SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by szastoupil, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Apr 13, 2009, 11:11 AM
Scott Zastoupil
USA, WI, Waupaca
Joined Aug 2002
1,627 Posts
Tom, how where the flying conditions yesterday?

I was able to sneak out before our family gathering in the afternoon. I had intentions of flying the 2m SkyE, but stuck to flying handlaunch. Flying at Iola, the thermals moved through pretty fast and tough below 100ft, but above that height they were pretty strong and went downwind very quickly.

By the way, there are monthly X5J Postal contests here in RCGroups. This past weekend was one of the dates and didn't realize it until last night. I have never done it before, but it seems like a fun little contest "on your honor" where you submit your scores to the forum based on a few flights over a weekend. There are temperature bonus points included. If one was inclined, there would have been major temperature bonus points for pilots flying 0F or below.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1028226

Scott
szastoupil is offline Find More Posts by szastoupil
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 13, 2009, 05:59 PM
Appleton
Joined Sep 2004
76 Posts
Scott, I found the conditions at the Sod Farm exactly the same as you found at Iola. I flew the Omega 1.8m from noon to about 2:30 pm on one battery pack. Each flight lasted about 20 minutes before I brought the plane down for a rest. The winds were strong and gusty at times so the plane got downwind over the newly seeded area pretty fast. So with the small wingspan I spent a lot of time just keeping the plane in sight and getting it back to the landing area.

I'll have to look more closely at the Postal contests. Thanks for the heads up.
ButeoBorealis is offline Find More Posts by ButeoBorealis
Old Apr 13, 2009, 06:08 PM
Appleton
Joined Sep 2004
76 Posts
I also tried flying figure eights in front of me and waiting for the next thermal to come through from the gun club and road instead of following each thermal downwind.
Old May 03, 2009, 10:27 AM
United States, WI, Neenah
Joined Apr 2005
125 Posts
Anybody flying at the Sod Farm today. The forecast looks pretty good (temps mid 60s and winds <10mph). I need to get a lot of practice with my DLGs for the upcoming contests, so I'll be out there today.

I was out there for a brief time yesterday morning. It is still pretty wet west of the frequency pin box, but there was a patch of dry sod between two cut areas that was dry.

Ryan
rtbrowntrout is offline Find More Posts by rtbrowntrout
Old May 03, 2009, 11:15 AM
Appleton
Joined Sep 2004
76 Posts
I'll be at the sod farm this afternoon with a couple of electric sailplanes. Since the west end of the field is wet I won't bring a winch since the turnaround would be located in the wettest part of the field because of today's wind direction.
Old May 14, 2009, 12:58 AM
Scott Zastoupil
USA, WI, Waupaca
Joined Aug 2002
1,627 Posts
It looks like the flying weather may be ok on Sunday. Anyone going to be at the sod farm? Saturday looks like a windy one.

Scott
Old May 14, 2009, 04:25 PM
Wisconsin
Joined Mar 2008
80 Posts
I'll head out there a few planes. I could use some help with the DLG if you're going to be around. What time were you thinking of heading out?

Garth
hayward is offline Find More Posts by hayward
Old May 14, 2009, 04:45 PM
Scott Zastoupil
USA, WI, Waupaca
Joined Aug 2002
1,627 Posts
I think I'm clear to go. Probably around 11am or so.
Old May 14, 2009, 05:21 PM
Wisconsin
Joined Mar 2008
80 Posts
I'll plan on being there around 11.
hayward is offline Find More Posts by hayward
Old May 17, 2009, 11:07 PM
Scott Zastoupil
USA, WI, Waupaca
Joined Aug 2002
1,627 Posts
I had a great time flying today. The day started out less than optimal with the wind blowing much harder than expected. With a little patience it started to decline with increased cloud cover around 1 or 2pm. With the wind more reasonable the thermal activity picked up. Handlaunch planes pretty much ruled the field with Garth, Ryan, myself, and Matt. Later in the afternoon the lift was still very good. I think everyone got their share of a nice boomer up to spec height.

New club member Neil stopped out with one of Fran's old 3m meter planes. He was itching to get a couple trim tosses in despite our recommendations not to with the gusty wind. All went well with some handlaunches and launches off the high start. Neil is a club member from 8+ years ago, so it didn't take long for him to get his bearings straight again. He flew my Easystar for probably an hour straight and managed to get a 15+ minute unpowered flight. I think we have a new thermal pilot. Thanks to Cricket for the use of his high start to launch for Neil's 3m glider.

As usual, it was a good day at the field. I think I set a personal record flying 4 different models in one outing and one of them not being mine. Also it was my first time flying a 3m model.

Scott
Last edited by szastoupil; May 18, 2009 at 01:40 AM.
Old May 18, 2009, 09:34 PM
Appleton, WI
Joined Feb 2008
85 Posts
17th

Yes the 17th was a great day to be out flying, at first I thought the gambler was just to light for the wind conditions but as the wind died down I was able to spec out twice, and had a lot of fun for the first time out with the hand launch gliders for the year.

By the way I am still looking for a good full house DLG so if anyone runs accross a good deal, or is willing to help me cratch together a few parts on a limited budget that would be great.

Matt
MDCramer is offline Find More Posts by MDCramer
Old May 19, 2009, 03:33 PM
Scott Zastoupil
USA, WI, Waupaca
Joined Aug 2002
1,627 Posts
5/19

There should be a couple of us at the sod farm around 6pm.
Old May 21, 2009, 11:56 PM
Scott Zastoupil
USA, WI, Waupaca
Joined Aug 2002
1,627 Posts
Anyone going to be out at the field this weekend? Saturday cloud cover looks questionable, but Sunday's forecast looks to be a great soaring day.
Old May 22, 2009, 09:05 AM
Appleton, WI
Joined Feb 2007
78 Posts
Flying on Sunday

I will come out to the sod farm on Sunday about 12:30 with the Fran LeClercq winch. I just charged the battery. I think we will have a slight East wind. I have heard that we will need to be on the eastern end of the sod farm. I hope there will enough grass going east and west.

Hope to see you there. I might be able to be there earlier, if I know people will be coming out earlier. Has anyone checked that out yet?

Lee
Lee Murray is offline Find More Posts by Lee Murray
Old May 22, 2009, 10:08 AM
Scott Zastoupil
USA, WI, Waupaca
Joined Aug 2002
1,627 Posts
Yes, we may need to relocate and I am thinking the most amount of sod is towards the east end. I guess wherever we have to go in order to accommodate the winch. The pin box is on the west end, but that can be easily moved if Tom is ok with that. If so, one of us can contact Hal to get the crapper moved.