HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by szastoupil, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old May 22, 2009, 04:55 PM
Fond du Lac, WI
Joined Mar 2005
540 Posts
My plans are to be at the sod farm Saturday, Sunday, and Monday; weather permitting of course!

Regards,
Bob Johnson
Bob J is offline Find More Posts by Bob J
to remove ads between posts
Old May 23, 2009, 08:46 AM
Appleton
Joined Sep 2004
75 Posts
I'll be there also.
ButeoBorealis is offline Find More Posts by ButeoBorealis
Old May 23, 2009, 11:44 AM
Appleton
Joined Sep 2004
75 Posts
At 11:40 am showers are on the way and should reach Appleton by 12:10 pm. I may not make it to the field today.
Old May 23, 2009, 04:51 PM
Appleton, WI
Joined Feb 2007
75 Posts
I got an e-mail from Scott urging me to bring the winch out on Sunday.
I am glad to hear Tom and Bob will probably be there Sunday. I gave up soaring in Hartford on hopes that there would be RC soaing Sunday. I'll bring a winch and have a couple of models to fly.

Saturday was disappointing. I was ready to give it a try and then the rain came.

Lee
Lee Murray is offline Find More Posts by Lee Murray
Old May 23, 2009, 09:21 PM
Scott Zastoupil
USA, WI, Waupaca
Joined Aug 2002
1,623 Posts
I'll be there with a winchable model or two. Someone will have to remind what the footswitch is for.

I'm pretty sure Neil will be there with his 3m. He could probably use a little help on the winch. Ryan and Garth should be there also. I wonder what Sean, Mick, and Dave are up to. Oshkosh must have fallen off the planet.

Scott
szastoupil is online now Find More Posts by szastoupil
Old May 23, 2009, 09:53 PM
Wisconsin
Joined Mar 2008
80 Posts
I can't make it Sunday, but I'll be out on Monday. Got in some flying today in a couple of sessions between the showers. Cricket was out this morning and Ryan and Matt this afternoon. No significant to lift to speak of. At least none that a novice like me could find.

Have fun tomorrow.

Garth
hayward is offline Find More Posts by hayward
Old Jun 10, 2009, 11:50 AM
Scott Zastoupil
USA, WI, Waupaca
Joined Aug 2002
1,623 Posts
Just posting what I got from the AMA. I found a link that describes the flight restrictions in more detail. So no flying Thursday June 11th at either club field (or anywhere in the circles) at the specified times is my interpretation. See links below.

> Begin message from AMA

A new FAA NOTAM/TFR has been issued for the Green Bay, WI area starting at 10:40a until 3:15p CDT on Thursday, June 11th. The TFR is issued for security purposes to cover VIP movement in this area. Model aircraft operations are prohibited in this area during the specific time periods of the TFR. See the link to the TFR below for more detailed information regarding the restrictions:

* Area 1 (6/11, 10:40a - 3:15p CDT)
(30nm radius from Latitude: 4430'38"N, Longitude: 8806'43"W)
* Area 2 (6/11, 10:40a - 3:15p CDT)
(10nm radius from Latitude: 4430'38"N, Longitude: 8806'43"W)

TFR 9/2672

http://02b954f.netsolhost.com/amatfr2.html

Regards
Gregory Hahn
Technical Director
AMA
Last edited by szastoupil; Jun 10, 2009 at 12:57 PM.
Old Jun 10, 2009, 02:04 PM
Appleton
Joined Sep 2004
75 Posts
ParkZone Radian Sailplane and Sod Farm Field Conditions

Scott, I guess I am glad that I went soaring today. Just read your message.

What a perfect morning to maiden the ParkZone Radian sailplane. I arrived at the sod farm about 10:30 am. All of the thermal signs were there; hawks, birds, floating fluff, rustling tree leaves, winds light and variable, cumulus clouds, etc. First launch was at half throttle at about 45 degrees. Went to full throttle after about 20 seconds and it went vertical to launch height. Cut the throttle and found the first thermal. Started to climb to my limit of visibility and with no spoilers, decided to try a spin to come down. Full up elevator and left rudder and it started to spin. I must have cored the thermal because the Radian started to spin up into the thermal. Never happened before. I could still see its orientation so I rolled inverted and dove inverted to sinking air. It flies inverted easily and descends at a reasonable speed. Very little stress on the airframe.

I flew until about 1:00 pm with one battery pack; a 3 cell ThunderPower ProLite V2 1320 mAh. Got about 8 or 9 climbs to altitude with 10 to 15 minute soaring flights before I would bring it down. My FMA Direct charger read 21% fuel left in the battery when I got home and I was still getting vertical launches at the field.

The west end of the sod farm has a lot of standing water but it was dry enough south of the pin box. The east field along Center Road was being sprayed. It will be off limits for awhile. The center field was being harvested.
Old Jun 10, 2009, 02:23 PM
Scott Zastoupil
USA, WI, Waupaca
Joined Aug 2002
1,623 Posts
Sounds like a day well spent. Is the Radian available without a radio system yet?
Old Jun 10, 2009, 02:42 PM
Appleton
Joined Sep 2004
75 Posts
I purchased the Plug and Play version that goes for about $160.00 with servos, 480 outrunner motor and 30 Amp switch mode ESC installed. I added a Spectrum AR500 full range Rx and use my DX7 Tx. I also added the battery pack and changed out the ESC connector to Deans Ultra. Also added wide black stripes to the undersides of the wings. Otherwise, everything else is stock.
Old Jun 13, 2009, 10:33 AM
Appleton, WI
Joined Feb 2007
75 Posts
Flying on June 13

I plan to fly the afternoon of June 13 at the sod farm. I'll have a winch. Expecting: Partly sunny. Highs 70 to 75. Southwest wind 5 to 10 mph. Should be a great day. Yesterday looked fantastic based on the cus. Saw Tom Rodgers flying yesterday...at least I thought it was Tom. Was going bike riding on the bike trail with Bobbie.

Lee
Lee Murray is offline Find More Posts by Lee Murray
Old Jun 19, 2009, 11:36 AM
Scott Zastoupil
USA, WI, Waupaca
Joined Aug 2002
1,623 Posts
Flying on Saturday 6/20

Tomorrow looks to be a decent soaring day. Ryan and I will mostly likely be there sometime in the morning. It's going to be a warm one with a slight breeze. Looks like a good day for me to experiment with ballast in the handlaunch. I molded some 1.0, 1.5 and 1.9oz slugs to give a try.

Who else is going to be there?
Old Jun 19, 2009, 09:52 PM
Wisconsin
Joined Mar 2008
80 Posts
I'll be out tomorrow. What time are you guys heading out there?
hayward is offline Find More Posts by hayward
Old Jun 20, 2009, 11:02 AM
United States, WI, Neenah
Joined Apr 2005
125 Posts
Hi Guys,

I'm going to be at the Sod Farm in about 1/2 hour, so that will put me there about 11:30. My dlgs are beat up pretty bad from Polecat (3 mid-airs and a wing saddle problem), but I think I have them patched up enough to have some fun today.

I need to get in as much flying as possible since the NATS is only a little over a month away.
rtbrowntrout is offline Find More Posts by rtbrowntrout
Old Jun 27, 2009, 10:17 AM
United States, WI, Neenah
Joined Apr 2005
125 Posts
Anybody flying this weekend? The forecast for today (Saturday) is not terrific, but Sunday looks really bad (winds 20+ mph). I think I'll venture out about 11:00 or so today. Right now it looks like most of the rain is north of Neenah.
rtbrowntrout is offline Find More Posts by rtbrowntrout