HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 15, 2009, 07:54 AM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, OK, Henryetta
Joined Nov 2005
25,315 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crash331
This meltdown we are having right now isn't caused by Chinese exports. It may be a small factor but not on the scale we are talking. All of the Chinese RC orders in a month couldn't total what 1 foreign car sale would be.
I'd love to see your numbers on that. I have yet to confirm how much business HC is doing with Yankee dollars. It looks like you got a source. Can you share that with us?

Thanks,

Frank
Murocflyer is offline Find More Posts by Murocflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 15, 2009, 08:00 AM
Joined Nov 2005
25,315 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMO
I don't have a problem with it at all. If i depended on selling servos, brushless motors and lipos, I'd be in trouble anyway. I could go into a long answer here, but in a nutshell:

1. My customers are older, more experienced and wiser about value than average. A no questions returns policy and my expert advice is worth alot to them. I use regular customer discounting and "mailbox" service on special orders to keep it them happy. They know that they can get anything- and I mean anything, at the same price from me. For this I applaud Great Planes and Horizon for essentially saving the business with their MAP policy, and enforcement.

2. UH's policies, service, and quality creates as many customers as it takes away (just look at the Vendor threads), and the beauty is that the customers they keep are the ones I don't want anyway.

3. There is a perception here that RC Planes and Heli's are the whole business. At the store level, it ain't.

4. Christmas and Birthdays. Let's face it. You aren't ordering from China, or going to give somebody a Hobby City gift card for an occasion.

I could go on. I saw your thread ("HC Yes or No?") in the vendor forum. It didn't seem one sided in favor to me.

-T
TMO,

Thanks again for your insight. It's great to hear from folks in the trenches on how good and/or bad the RC business in America is doing. We talk about it a lot here on RCG in all different forums when referring to ARFs, kit makers, the AMA, etc, it would be great if more LHS owners could stop by and share their experiences with us.

Frank

Frank
Old Mar 18, 2009, 01:15 AM
Calhoun, GA
Joined Dec 2006
731 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by murocflyer
I'd love to see your numbers on that. I have yet to confirm how much business HC is doing with Yankee dollars. It looks like you got a source. Can you share that with us?

Thanks,

Frank

No, no super secret source. Just a decent understanding of what caused all of this

The Crisis of Credit Visualized (11 min 10 sec)
crash331 is offline Find More Posts by crash331
Old Mar 18, 2009, 01:31 AM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2007
4,497 Posts
Quote:
No, no super secret source. Just a decent understanding of what caused all of this

http://www.vimeo.com/3261363
Like I stated before, I don't feel bad about buying from HC. I know the same suppliers to HC supply the expensive battery distributors in the U.S.

I will buy the $12 3S 25C 1300mah packs vs the $50 15C packs as long as I am able to. I realize there is a cash flow problem with local hobby stores. I can't help that much. (I am unemployed as of last Friday)

I realize that what I do vs the good of the country (& my own self interest) is a dichotomy, but there you go.
eagle777 is offline Find More Posts by eagle777
Last edited by eagle777; Mar 18, 2009 at 01:43 AM.
Old Mar 18, 2009, 09:17 PM
Joined Nov 2005
25,315 Posts
Sorry to hear about your job loss. I hope things turn around for you soon.

(I guess change is coming. Or is it here yet?)

Frank
Old Mar 24, 2009, 08:29 PM
Joined Nov 2005
25,315 Posts
And another one the other day. They are dropping like flies in winter.

Hobby Masters - in the Raleigh, NC area.

Frank
Old Mar 24, 2009, 08:51 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Hi Frank,

We have one in my area that is closing up shop. It's been around since I was much much younger than I am now.

A few years back he decided he wasn't selling GWS planes anymore, even though many people wanted them.

Then after selling me my Specktrum DX6, he decided to get another bug up his butt, and dropped the JR line of transmitters completely and deal only with Futaba. Sort of left myself, and quite a few others in the cold because now we had to find someone else to take our money for receivers. Let's see.... I have maybe 40 AR6000's at $50 a pop, so I guess my $2000.00 wasn't worth sitting in his cash register.

Then a couple years ago, he decided he wasn't going to deal anymore with any vendor of coverings that sold So-Lite. If you insisted on So-Lite, he would sell you the Coverite version at $24.00 a roll.

Then he decided that if you wanted to build from balsa and covering, you would either buy Guillow's kits, or nothing.

I tried to support my LHS in any and every way I could think of doing. Unfortunately, the old guy who ran this hobby shop never heard of this thing called the "Internet".

So in the end, he dug his own grave, jumped down into it, and found a whole lot of people willing to shovel the dirt in on top of him.

Adios Joe's Hobby of Farmington, Michigan.

Chuck
NoFlyZone is offline Find More Posts by NoFlyZone
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Mar 25, 2009, 08:25 PM
Joined Nov 2005
25,315 Posts
Chuck,

Sorry to hear about your LHS. Looks like he refused to grow. Perhaps he was looking for an excuse to close/retire?

We are lucky here. Our LHS is exactly the opposite that what you describe. It's a Mom and Pop store that is very helpful and receptive to their customer's needs.

Frank
Old Mar 25, 2009, 08:27 PM
Joined Nov 2005
25,315 Posts
Quote:
All of the Chinese RC orders in a month couldn't total what 1 foreign car sale would be.
Crash,

Any luck on digging up those dollar figures? I'd be really interested to see how many Yankee dollars are being sent over to China each month.

Thanks,

Frank
Old Mar 25, 2009, 11:34 PM
TMO
Stonington, Ct.
Joined Nov 2001
1,290 Posts
Frank,
I know you're looking for hobby figures, but in case you're also interested in the big picture, this is place: http://www.bea.gov/newsreleases/inte...wsrelease.html

from the release:
Deficits were recorded, in billions of dollars, with
China $20.6 ($19.9), Japan $4.3 ($5.3), OPEC $4.0 ($4.7), the European Union $3.5 ($7.0), Mexico $2.7 ($4.1),
Canada $2.5 ($2.8), Korea $1.9 ($1.4), Taiwan $1.3 ($1.3), and Venezuela $1.1 ($1.2).

I don't want to give everybody an economics lecture, but the big picture is that our trade deficit shrank dramatically in the most recent report, which is tallied through January. In plain English, for the first time since 2001, we actually exported more in dollar terms than we imported- due mainly to the huge drops in oil, base metals and other industrial commodities. The countries listed above are the ones we were net importers from in dollar terms. So, we imported $20B more from China than they bought from us. Yes virginia, 5 times what we imported net from Opec. At least they buy drilling equipment, arms and technology. The only thing China imports from us is treasuries. Mainland China's holding of US Treasuries are about $745B, and Honk Kong is another $70B or so. For perspective, that makes them the 3rd largest holder of treasuries behind Mutual funds at $770B and the Federal Reserve and Intragovernmental holdings at $4.8T (or so we think- the Fed can basically just make that number up)

And, no, it's not sustainable. If they let their currency float freely it would triple in value, the competitiveness of their exports would drop commensurately and their economy would collapse. They'd actually have to..gasp...import something that was made somewhere else-like the rest of us. Not an opinion here, but rather econ 101. If it only were "free trade" then there would be no reason to quibble. But the primary reason these hobby products are not made in Mexico, India, Indonesia, or any number of other low wage countries that have a relatively high degree of industrial sophistication is that those countries have freely floating, exchangeable currencies.

Welcome to the new cold war. The US is by no means the only country damaged by the Chinese currency ploy. I could go on, as we clearly live in "interesting times."

I'm not going to begrudge anybody cheap outrunners and lipos. But you and I are talking big picture. It can't go forever so, I say, stock up while you can. I noticed that they recently proposed a new world wide currency. Think about that for a second. There's not country in the world, OPEC included that's going to fall for that! It's just a ploy to exchange their IOU's collected from the world's nations into something that actually has an exchange value, without ever having to suffer the consequences raising their currency to a equilibrium level. Big stuff comin', I say, and it probably ain't good.
TMO is offline Find More Posts by TMO
Last edited by TMO; Mar 26, 2009 at 08:43 AM.
Old Mar 26, 2009, 08:15 PM
Joined Nov 2005
25,315 Posts
TMO,

Thanks for the very infomative post. I learn something new everyday here on RCG.

It sure would be nice to see those dollar figures we send to companies like Hobby City each month. I bet the amounts would be surprising.

Frank
Old Mar 26, 2009, 08:59 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2007
4,497 Posts
TMO

Interesting, thank you for replying.

Dave
eagle777 is offline Find More Posts by eagle777
Old Apr 07, 2009, 06:55 PM
Joined Nov 2005
25,315 Posts
I sure would like to see those dollar sales totals that we spend at HC each month. Crash331, you still out there?

Thanks,

Frank
Old Apr 08, 2009, 09:45 AM
Master Of The Crash
Vass, North Carolina
Joined Jan 2009
108 Posts
Money To Burn???????

I placed an order with Red Rocket Hobbies for A new Hobbyzone Mini Super Cub. Great deal $94.00 with free shipping. I wanted an extra Lipo to go with it. How much does a 2s1p 300 lipo weigh. maybe 3 onuces, but it didn't qualify for free shipping, so when I went to checkout it wanted to charge me $13.95 for shipping So I call Red Rocket and asked them why the shipping was so much for a little Lipo. They said they could adjust the shipping some. Heck, I figured they could just throw the lipo in the box with the airplane and give me free shipping. I didn't order the lipo. I have to troll for the cheapest prices I can find, I'm on a fixed income, but still have 3 sons, whom I have to feed & clothe. Plus all the other bills. Even with shipping, I can buy 2 Lipo's with a higher rating from hobbycity, for the same price. Before I got hurt, fell while working on Motor Grader and broke my back, I could work overtime, to fund my hobby, and I bought as much as I could from the LHS. I still buy from them. Hayes Hobby House in Fayetteville, NC. They are great. Mrs. Hayes & her son Alan are truly nice people to deal with. They don't stock many kits anymore, & I like to build, bu most of my kits from Tower or manufactures such as Dare, Top Notch, Mountain Models, ect, but Alan told me don't many people build anymore. They have a nice selection of Hanger 9 ARF's, and consumables. The only problem is they are 40 miles from my house.
Big Johnny is offline Find More Posts by Big Johnny
Old Apr 14, 2009, 08:07 PM
Joined Nov 2005
25,315 Posts
I heard this on RCFlightCast.com.

Check out what Google Trends shows for Hobby City.

http://www.google.com/trends?q=Hobby...o=all&date=all

Frank