HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by szastoupil, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 27, 2010, 01:15 PM
Neenah WI
Joined Apr 2008
274 Posts
It was actually pretty painless, every thing fit great. The problem was fitting a battery, I had to do some trimming to make it work. I've flown it a few times now and I like it a lot.
IBBUCK is offline Find More Posts by IBBUCK
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 27, 2010, 04:32 PM
Black Hawk
Joined Jul 2009
49 Posts
field charging

any advice on a good set up for a field charger for NIMH battery packs for my electric senoritta? I have heard its OK to charge off a car battery... and that its not so good. Thought of just getting a little motorcyle bat if that is safer?
JHuelsbeck is offline Find More Posts by JHuelsbeck
Old Mar 27, 2010, 08:09 PM
Scott Zastoupil
USA, WI, Waupaca
Joined Aug 2002
1,627 Posts
Are you asking about advice on field chargers themselves or a battery as a power source? There are many good choices on chargers. My favorite charger that I've had so far is a Hyperion 5S14 and Mulitplex 5014. Also had a Triton for my 4 star 40 14 cell 3300mAh packs.
http://www.allerc.com/index.php?cPath=9

If this is Bob's Senorita, I seem to recall it having 10 or 12 cell packs, maybe in the 3300mAh range? Please clarify.

How many times to you looking to charge your large packs at the field? Size your field battery Amp Hour rating to determine the size of field battery you will need. Personally I like to use sealed lead acid batteries ("gel cell") for transporting. A 15-20Ah battery would charge a fully depleted 3000mAh 10 cell pack depleted 5 or 6 times. A motorcyle battery will be cheaper, but recommend you extra care of fastening it or build a box for it.

Oh, charging a couple times off your car battery shouldn't hurt depending on how big it is. Just don't push the limits as car batteries don't like deep discharges.

Scott
szastoupil is offline Find More Posts by szastoupil
Old Mar 28, 2010, 07:56 AM
end user
USA, WI, Neenah
Joined Feb 2006
1,077 Posts
i bought a 300 amp hour garden tractor battery that has served me well. they will last a long time if you charge them after each flying session.
cost is about 45 bucks
knighttwister is offline Find More Posts by knighttwister
Old Mar 28, 2010, 10:33 AM
Currently between sponsors...
Menasha, WI USA
Joined Jun 2003
771 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBBUCK View Post
It was actually pretty painless, every thing fit great. The problem was fitting a battery, I had to do some trimming to make it work. I've flown it a few times now and I like it a lot.
I just remember that the wing was a bit "weird". Maybe the Edge is diofferent, I had the Extra. Also, they didn't give much of an overlap to work with on the cowl. After I drilled mine, I glued washers over the holes, because I thought it would never survive.

I had a friend with one of the Edge 540s, and I saw video of him flying it. It looked to be extremely capable.
TailTwister is offline Find More Posts by TailTwister
Old Mar 28, 2010, 11:23 AM
Black Hawk
Joined Jul 2009
49 Posts
field charge set up.

The Senoritta was Bob's. It was ran off 10cell 2400mah NICAD bats which no longer hold a good charge. I have purchased 2 - 8cell AA NIMH bat packs at 2300 mah each and have them connected in tandem as a new power source. (i have two "packs" set up this way) The packs take about 30-40 minutes to charge and give a run time of 10 minutes. So with the two packs, I should get some good flying in as long as I can 'field charge'.

I have a little Great Planes Electrify Peak 400. Has a 12v input. Has little aligator clips. Right now I charge by conecting to a 3 amp Radio Shack power supply plugged into the wall. So would that be sufficent to connect to a small 12v power source like a small motorcyle or tractor battery?
JHuelsbeck is offline Find More Posts by JHuelsbeck
Old Mar 29, 2010, 08:21 PM
Scott Zastoupil
USA, WI, Waupaca
Joined Aug 2002
1,627 Posts
I'd recommend charging your NiMh no more than 1C, or 2.3A in your case. The 2.5A on your Peak 400 should be ok.

With an 8 cell pack, you can roughly determine how much capacity (Amp-hours) is going to be depleted out of your field battery. The charger converts power from in the field battery to the pack being charged. A rough approximation of a good charger is about 90% efficient (10% burned up as heat).

So charging your 8 cell pack should terminate each cell to ~1.6V. A quick conservative calculation here....

Flight Pack Battery voltage and current with 1.1C charge rate: 8*1.6V = 12.8V, 2.5A.
Power to Flight pack: P = I*V = 2.5A * 12.8V = 32Watts
Power at input of charger accounting inefficiency: 32W/0.9 = 35W

Current output from Field Charging battery: I = P/V = 35W/13V = 2.7A

Amp-Hours depleted if charged 40min: (40min/60min/hr) * 2.7 = 1.8Ah

So the final number that you will find handy in sizing your field battery is 1.8Amp-Hours. (Heck, round it to 2 if you'd like) This is about what I've found on my large NiMh packs is that the last 20-30% of capacity isn't usable for a power flight pack. For the sake of an example, if you purchased a 17Amp-hour gel cell, you'd probably get 5, 6, or maybe 7 charges on the peak 400 charger.

Have you flown your Senorita on the 8 cell pack instead of the 10 cell? It may have been over powered in the first place and you might be fine. I don't remember what AXI motor is on the plane. My assumption is that you didn't change the prop pitch or diameter. This type of plane is such a floater and will be forgiving in power system changes.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 07:01 AM
Neenah WI
Joined Apr 2008
274 Posts
I don't know what or where the Pics post went, or if it was deleted, but here is a display of Todd's Ercoupe.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 08:45 AM
Scott Zastoupil
USA, WI, Waupaca
Joined Aug 2002
1,627 Posts
Maybe this?

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...7#post11803985

or this?

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1047386

Once again, fantastic job!
Old Apr 13, 2010, 09:48 AM
Neenah WI
Joined Apr 2008
274 Posts
I had planned on doing a handlaunch glider next, but I saw on the soaring page the smurfgee, and didn't think I could compete with that.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 09:58 AM
Scott Zastoupil
USA, WI, Waupaca
Joined Aug 2002
1,627 Posts
That would be cool! If I remember correctly, that was some guy in EU, probably from the Nordic region where he was couped up for an extended winter.

Are your models all from a scrap block of wood? What kind of wood or other materials do you use?
Old Sep 04, 2010, 12:45 PM
Neenah WI
Joined Apr 2008
274 Posts
I had some extra depron, and Iv'e always wanted a seaplane.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 01:28 PM
Scott Zastoupil
USA, WI, Waupaca
Joined Aug 2002
1,627 Posts
Heli Advice?

I received this message from Tom (FlipFlop):

"I noticed that you're into helis. Ive had the blade msr, and now the 120 SR. Do you think my next step should be the SR? The 120SR is fun in the backyard but you can only do so much with it. Just curious what your suggestion would be. Thanks!"

I'm probably not the best person to ask about the heli progression. One thought if you are serious about helis is to get a good simulator if don't already have one. Speaking from experience this helped me learn how to hover in the virtual world and allowed me to be successful on a training gear without mishap. I ended my heli career after becoming proficient at basic forward flight.

Any other club heli experts have recommendations? Eric, Chris?

Scott
Old Oct 28, 2010, 01:50 PM
Tom Holdren
USA, WI, Appleton
Joined Oct 2010
131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by szastoupil View Post
I received this message from Tom (FlipFlop):

"I noticed that you're into helis. Ive had the blade msr, and now the 120 SR. Do you think my next step should be the SR? The 120SR is fun in the backyard but you can only do so much with it. Just curious what your suggestion would be. Thanks!"

I'm probably not the best person to ask about the heli progression. One thought if you are serious about helis is to get a good simulator if don't already have one. Speaking from experience this helped me learn how to hover in the virtual world and allowed me to be successful on a training gear without mishap. I ended my heli career after becoming proficient at basic forward flight.

Any other club heli experts have recommendations? Eric, Chris?

Scott
I did purchase Realflight G5 last week and I'm loving what is possible with a CCPM heli. I just wasn't sure if the SR was the next step. Thanks!
FlipFlops365 is offline Find More Posts by FlipFlops365
Old Feb 12, 2011, 01:41 PM
United States, WI, Appleton
Joined Jul 2010
237 Posts
Anybody have any experience/thoughts on the Parkzone Radian Pro? It looked like a lot of guys last summer were enjoying the Radian, and it looks like it might be a good way for me to get used to a more full house sailplane set up.
Jimmitude is offline Find More Posts by Jimmitude