HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by szastoupil, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Nov 09, 2008, 08:43 PM
Scott Zastoupil
USA, WI, Waupaca
Joined Aug 2002
1,629 Posts
Yippee!
Soaring

Post topics relating to sailplanes.
szastoupil is offline Find More Posts by szastoupil
Last edited by szastoupil; Dec 30, 2008 at 07:15 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 10, 2008, 11:45 PM
Wisconsin
Joined Apr 2002
281 Posts
Dec 16 silent flight meeting

Hi,

I am planning to attend the Dec. 16 meeting.

I don't think that I have been to the Church in Appleton. Can someone give me directions please?

Thanks,

Duey
Kestrel is offline Find More Posts by Kestrel
Old Dec 11, 2008, 01:53 PM
Scott Zastoupil
USA, WI, Waupaca
Joined Aug 2002
1,629 Posts
It is located here:

Grace Luthern Church
900 N Mason St
Appleton, WI 54914

Google Map

The dates are December 16, January 20, and February 17 at Grace Lutheran Church in Appleton. Starting time will be 7:00 pm.

Silent Flight Conference at the EAA Museum has been reserved for Sat, Feb 21st. Details are TBD.
Old Dec 12, 2008, 12:03 AM
Wisconsin
Joined Apr 2002
281 Posts
Thanks Scott, that jogged my memory.

I was there once last year. I was thinking that where I had been was in Neenah.
Old Dec 12, 2008, 12:08 AM
Scott Zastoupil
USA, WI, Waupaca
Joined Aug 2002
1,629 Posts
Do you have a build project to bring?
Old Dec 13, 2008, 12:55 AM
Wisconsin
Joined Apr 2002
281 Posts
Ryan has the wing done for the DLG that I hope to get built this winter. He is bringing it. I am going to bring the pod and boom that I have for it.

At this point it is more like a parts gathering than a "build" project.

R/T Tabooish wing and tails
Taboo pod
Polecat boom
Polecat stab mount
D47 in the wings
GWS pico for rud and elv
Castle 7 Rx

I also have a new T/D model in the works but haven't been at any of them for a while. Work, harvest, tillage, deer hunting, Holidays etc have all gotten in the way of progress.

See you guys on Tues.

Duey
Old Dec 18, 2008, 03:09 PM
Scott Zastoupil
USA, WI, Waupaca
Joined Aug 2002
1,629 Posts
I thought that I'd "tickle" the soaring topic with info of interest to the group. There has been a person or two in the club interested in building a Bubble Dancer. This is a high performance 3M rudder, elevator, spoiler "gasbag". There is a version with some of the structure simplified for ease of building called the EZ Dancer designed and sold by Denny Maize of Polecat Aero Works. He has not be able to keep kits in stock and has decided to sell of the rights to Mark Miller as of 11/08. I witnessed one of the first EZ Dancers built hand launched into a thermal for a 1hr+ flight to achieve one of the League of Silent Flight Level 4 requirements. Stay tuned to as Mark may be offering this kit soon.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=950628

http://www.isthmusmodels.com/

Scott
Old Jan 15, 2009, 10:14 PM
Scott Zastoupil
USA, WI, Waupaca
Joined Aug 2002
1,629 Posts
I thought that I would pass along an email from a friend of the club, Jim Grist. It's good to hear someone is keeping warm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Grist
Here is my latest project, just finished and test flown. Very light, 5 ft.span. European. Folding prop. 2 cells Lithium. Got a nice and powerful thermal on second flight, 35 minutes in the air without needing power. Good thermals. This is at old" field, now for "electrics only", great NEW flying field a mile further down the road for the fueler guys. Still enjoy the building part as much as the flying part. Got rained out today at building houses for Habitat, bummer. Keep smiling.

Mom Mary is a busy old gal with her music (two "shows" yesterday) at "clubs" and still cooks up a grrrrrreat steak dinner! I'm thinking I'll keep her. Was cool here today (62), but nothing like the (-18F.) icebergs at Waupaca ! Hang in there.
Old Feb 03, 2009, 12:13 AM
Scott Zastoupil
USA, WI, Waupaca
Joined Aug 2002
1,629 Posts
Thoughts on washout

Interesting piece of insight from the doc...Mark Drela.

Quote:
On a typical poly wing, tip stall occurs just outboard of the outermost poly break, so that's where you need to reduce the local incidence angle. Adding washout twist to the outermost tip panel reduces the incidence mainly at the extreme tip, and not near the poly break where it's actually needed.

On a 5-panel poly wing glider like the BD or Majestic, twisting the mid panel does just about the right thing. On the more traditional 4-panel wing like an Olympic, you want to twist the inner panel, preferably mostly over the outer parts.

BTW, the main reason why washout has been shunned in RC gliders is that people have been putting it in the tip panels. Because it's ineffective there, you need a lot of it, sometimes 1/4" or more at the TE, which causes high drag at higher speeds. You need a lot less twist if it's put into the mid panels, which gives little high-speed penalty.
From: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...37#post8282437
Old Mar 29, 2009, 09:14 PM
Sheboygan Falls, WI
Joined Nov 2006
1,730 Posts
just told to come over and say a little bit, im andy, from sheboygan falls, i have a couple of sailplanes, a dlg "mutt" its an epona with an xp4 wing, a couple of 2m'ers powered and unpowered, a couple of foam sailplanes an a 4m vintage re sailplane. just wanted some info on the Dlg comp. I am going to guss its going to be held at the field so you need to be an AMA member?
interplanet is offline Find More Posts by interplanet
Old Apr 08, 2009, 12:29 PM
Scott Zastoupil
USA, WI, Waupaca
Joined Aug 2002
1,629 Posts
I told you to come over here and didn't respond...sorry. Good to hear other sailplane guys in the area. It sounds like a have a good sailplane collection started. You need some more DLG's though.

I posted information on our webpage for the two currently planned sailplane events. We haven't discussed any details of a thermal duration contest yet. So far I will be running the Handlaunch contest again this year Labor Day weekend at our Quarry Field site. If you have never participated in a hlg contest, you need to come either way. Next is something new in place of our Electric Fun Fly is an Electric Sailplane Contest/Fly-in held at our Anderson Sod Farm site. The details for the e-soaring having been quite nailed down, but there may be two different classes, and "RES" like class and "open" class with a watts/lb limit. An example task might be 30 second motor run to achieve a 10 minute flight.

Our events and sites are AMA sanctioned, so an AMA membership applies.

See http://flyvam.com sidebar for more details. Hope you can come join us for some thermal fun!

Scott
Old Apr 08, 2009, 12:33 PM
Sheboygan Falls, WI
Joined Nov 2006
1,730 Posts
I might join ama again this year just for the contests.
Old Apr 08, 2009, 01:47 PM
Scott Zastoupil
USA, WI, Waupaca
Joined Aug 2002
1,629 Posts
I forgot to add a couple other events to the list:

Midwest Whatever Fest - Slope Soaring. I'll be there with a Weasel and Easy Glider
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1009308

Also watch for the Madison Handlaunch Contest held in mid July. I don't know if they are having it again this year, but if they do it is a fun time. Hopefully they can find someone in their area to be contest director for this event into the future.
Old Apr 08, 2009, 03:47 PM
Sheboygan Falls, WI
Joined Nov 2006
1,730 Posts
I was thinking of whaterever fest as well, I have a swift 2 sloper and a 2 meter unpowered spectra I wanted to bring. I guess I will have to see what comes of it.
Old Apr 10, 2009, 11:18 AM
Greenville WI
Joined Jul 2007
629 Posts
Hello Interplanet. Yes it's a Gambler. Sorry for the late response. Hopefully we'll see you at the DLG contest.

Tim
timflight1 is offline Find More Posts by timflight1