HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by szastoupil, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jun 17, 2009, 03:15 PM
Appleton, WI
Joined Feb 2007
78 Posts
Funky Servo Test 2, 3 or whatever

There was another recommendation to move servo assignments on the receiver.

Results:
Moving the right flap servo, in the wing, from channel 5 to channel 4 causes the servo to respond normally. Problem no longer there.

Lee
Lee Murray is offline Find More Posts by Lee Murray
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 17, 2009, 03:44 PM
Scott Zastoupil
USA, WI, Waupaca
Joined Aug 2002
1,625 Posts
But what happens when you move 4 to 5, you only mentioned 5 to 4? At any rate, servo seems to be good. Still hasn't ruled out the RX. This is most likely the case if I were to guess. Find a new RX to confirm and dispose of the old one.

WAS:
Right Flap = Channel 5 (Bad)
Left Flap = Channel 4 (Good)

NOW:
Right Flap = Channel 4 (Good)
Left Flap = Channel 5 (???)
szastoupil is offline Find More Posts by szastoupil
Old Jun 17, 2009, 04:17 PM
Appleton, WI
Joined Feb 2007
78 Posts
Funky Servo

I only put the left wing on the fuselage and channel 4 was the rudder. The rudder stick worked the flap there...normally one might say. I put a spare servo into channel 5 and got a good response.

Yep, I think you are probably right. The receiver is suspect. The transmitter doesn't know we changed anything.

Thanks for the loan of your brain power.

Lee
Old Jun 17, 2009, 07:22 PM
Scott Zastoupil
USA, WI, Waupaca
Joined Aug 2002
1,625 Posts
More Polecat Challenge 2009 Comments

One thing that I thought I would mention about this contest is the uncanny amount of lift/sink that this flying site generates. I don't think that I've mentioned it before, but this contest is located in Carlisle, PA. Ryan can attest to this and has mentioned many of times about the surprising amount of lift. To best describe the site is that is very similar to our Quarry Field layout, because it is a power club, same runway orientation with a paved runway, pavilion, treeline, parking lot, etc. It's a carbon copy of our site with a few extra metal buildings along the property line for the adjacent gourd farm. Although mix in a few power lines that come in to play and keep things exciting. What is really an eye opener is the amount of lift that can be had to 7am to 6-7pm. Early morning test flights at 7am it is not uncommon to get a 3 minute flight, many around 2 min. So in a nutshell, all successful thermal soaring in not necessarily 11am to 2pm. Thermal soaring sure opens my eyes to see the environment in a different way rather than saying "it's just that gosh darned wind cramping my flying style". ....Zen-like in a way. Be one with the world.
Old Jun 20, 2009, 07:39 AM
Appleton, WI
Joined Feb 2007
78 Posts
Funky Servo Situation and Flying Today 6-20

Before I consulted with Scott and Duey, I have asked Hitec about the problem. They suspected that the servo was starting to fail.
Since the servo works in an adjacent channel, the only way that the servo could be at fault is if it damaged the receiver...an interesting possibility. That could lead to more expense if I don't also get the servo looked at or replaced.

Today I need to be in Hartford to support the EAA Young Eagles who are going to take glider rides today.

Lee
Old Jun 20, 2009, 11:14 AM
United States, WI, Neenah
Joined Apr 2005
125 Posts
Congrats To Scott!!!

I thought one more Polecat post would be in order. Congratulations to Scott on some awesome flying and dominating the Sportsman class. Not only did Scott win the flyoff, but he was solidly in first place after Saturday and Sunday. As it got closer to the end of the contest, I was glad I didn't need to time for Scott, since there were much more experienced pilots that do a much better job, and I didn't want to tarnish his sweet performance.

It was fun to see all the Expert studs (Bruce Davidson, etc.) say to Scott, 'as soon as you touch that trophy you are in Expert!' Scott might not be the highest launcher (although he holds his own), he works the air with artistry of Van Gogh.

I was satisfied with my performance. After 11 rounds, I was only 200 points out of 6th place (the last slot for the flyoffs). I totally stunk in rounds 12 and 13 (five-twos (the George Carlin task) and AULD), but I finished strong in round 14 (4,3,2,1) largely thanks to Scott timing for me. For me, 11th place in Sportman was good since Polecat also has a Novice class, so the competition is pretty stiff at that level.

Great people, super fun, great food, and TONS of learning, that's what Polecat is all about. I recommend Polecat (or any other event for that matter) for anyone at any skill level. Even guys like Bruce Davidson are approachable to time for you, and although friendly, they take timing for you very seriously, so they tell you what you are doing wrong. Great for someone like me!

Seeing 13 planes in the same thermal (plenty of blenders at Polecat this year), or watching someone like Bruce or Mike Seid launch is something you will never forget.

Denny is a great guy and makes sure everyone has a blast. I'm glad to hear he is the CD for NATS.

If you want to see one of handlaunches new studs, come out to the Sod Farm and watch Scott do his thing!
rtbrowntrout is offline Find More Posts by rtbrowntrout
Old Jul 06, 2009, 01:45 PM
Appleton, WI
Joined Feb 2008
85 Posts
Gambler Replacement?

Unfortunately I have some bad news to report, while practicing the other day with my light weight Gambler AG the wing failed on a launch. I was working all afternoon on improving my launch height and think I just over did itů Anyways I now have even more motivation to either build a replacement wing or try to piece together a full house ship at a reasonable price in time for the Aug. club contest. I was wondering if anyone in the club had any suggestions on a replacement DLG that would not break the bank ( I would like to keep the cost under $500 including electronics if that is possible, otherwise I will just order some balsa and carbon to rebuild the Gambler wing.

Thanks for any suggestions.

I have been watching the posts here on RC Groups... and am kicking myself for not moving faster on a few that have sold here.

Matt
MDCramer is offline Find More Posts by MDCramer
Old Jul 06, 2009, 02:13 PM
Scott Zastoupil
USA, WI, Waupaca
Joined Aug 2002
1,625 Posts
I sent an email to a couple of guys to see if they have any leads on used ships. I'll let you know what I find.
Old Jul 06, 2009, 09:15 PM
Scott Zastoupil
USA, WI, Waupaca
Joined Aug 2002
1,625 Posts
Electric Soaring Contest Rules Posted

The VAM eSoaring rules and tasks have been posted as directed from our CD's, Ryan Thompson and Dave Hable. Event Date is August 22nd.

See site for full details
http://sites.google.com/site/valleya...lplane-contest

Class 1 - Unlimited Class
No restrictions on airframe/control surfaces, 92W/lb limit, but everyone is on the honor system

Tasks:
Round 1: 30 second motor run, 5 minute max
Round 2: 30 second motor run, 7 minute max
Round 3: 45 second motor run, 10 minute max
subsequent rounds: repeat 1 - 3 as necessary

Class 2 - Rudder, Elevator, Spoiler (RES)
Tasks:
Round 1: 60 second motor run, 3 minute max
Round 2: 60 second motor run, 6 minute max
Round 3: 60 second motor run, 9 minute max
Old Jul 14, 2009, 06:44 PM
Dave Hones
Neenah
Joined Jul 2009
12 Posts
What is a good beginer Discus Glider?

I am a glo/gas/electric pilot interested in trying discus gliders. What is a good beginner model?
FlynMX is offline Find More Posts by FlynMX
Old Jul 14, 2009, 09:16 PM
Scott Zastoupil
USA, WI, Waupaca
Joined Aug 2002
1,625 Posts
Huwahh! My plan is working! (Changing the world to DLG flyers) No, serious though. FlyMX, please post your name so we know who we are talking to.

Were you at the sod farm last night watching us fly DLG's? Anyway, here are my recommendations. A beginner (to sailplanes but with RC experience, like you) can fly most any of the competition capable model. Buying used is a good option because it is ready assembled and close to being trimmed. Shipping is not so bad to WI in the grand scheme of things. I had an assembled wing (60") and model shipped to me for $21.60 from MA. It helps if the shipper already has a box and packing materials. So I'd watch like a hawk here on RCGroups in the sailplane classifieds because they move in a VERY short time. Matt Craemer just got a deal for $350 on an XP5 with an extra wing and without the receiver. I purchased an Epona without a RX for $200 shipped.

Second option to a great beginner DLG is a Sidewinder. I don't have the updated pricing on his new version, but I'd guess between $300 to $350.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1068496

If you are really not able to afford a nice full 1.5m wingspan ship, the next option would be a Gambler from Wrightbrothersrc.com. I started out with one and flew the snot out of it. The disadvantage it is not capable of handling too much wind. (10mph tops). It's a great performing 50" wingspan balsa kit that has rudder/elevator controls.

Let me know what your price range is and I'll see what I can do. You need to have your pocketbook ready. As you will soon find out, the DLG market is a cottage industry of garage shops and only have limited throughput. Don't be discouraged by that though. It's great you're interested in trying something new!

Interplanet - Don't sell your DLG unless you have more in the quiver. You need to come up for our DLG contest on labor day weekend. We could use more young "bucks" like you for our local fun contest. We call ourselves the "Cheesehead Chuckers". Here's a photo from our club meeting last night. We had a special guest, Jeff Carr, from NC that was in town on business. We have flown with him at an east coast contest the past few years. He is the Expert class winner from this year. It was great to fly with everyone as we are hopefully starting to build more DLG pilots in the club.

I would NOT recommend a FLING DLG. It would be a bitter experience of DLG. They're heavy and break easy.
Last edited by szastoupil; Jul 19, 2009 at 11:22 PM.
Old Jul 14, 2009, 09:21 PM
Scott Zastoupil
USA, WI, Waupaca
Joined Aug 2002
1,625 Posts
Interplanet,

Is your XP4 a Tracy Brown wing? (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...2&postcount=54)

Gosh, it sure would be nice to get him to come to our contest again. He seems to be MIA.
Old Jul 14, 2009, 09:21 PM
Sheboygan Falls, WI
Joined Nov 2006
1,729 Posts
as much as I dont want to sell it, I have my first giant scale on the table and my foot looks like its not going to recover from breaking it last fall without surgery, so dlg's are iffy still. gonna finish it tommorrow and give it a couple of tosses and see how the foot feels, being 28 and having to have surgery for a reoccuring injury really makes me feel old. Not being able to run more than 400m is the worst part, at least I can still walk 18 holes though,

I guess I will see tommorrow
interplanet is offline Find More Posts by interplanet
Old Jul 14, 2009, 09:31 PM
Scott Zastoupil
USA, WI, Waupaca
Joined Aug 2002
1,625 Posts
Sorry to hear about your foot. I guess that I'm preaching to the choir, but DLG isn't that strenuous for someone like yourself, but it would be nice to be capable of a fluid spin/twist. Maybe you have a TD sailplane...even a gentle lady or an electric sailplane. Anyway, sorry to nag, we'd more than happy to have you join us at a club soaring event in August/September. It's nice to see some "local" people with an interest in soaring. We have a friendly club TD contest in the works that may happen on the weekend of August 8th. How about I say there will be Specher in the bottom of the water cooler?

Scott
Last edited by szastoupil; Jul 14, 2009 at 09:37 PM.
Old Jul 14, 2009, 09:40 PM
Sheboygan Falls, WI
Joined Nov 2006
1,729 Posts
sprecher, what foot?
interplanet is offline Find More Posts by interplanet