HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by szastoupil, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Nov 09, 2008, 07:28 PM
Scott Zastoupil
USA, WI, Waupaca
Joined Aug 2002
1,626 Posts
Yippee!
Who and When Members are Flying at Anderson Sod Farm

Please post when you plan on being at the Anderson Sod Farm so other's can meet you there.

This thread will be archived by year. Please use this thread for the remainder of 2008.
szastoupil is offline Find More Posts by szastoupil
Last edited by szastoupil; Apr 18, 2010 at 10:14 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 25, 2009, 01:25 PM
Scott Zastoupil
USA, WI, Waupaca
Joined Aug 2002
1,626 Posts
Has anyone been out soaring yet this year? On Friday Ryan and I maidened his 2m Supra-hybrid at a local Neenah park. I think the high start was a little sluggish due to the cold weather, but all in all the flights went very well. I think Ryan was happy to see the hard work of his creation pay off. Saturday I flew local to Waupaca at the Iola model field. The thermal weather was awesome and a nice cure to cabin fever. My first handlaunch flight was 10+ minutes in multiple thermals and had a few other 10+ minute flights. One of the flights was cued by a hawk, so I spent some time flying with him. Also flew the Art Hobby 2m Sky-E for a 20+ minute flight on about 45 seconds of motor run time. What a great day to get the season started. Now just holding out for more nice weather to maiden 3 other sailplanes; Multiplex Easyglider, Sleger 2m Fazer, and ~110' Sleger Condor.
Old Mar 28, 2009, 10:05 PM
Wisconsin
Joined Apr 2002
281 Posts
No flying but I should be able to finish up my new DLG tomorrow.

Then it is on to finishing up the new 3 meter.

Duey
Kestrel is offline Find More Posts by Kestrel
Old Mar 28, 2009, 10:18 PM
Scott Zastoupil
USA, WI, Waupaca
Joined Aug 2002
1,626 Posts
Remind me which 3 meter you are building.

Ryan and I had a wing bagging party a couple weeks back. I got to help layup one half of a Taboo GT wing. That will be my backup plane this year, so we'll have to compare.

Scott
Last edited by szastoupil; Mar 28, 2009 at 10:26 PM.
Old Mar 29, 2009, 01:36 PM
Wisconsin
Joined Apr 2002
281 Posts
It is a Sapphire with a C/F skinned wing with Kevlar hinges. 7035 airfoil. Then I will probably keep which one I like best and sell the other one. The "other" one is my old Sapphire with 7037. Can't fly two of them and I really don't have room for more than about 6 models. Sometimes wonder why I decided to build another one anyway! The old one works just fine.

HHHMMM, Seems that my wife said something similar to that!

Duey
Old Apr 05, 2009, 12:38 PM
Wisconsin
Joined Apr 2002
281 Posts
Got out yesterday with the new DLG. First hand toss showed a need for a touch of "up". Second toss looked pretty good. Third try was a mild discus launch. Nice. It was later in the afternoon and was starting to get cool. Not much thermal activity. One small wind direction shift that I was able to find a little lift good for a couple of minutes. Launches very nice. On the last landing I thought the stab wiggled sort of odd. Checked it out and found that the glue joint between the boom and mount had failed. Lucky to have noticed it or it could have been a disatrous next launch. Looks like a keeper!
Old Apr 05, 2009, 03:41 PM
Scott Zastoupil
USA, WI, Waupaca
Joined Aug 2002
1,626 Posts
Good to hear that you got the new DLG in the air. If you didn't make your tail removable, I would suggest a small kevlar or fiberglass patch on each side to keep your tail from blowing off.

I happened to get out shortly after noon yesterday and flew until about 4. There was a fairly thick haze in the sky, but with the low wind there was enough warming for pretty good thermal activity. I maidened the Multiplex Easystar and Easyglider. Surprisingly the Easystar thermaled well and was able to get a 10 minute flight on a 30 second motor run. Not too bad for a plane that is meant as an electric trainer. It was also another day thermaling with birds, buzzards this time. Hooking up with the DLG at low level was challenging, but finally got a couple flights to spec height. Later on in the afternoon I noticed the thermals at my location were dissipating at about 300-400ft.
Old Apr 05, 2009, 05:05 PM
Wisconsin
Joined Apr 2002
281 Posts
I mounted it with a pylon from Polecat. The stab is removable with small screws. The instructions from Oleg's site says to glue it on with med or slow C/A. The Med. C/A that I have is foam safe and I have not been real pleased with it. Even less so now! I have scored the surfaces well this time and it is currently setting with Epoxy. I plan to take a look at it after it is stuck on again to see how I can give it a little extra insurance. Thought about a couple of wraps of thread but it would have to wrap over the control rod tubes and would bind if pulled tight. I will probably just use a couple of small bits of glass and some thin C/A. Just a little something that would hold it in place even if it did come loose.
Old Apr 05, 2009, 07:35 PM
Scott Zastoupil
USA, WI, Waupaca
Joined Aug 2002
1,626 Posts
Ok, I know the mount you have. It is the same one that is on my Falken. I think I sanded the inside of mine and sanded the boom and used thin CA. There is most likely mold release on all carbon parts, so light sanding and some alcohol is standard. Anyway, hope all is well now.
Old Apr 10, 2009, 08:12 AM
Appleton
Joined Sep 2004
76 Posts
I stopped at the Sod Farm yesterday, April 9th, to check the field conditions. The west end where we were flying at the end of last year is very wet. Some mallard ducks were enjoying a swim. A large part of that field has been harvested. The frequency pin box is there along with the porta-potty. I couldn’t get close enough to check on the condition of the pin box. The porta-potty was on its side. The field in the middle is in great condition with thermal producing fields on either side. The field on the east end bordering Center Road looks good. I may stop out Sunday afternoon with a couple of electric sailplanes if the weather co-operates.
ButeoBorealis is offline Find More Posts by ButeoBorealis
Old Apr 10, 2009, 09:03 AM
Wisconsin
Joined Apr 2002
281 Posts
Scott, I had scraped and sanded the joining areas. But, I think the issue was the C/A used. I have had some other things that it just did not seem to bond very quickly. It is foam safe med. It did a great job glueing the horns into the wings but it doesn't seem to work as good on surfaces that it can't soak into. May be a good idea to toss it! I have it attached with epoxy now and it looks like I would have to crack the pod to get it loose now.
Old Apr 10, 2009, 09:24 AM
Scott Zastoupil
USA, WI, Waupaca
Joined Aug 2002
1,626 Posts
Duey,
I feel similar to you in questioning some brands of foam safe CA in terms of bond integrity. Lately, I've been trying to keep to Mercury adhesives brand for foam safe as I really like their product. Otherwise I like to keep to using thin epoxy for most everything including horns. Maybe it's just me, but I like not have to worry about a brittle bond in certain areas, but requires a little more patience to wait for the glue to cure.

Tom,
Give us an update when you know which section the Anderson sod farm wants us to fly from.
Old Apr 10, 2009, 09:34 AM
United States, WI, Neenah
Joined Apr 2005
125 Posts
Hi All,

Tom, what day can we start flying at the Sod Farm? Is the 15th the first day we can fly out there?

Thanks,

Ryan
rtbrowntrout is offline Find More Posts by rtbrowntrout
Old Apr 11, 2009, 08:04 AM
Appleton
Joined Sep 2004
76 Posts
Ryan, the official opening for flying at the Sod Farm is April 15th. However, with the drier weather we have been having and high pressure forecast for the next few days I think that you could start flying any day now.

I would recommend flying from the center field until further notice. A reminder to everyone to stay off the grass if frost is present. Usually not a problem for us thermal seekers.

I plan on being at the Sod Farm tomorrow afternoon to check field conditions and fly an Omega 1.8M and Renny II 2M.
ButeoBorealis is offline Find More Posts by ButeoBorealis
Old Apr 12, 2009, 09:49 AM
United States, WI, Neenah
Joined Apr 2005
125 Posts
Hi Tom,

Thanks for the info. With a little luck, I should be able to stop out in the late afternoon today. I have a few new projects to maiden.

Ryan
rtbrowntrout is offline Find More Posts by rtbrowntrout