HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 09, 2008, 07:49 PM
Jim in San Diego
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Nov 2002
4,090 Posts
Alert
Halfbad mini wing now available through NCFM!!!

*** Final Update! ***

May 2012
I'm very happy to announce that the Halfbad mini wing is now available from North County Flying Machines.

Thanks,
Jim

*** END Update ***

*** Latest and Greatest Update ***

August 2011 Check out post #588 for an excellent covering method from NCFM and Ubercraft's one and only Matin.

June 2011 Finally got the laser cut parts and have been building up some kits. I've got about 20 so first come first served. PM me or email me at the address below.

*** New Update***
April 2011 Having trouble getting additional laser cut parts so the official release has been postponed. Will post once I have the parts.

*** UPDATE ***
Feb-6-2011 Troy passed these kits over to me to carry on so I should have them in the next few weeks. They're not up on a website yet so I'll most likely be posting in the slope forum or sailplane FS forum. PM me if you're intrested or just keep an eye out for the new post.

***END***

Does anyone know the full story of the Halfbad mini wing?

I see *** is not up and have heard some people saying they may no longer be in production.
(1/30/2010 *** new site is up! check out: http://t3rc.com/index.html)

I bought this kit at the AMA show last year and finally got around to putting it kit together a few months back. The Halfbad was a very impressive and well put together kit and the flights matched it too. I built it a bit more stout than the instructions say so I couldn't get the 3-5 mph performance but 5+ and this thing came alive. Front side and DS is really impressive for such a small planform.

The reason I'm asking about it now is after today at Blossom valley in 15-20 mph (totally unballasted and then with a few oz's) I was "encouraged" to give it a toss and now I think I'd like to have a few more. Some of the guys that have seen them in action would probably want one too.

If the manufacturer is still out there and reads these groups I'd love to hear from you and if anyone knows them and the story please pass along.

Thanks,
Jim
Pismo is offline Find More Posts by Pismo
Last edited by Pismo; May 08, 2012 at 08:27 AM. Reason: Updated title and post
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 09, 2008, 07:51 PM
Original Jackass
Joined Feb 2008
1,934 Posts
That thing was pretty amazing today. I'd say the wind was even 20-30 at some points when it was flying.

Really kicked ass in the big lift, you just had to be careful not to get it too far behind you.
Alex May is offline Find More Posts by Alex May
Old Nov 09, 2008, 08:08 PM
Joined Apr 2007
1 Posts
Here is the link to Charger RC. http://www.chargerrc.com/ Thats where you got it during the AMA. What are you doing on the 22 and 23?

Kevin
isbates is offline Find More Posts by isbates
Old Nov 09, 2008, 10:18 PM
Jim in San Diego
Joined Nov 2002
4,090 Posts
Kevin, thanks for the link! Good to hear from you. We're heading up to Parker. I'll PM you.

Jim
Old Nov 09, 2008, 10:27 PM
Jim in San Diego
Joined Nov 2002
4,090 Posts
BTW, how in the heck do you remember that?!
Old Nov 10, 2008, 08:39 AM
The Predator
Golden, Colorado
Joined Dec 2004
3,565 Posts
I have one, unbuilt, I got from Chris, Quad shot, amatur DS junkie thread/bro, and he said they were impressive. SWEET! Glad to hear it again!
He also told me they were out of production but, that he was buddies with the manufacturer. I'll bet he'd know if there were more to be had!
The Predator is offline Find More Posts by The Predator
Old Nov 10, 2008, 01:43 PM
ALL IN !
Carlsbad, California, United States
Joined Feb 2004
2,784 Posts
Jim if u find it get me one.

Louie
Louied is offline Find More Posts by Louied
Old Nov 10, 2008, 02:00 PM
Is it DS'able?
United States, CA, Oakland
Joined Feb 2007
2,247 Posts
PM Chris (Quadshot)... his friends in Temecula were talking making more Halfbad's up at Bill's Hill a few weeks ago. He should be able to point you in the right direction.

-James
wr_mizzard is offline Find More Posts by wr_mizzard
Old Nov 10, 2008, 06:09 PM
Jim in San Diego
Joined Nov 2002
4,090 Posts
I've got emails going with Jason from Charger RC and told him I'd probably be buying a few depending on what the other San Diego guys wanted to do. I'm probably going to get a couple and I'll put you down for one Louie.

If anyone else would like to join please PM me ASAP. I asked about a group discount and Jason will let me know once I'm ready to place the order. I will also try to pick them up so we can save some shipping. If this turns out to be a hassle we can all just order them from the site above. Jason did say he had them in stock.

Jim
Old Nov 10, 2008, 06:33 PM
ALL IN !
Joined Feb 2004
2,784 Posts
Jim this is the little one you have had out the last few times right ?
Old Nov 10, 2008, 06:38 PM
It could happen...
Torrance, California
Joined Jan 2004
7,537 Posts
You got any picts of the Halfbad Jim? How little is "little"?
InTheLift is offline Find More Posts by InTheLift
Old Nov 10, 2008, 06:43 PM
ALL IN !
Joined Feb 2004
2,784 Posts
24 inches

ITL
Old Nov 10, 2008, 06:52 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,140 Posts
And it hauls !

mw
Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Nov 10, 2008, 11:29 PM
Jim in San Diego
Joined Nov 2002
4,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louied
Jim this is the little one you have had out the last few times right ?
Yup. Louie, you should have seen it up at Blossom. Flew like crazy and I put it straight in *hard* a few times and it looks like it didn't take a bit of damage. Picked it up, gave a quick once over and threw it out again. I shoulda tuned the controls way down but was having too much fun

Glenn, I don't, sorry. I'm headed over to the SD sloping thread to see if anyone else may have gotten some.
Old Nov 10, 2008, 11:54 PM
Jim in San Diego
Joined Nov 2002
4,090 Posts
I found this on my camera phone. CV-62 also reminded me of the picture over in the SD slopers thread. Mark is holding it and I'm looking dumb like at my radio "does this button turn it on?"

I'll get some video next time I take it out.

Jim