HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by szastoupil, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jun 29, 2009, 05:35 AM
Madison, WI
Joined Oct 2003
661 Posts
Are there any plans to fly the weekend of the 4th? I would like to join your group to do some TD with my spider 2.5.
Howard
hbielich is offline Find More Posts by hbielich
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 29, 2009, 11:20 AM
Scott Zastoupil
USA, WI, Waupaca
Joined Aug 2002
1,629 Posts
Hi Howard. Thanks for stopping by the club forums. If the weather is favorable there should be someone at the sod farm. BobJ mentioned that he'll be there, but can't commit for him or anyone else. I realize you would be committing to a trip from Madison, but hopefully we can firm up who's going to be there in the Thursday timeframe when the weather forecast is more believable.

Are you in the need of a winch?

Is the Spider a newer moldie model?

Scott
szastoupil is offline Find More Posts by szastoupil
Old Jun 29, 2009, 04:26 PM
Madison, WI
Joined Oct 2003
661 Posts
I would definitely need a winch for launching. The Spider is 2.5 meter molded plane from SUSA that I got a couple of years back. It's also known as the Mystery and the Race. Although I have used it for slope flying out in CA, I used it with winch launching for TD as well. I haven't had it set up for TD for a while though, and will need to make some adjustments. I really would like a chance to practice TD flying as I will have a new 3m Xplorer arriving fairly soon. I also have a 3m F3B Calypso Cobra that I haven't gotten around to refitting with some new gear and doing some minor repeair yet. The Spider is set up on ch-38.
I would be able to come up anytime this weekend including Friday. So I'm hoping that the weather will be good and that some one will be at the sod farm.
Old Jul 01, 2009, 01:44 PM
Fond du Lac, WI
Joined Mar 2005
562 Posts
I plan on being at the sod farm on both Saturday and Sunday and will have a winch. Arrival time will be about 1:00 pm each day.
Regards,
Bob J.
Bob J is offline Find More Posts by Bob J
Old Jul 02, 2009, 05:17 AM
Madison, WI
Joined Oct 2003
661 Posts
I was thinking "Too bad it's not earlier...", but then I checked out the map to go from Madison to the sod farm. It's going to take a bit more than 3 hours to get there! So 1:00 pm is good for me too. I will be there for Saturday, but don't think I can do it 2 days in a row for Sunday. I'll spend Friday ground flying and checking out my plane.
How many guys usually show up for flying?
Thanks for bringing the winch Bob.
Old Jul 02, 2009, 09:35 PM
Appleton, WI
Joined May 2009
241 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbielich
I was thinking "Too bad it's not earlier...", but then I checked out the map to go from Madison to the sod farm. It's going to take a bit more than 3 hours to get there! So 1:00 pm is good for me too. I will be there for Saturday, but don't think I can do it 2 days in a row for Sunday. I'll spend Friday ground flying and checking out my plane.
How many guys usually show up for flying?
Thanks for bringing the winch Bob.
I have driven the Madison to Appleton route many times as that is where I went to college. I could always make it door to door in about 2 hours or little less. Now with 151 so nice, you should be able to make it under 2 hours. Unless you live very south or west of Madison.

Eric
Ich Bin is offline Find More Posts by Ich Bin
Old Jul 02, 2009, 09:41 PM
USA, WI, Appleton
Joined Sep 2005
50 Posts
I plan on going out to the Sod Farm Friday. I think I will be there sometime around noon.

Cricket
cinbau is offline Find More Posts by cinbau
Old Jul 02, 2009, 10:41 PM
Scott Zastoupil
USA, WI, Waupaca
Joined Aug 2002
1,629 Posts
flying friday 7/3

Quote:
Friday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 76. Calm wind becoming north between 5 and 8 mph.
Wow, look at the forecast. I did not edit that one. We'll see if I can sneak away when the wife isn't looking.
Old Jul 03, 2009, 11:59 AM
Wisconsin
Joined Mar 2008
80 Posts
I'm planning on being there on Sunday around 1 o'clock. Hopefully, the wind is light for a change!

Garth
hayward is offline Find More Posts by hayward
Old Jul 03, 2009, 12:15 PM
Scott Zastoupil
USA, WI, Waupaca
Joined Aug 2002
1,629 Posts
I'll be at the field around 12:30 today. Tomorrow is out for me. Unsure if I'll be there Sunday.
Old Jul 03, 2009, 12:22 PM
Madison, WI
Joined Oct 2003
661 Posts
Scott,
I was hoping to meet you at the site, but no way I could make it today. Maybe another weekend...
I will make it out Saturday by 1:00 pm and sooner if anyone says they will show up with a winch before that.
I'm a bit nervous since it's been over a year since I've flown off a winch, but anxious to get back to it.
Old Jul 07, 2009, 05:03 PM
Scott Zastoupil
USA, WI, Waupaca
Joined Aug 2002
1,629 Posts
I'll be out tonight at about 5:30pm.
Old Jul 08, 2009, 08:23 PM
Scott Zastoupil
USA, WI, Waupaca
Joined Aug 2002
1,629 Posts
I stopped by the sod farm tonight and it has been sprayed with pesticide. There was a sign by the pin box. So no flying until that sign is removed. I don't recall off hand from spraying in the past, but I think they don't want anyone on it for a couple of days. Or at least this is what Lee posted a few years back. http://flyvam.com/smf/index.php?topic=999.0

I'll be out on Friday after work if the weather cooperates.
Old Jul 09, 2009, 09:36 AM
Fond du Lac, WI
Joined Mar 2005
562 Posts
I'll be at the sod farm on Saturday and will bring a winch. Arrival time wil be about 1:00 pm.
Bob J.
Bob J is offline Find More Posts by Bob J
Old Jul 09, 2009, 10:44 PM
Wisconsin
Joined Mar 2008
80 Posts
I'll be out Friday night and Saturday.

Garth
hayward is offline Find More Posts by hayward