HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by szastoupil, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 14, 2009, 09:42 PM
Sheboygan Falls, WI
Joined Nov 2006
1,729 Posts
i think I am going to buy my ama the week before, so i can hit all the events next year as well, I am probably going to bring some guys up with me as well, all noobs of course but they are fun to watch.
interplanet is offline Find More Posts by interplanet
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 14, 2009, 09:46 PM
Sheboygan Falls, WI
Joined Nov 2006
1,729 Posts
also did you happen to see the glider i had posted in the for sale section, wil that qualify for a thermal plane
Old Jul 14, 2009, 09:55 PM
Scott Zastoupil
USA, WI, Waupaca
Joined Aug 2002
1,621 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by interplanet
i think I am going to buy my ama the week before
Before what?

Yes, I see your nostalgic sailplane for sale. I wasn't sure if you have flown it or wanted to risk flying it. It sure looks like a neat model probably with a lot of history behind it. I generally recall you requesting more information (I think) elsewhere on RCGroups.
szastoupil is offline Find More Posts by szastoupil
Old Jul 14, 2009, 09:59 PM
Sheboygan Falls, WI
Joined Nov 2006
1,729 Posts
before the contest.

I dont know what I want to do with it to be honest. It is hanging in my workshop right now, i wouldnt really care if it spent the next 20 years there but there is always the what if and how good?
Old Jul 17, 2009, 08:24 AM
Wisconsin
Joined Apr 2002
281 Posts
TD contest

I noticed some chatter in the meeting minutes about a Sailplane contest. Any choice of a date yet? I am off on the 8th and 9th if that helps Not much flying done yet this year. I have flown the DLG a total of 3 times. I did manage to get the new 3m done last week and got to hand toss it. Looks like it may fly! I have a pretty busy schedule up ahead so the maiden launch may end up being at the contest!

Duey
Kestrel is offline Find More Posts by Kestrel
Old Jul 17, 2009, 10:24 AM
Appleton, WI
Joined May 2009
239 Posts
Duey,

Lee said it was usually held the second Weekend of August on Sunday, but that he said maybe it would be better to shoot for Saturday instead. It was not finalized, but I would plan on it being the second weekend in August on Saturday, until a date is announced.

Eric
Ich Bin is offline Find More Posts by Ich Bin
Old Jul 17, 2009, 11:33 AM
Scott Zastoupil
USA, WI, Waupaca
Joined Aug 2002
1,621 Posts
Duey,

Yes, the preference was given as Saturday the 8th. Send Lee an email and ask.

What model is that again? Saphire? I've probably asked about a half dozen times and keep forgetting. I assume they are obechi over foam. What is the finish on the wings? I've toyed with the idea of building one of the Genie's. There is a stock fuse kit available and a version of built up wings. I have the material for carbon wings. But my motivation wanes on flying the big 3m sailplanes.

I've been working on a DLG pod mold that has been a PIA. I have an enormous amount of hours invested over the past 6 months. The plug is in the parting plate, sealed with clay, and PVA'ed last night. I may be able to layup one half this weekend. I sure hope the final part will fit the boom.
Old Jul 18, 2009, 12:26 AM
Wisconsin
Joined Apr 2002
281 Posts
Sapphire fuse and tails. Wings are foam core with carbon skin and kevlar hinge. The span is 123" or so. 7035 airfoil. Original Sapphire had 7037.

Duey
Old Jul 19, 2009, 11:18 PM
Scott Zastoupil
USA, WI, Waupaca
Joined Aug 2002
1,621 Posts
Not much more to say than this photo indicates about the thermal flying today. New club member, Eric "Ich Bin", gives the thumbs up on the hat sucker above. What isn't shown in the pain of suncreen sweating into his eyes while Cricket and Ryan help keep's his model in sight. It was a great day flying on the winch and handlaunch with many flights 30+ minutes. Lift conditions like today, ie "stupid lift", only come around a few times per year.

Howard, feel free to post some photos that you took today. It was great to have you come up and fly in awesome conditions with us. The screaming howl in your speed passes were entertaining.
Last edited by szastoupil; Jul 19, 2009 at 11:24 PM.
Old Jul 20, 2009, 12:10 AM
Scott Zastoupil
USA, WI, Waupaca
Joined Aug 2002
1,621 Posts
Duey, this video is for you. For those of you who don't know, Duey constructed a bike winch a number of years ago. You hoist your 3m sailplane by sitting on an exercise bike of sorts that uses the back rim and part of the winch. Only thing though is that his works, this one......well watch the video and find out.

slope soaring bike launch (0 min 44 sec)
Old Jul 20, 2009, 08:41 AM
Appleton, WI
Joined May 2009
239 Posts
Scott,

Thanks for the pic. I will put less sunscreen on above my eyes next time. LOL It was a rare day for sure. Making a hour flight with a 3M would have been easy, now only if we had been working on LSF 4 or 5 then we would have had it made.

Howards speed passes and aerbatics were very slope esque. I kept waiting to hear someone yell duck. It sounded like the plane was coming in for a bombing run, but then I would look over and he was still way up there, just the noise from tip speed was so loud.

Hope we have a few more like that this year.

E
Old Jul 20, 2009, 10:43 PM
Scott Zastoupil
USA, WI, Waupaca
Joined Aug 2002
1,621 Posts
Here's a couple soaring entertainment videos.

Ryan and I hope to attend "The Bruce" contest at the end of August. Paul Naton of Radio Carbon Art put together this commerical.
The Bruce F3K Contest Commercial Announcement (1 min 0 sec)

The new handlaunch video coming out that should be full of soaring gems. I own many of his videos and are packed with great information. No, I don't work for the guy. He just offers the soaring community great products.
HLG F3K Class Preview (4 min 52 sec)
Old Jul 23, 2009, 09:07 PM
Appleton, WI
Joined Feb 2007
71 Posts
Sailplane Contest Announcement

The contest will be a non-sanctioned contest at Anderson Sod Farm on Saturday August 8th. at 10 AM. With Pilot's meeting at 9:30. We will fly the Appleton Sailplane Format, but anyone is welcome to participate as a fun fly entrant or as a contestant. In order to ensure the fun fly entrants not interfere with the contestants, they will fly when there is not a contestant waiting for a winch or will be able to fly off another winch or highstart sufficiently away from the main winch that there should not be interference. The duration tasks are 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 and 10 minutes to be flown in any order. There will be two or three 50 ft. landing circle with a 25 point in/out bonus to duration time scored as one point/second up to the target time. You have 30 seconds to land without loss of points. Points will be deducted for flying 30 seconds over the task time. We should have winch and retriever on the field.

The classes will be Unlimited and RES. If there are enough 2 meter entries, we can have a class for them as well. I look forward to seeing you there.

Feel free to call me at 920-731-4848 or e-mail me at lmurray002@new.rr.com
Lee Murray
Lee Murray is offline Find More Posts by Lee Murray
Old Jul 23, 2009, 09:59 PM
Wisconsin
Joined Apr 2002
281 Posts
Thanks for putting this together Lee. I loaded up and headed to the field this afternoon to try to get the new model dialed in. Got there and a pretty heavy rain shower came through. Went to Lomira to look at some binoculars. Came back home hoping to get another shot at it and it started to sprinkle again. Next chance will be Sunday. Weather permitting!

WOW, normally the Appleton contest is about the end of the flying season for me and this year I am just getting started. Don't know where the time went.

Duey
Old Jul 23, 2009, 10:32 PM
Appleton, WI
Joined May 2009
239 Posts
Three things.

1) Lee I have your chair from the meeting at the sod farm. I did not see you out this weekend at the sod farm. If you need it soon, let me know and I will drop it off at your house.

2) Bob had mentioned trying a ladder format for the competition. Either way I am just glad we are having one at all. Your format seems fine to me. Will there be an open flying window or rounds in which you have to launch during a certain time period?

3) Kestrel I just bought your Gambler DLG today. I also flew it at a football field this evening. I will take good care of her for you.

E