull so I added a coat of Flecto Varathane Elite Diamond Finish water based polyurathane. Your right to worry about warping. You just have to coat both sides before it dries. Shouldn't be a problem on tail feathers.

Posts some pictures when your MHLG is finished. I've been thinking of building one.

John
John Gallagher is offline Find More Posts by John Gallagher
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 21, 2001, 12:54 AM
Joined Mar 2000
406 Posts
Painting balsa wood fuse and tail feathers WITHOUT adding a TON!

I am about ready to fly my new MHLG the BUG, but would really like to paint the fuse and tail feathers, as I fly in a park next to a lake, and their is always fog/due on he grass. I'd like to paint them yellow. I read some place about using a 10:1 mix of poly and color for sealing/painting. I'd really like to know more before I DO IT! Like, which brand of polyurethane is best, and lightest, and applying it. Thanks alot...Chris

Also....Tail feathers are just 1/16" sheet balsa...Aren't they going to warp like CRAZY when I paint/seal them?
Chris Rust is offline Find More Posts by Chris Rust
Old Jul 21, 2001, 10:29 AM
North Hills
Joined Nov 1999
6,073 Posts
Chris - Here's a link for the best way to do it: http://djaerotech.com/dj_askjd/dj_qu.../lightfin.html

Yellow works especially well. I use Varathane and Tamiya water based paint,

Pete
SchiessCo is offline Find More Posts by SchiessCo
Old Jul 21, 2001, 03:35 PM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
The Parma colors are very light when airbrushed on.. Yellow would work better if you dust some white on first.
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Jul 23, 2001, 02:31 PM
Restful User
Backwoods Alabama
Joined May 2000
3,861 Posts
SOP for painting tailfeathers on a light HLG is water-based polylurethane. Clear, with no pigment, is lightest. The thin balsa will indeed tend to warp-- wipe it on, wipe it off real quick, do both sides and the warpage will even out.

If you are nervous about how the paint will apply, make up a simple test piece out of similar-grained balsa and experiment with it before committing to your finished pieces.

The DJ Aerotech site reference is good.

--Bill

[This message has been edited by Bill Harris (edited 07-23-2001).]
Jacques Flambeau is offline Find More Posts by Jacques Flambeau