SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 09, 2008, 04:36 PM
Hey, watch this!
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Feb 2005
455 Posts
Discussion
Cutting G10 and Shellac on FFF

I have been using the thinnest G10 from Dave Brown (I think I got it from him) to reinforce fuselages for our electric combat panes. Sandwiched between a couple of layers of FFF it seems to work pretty good. I've been cutting 1/4 to 1/2-inch wide strips from the larger sheet by scoring with a model knife and 'cracking' to separate it. I want to order some thicker sheets for larger projects but I don't think the scoring/cracking procedure is the best way to cut the stuff. Does anyone have experience cutting up to 1/16 G10?

Also, I have been using regular clear shellac for a balsa sanding sealer for decades. Recently I was using it on an Elipstick and had a scrap piece of FFF nearby that I used as a place to wipe off the excess shellac from the brush . Just for kicks I ended up painting on three coats of shellac on the 12x3-inch scrap. The scrap had film on one side and I painted the 'bare' side. It did not warp and it is noticeably stiffer. I have no idea how much weight I added but it may at least be useful to strengthen curved parts. So the other question is; has anyone used shellac on FFF before and with what results?

FWIW, the shellac is cheap and it dries quick but I recently tried using Minwax Wood Hardener and it serves as well as Shellac as a sealer but it really does harden balsa. I haven't used it on FFF but I will the next chance I get. Has anyone else fiddled with the stuff?
Raymond-leflyr is offline Find More Posts by Raymond-leflyr
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Whining (not winning)
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 09, 2008, 04:41 PM
I just want to fly
USA, IN, Jeffersonville
Joined Aug 2008
690 Posts
Im sorrry but what is G10?
justwanttofly is offline Find More Posts by justwanttofly
Old Nov 09, 2008, 07:23 PM
quick, stretch into a monster!
Everett, WA
Joined Apr 2007
978 Posts
fiberglass.
cutting it- try using heavy shears. that might do it.
Mr.Me is offline Find More Posts by Mr.Me
Old Nov 09, 2008, 07:55 PM
Palmdale, Ca
Joined Jul 2004
243 Posts
you can cut fiberglass with a bandsaw. The blade will dull quick but it still cuts it and you can use that same blade over and over on fiberglass. Just dont try to cut wood with that blade. Word of caution...Wear a dust mask !!!!!
Crash & Burn is offline Find More Posts by Crash & Burn
Old Nov 10, 2008, 12:49 AM
Registered FFF Addict
Grand Junction, Colorado
Joined Dec 2007
2,930 Posts
Use a utility knife with a shingle cutting draw blade. Use a straight edge and score both sides with 2 passes then bend slightly on the edge of a table and it will pop cleanly. I have successfully done this on .062 G10. I have etched PC boards for electronic projects.
larryross is offline Find More Posts by larryross
Old Nov 10, 2008, 06:53 AM
Quebec, Canada
Joined Aug 2006
172 Posts
a hacksaw ( metal saw) works well.
Wb
windbender is offline Find More Posts by windbender
Old Nov 10, 2008, 10:54 AM
Registered FFF Addict
Grand Junction, Colorado
Joined Dec 2007
2,930 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by windbender
a hacksaw ( metal saw) works well.
Wb
Ya that's true WB, but not as easy to hold on to as a utility knife and a little rough on your hands as you need to apply substantial pressure (I've used that too, but would not recommend it).

WB I think I misunderstood your comment. I thought you meant to use a broken hacksaw blade. Anyway don't use a broken hacksaw blade. If you are cutting narrow strips I think trying to cut with a hack saw would cause the piece you are cutting off to brake off every 1/2" or so. This has been my experience anyway.
Last edited by larryross; Nov 10, 2008 at 11:05 AM.
Old Nov 10, 2008, 10:58 AM
Registered FFF Addict
Grand Junction, Colorado
Joined Dec 2007
2,930 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond-leflyr
I have been using the thinnest G10 from Dave Brown (I think I got it from him) to reinforce fuselages for our electric combat panes. Sandwiched between a couple of layers of FFF it seems to work pretty good. I've been cutting 1/4 to 1/2-inch wide strips from the larger sheet by scoring with a model knife and 'cracking' to separate it. I want to order some thicker sheets for larger projects but I don't think the scoring/cracking procedure is the best way to cut the stuff. Does anyone have experience cutting up to 1/16 G10?

Also, I have been using regular clear shellac for a balsa sanding sealer for decades. Recently I was using it on an Elipstick and had a scrap piece of FFF nearby that I used as a place to wipe off the excess shellac from the brush . Just for kicks I ended up painting on three coats of shellac on the 12x3-inch scrap. The scrap had film on one side and I painted the 'bare' side. It did not warp and it is noticeably stiffer. I have no idea how much weight I added but it may at least be useful to strengthen curved parts. So the other question is; has anyone used shellac on FFF before and with what results?

FWIW, the shellac is cheap and it dries quick but I recently tried using Minwax Wood Hardener and it serves as well as Shellac as a sealer but it really does harden balsa. I haven't used it on FFF but I will the next chance I get. Has anyone else fiddled with the stuff?
Let me know how the wood hardener works on FFF if you try it.

Larry
Old Nov 10, 2008, 02:33 PM
Hey, watch this!
Joined Feb 2005
455 Posts
Addiction is it?

Oh Larry, how sad it is to read of your addiction to FFF - because I too am afflicted! I hereby take strength from your public confession and declare to the world that, "FFF has changed my life!" There, I've said it out load and I'm no longer ashamed.

For me its not just FFF, but the evil trio. Yes, FFF, outrunners, and li-pos.

But take heart Larry. All is not lost. The Elipstik shellacing led me to experiment with it on FFF, and I'll try wood hardener next. Judging from the smell I would expect wood Hardener to attack the foam but I thought that shellac would too. There, I've admitted to being wrong once. See how I've grown?

As for the G10 (fibreglass/resin laminate) cutting, I tried scissors and got cracked/broken pieces. Scoring and cracking requires a lot of scoring and I don't think its what I want for the thicker pieces. So I guess I'll sacrifice a bandsaw blade and make sure I have a zero-clearance table insert in place. The scroll saw would probably work for shorter pieces; twice throat depth. But the bandsaw would be quicker I'm sure.

I need to cut out a couple of FFF wings in the next day or two so I'll report back on the wood hardener but I intend to use shellac on at least the 'step' part of a KF wing (just the front 40% to keep the weight down). I'll try to remember to weigh before and after.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Whining (not winning)
Old Nov 10, 2008, 02:41 PM
Registered FFF Addict
Grand Junction, Colorado
Joined Dec 2007
2,930 Posts
Thanks for your understanding Ray
Old Nov 10, 2008, 02:44 PM
Registered FFF Addict
Grand Junction, Colorado
Joined Dec 2007
2,930 Posts
Maybe someone will start group therapy for people like us.
Old Nov 10, 2008, 03:26 PM
My plans are in my blog
Kotzebue, Alaska
Joined May 2006
5,416 Posts
Hello, my name is Donald, and I'm a foam-aholic. I've been addictied to foam for about four years now. I was not aware of any addictive qualities it harbors, so I took to it full force. I use it almost every day, especially on weekends, where I am known to go mighty close to over-dosing on the stuff.
My family and friends suffer because of it.
wife: You spend more time with that stuff then me!
Kids: Why don't you ever play with me any more?
Friends: Long time no see.
I don't know what to do anymore. I need help.
Rusty-Gunn is offline Find More Posts by Rusty-Gunn
Old Nov 10, 2008, 05:50 PM
Registered FFF Addict
Grand Junction, Colorado
Joined Dec 2007
2,930 Posts
HELLO DONALD!!!
Welcome... We know what you mean.
Wife: You're going through your second childhood. Your planes are better documented pictorially than your kids.
Kids: Been gone fore some time... When did that happen?
Friends: What's that something you glue or paint foam with?
I don't know if there is any help for us.
Old Nov 10, 2008, 07:08 PM
Registered FFF Addict
Grand Junction, Colorado
Joined Dec 2007
2,930 Posts
Donald
I hijacked your wart hog thread. Not really, I vectored and did a pdf for myself and posted the pdf and tiled templates if anyone else was interested. Hope that was OK.

Larry
Old Nov 11, 2008, 06:10 AM
Hey, watch this!
Joined Feb 2005
455 Posts
Well Donald and Larry I can only quote from one of my favorite movies (perhaps second only to the Sound of Music), "oh the horror, the horror!"

Edit: Aha, scoring both sides! Haven't tried that. By the by, is there a better (cheaper) source for G10 than Dave Brown?
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Raymond-leflyr; Nov 11, 2008 at 06:37 AM.