SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Feb 04, 2009, 01:57 PM
Ochroma pyramidale
Balsa Wood's Avatar
Balsa Wood, N.J.
Joined Feb 2009
13 Posts
Action Hobby in PA just bit the dust.

From their website

ACTION HOBBY
1236 E Lincoln HWY, Langhorne PA 19047
(215) 757-9750 -or- (215) 757-9751
Monday->Friday:10am -> 8pm; Saturday 10am - 5pm;
Sunday 11am - 4pm

Action Hobby is Quitting Business!


Quitting Business Sale!

We want you to know that we have decided to liquidate and close the store. The QUITTING BUSINESS SALE will start at once to sell out our entire inventory of scale models, RC Planes, Boats, Trucks & Cars, scale trains, plastic models, art supplies, modeling supplies, paint, scale engines, accessories and much much more. Every price will be cut for this gigantic storewide event - Even the fixtures and equipment are for sale.



This will be the largest sale in the history of the store...and the last!
The store hours are Monday through Friday from 10:00am. to 8:00pm., Saturday from 10:00am to 6pm. and Sunday from 11:00am. to 4:00pm.



All sales are final.


Domain Names www.Actionhobby.net and www.actionhobby.com are also for sale.
Balsa Wood is offline Find More Posts by Balsa Wood
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 04, 2009, 03:46 PM
Registered User
Houston Texas
Joined May 2008
763 Posts
I only see adults in the LHS. Where are the kids? I guess they're at soccer practice or piano lesson or in the house playing Xbox. Parents don't encourage modeling anymore. When I was a kid, the LHS was full of kids. We buy there because for a kid it was a lot easier than mail order, and rc cars and airplanes were considered cool. I don't think internet vendors are to blame for the decline of LHS. Kids don't see rc airplanes/cars/boats as cool hobbies like we used to. They're more interested in Shaq, Kobe, Playstation, and Xbox, nowadays. LHS can't survive on adults' business only because adults are savvy, they know prices are better on the internet. LHS are doomed, unless our culture will change. Until we make science and engineering cool again and in place of sports and video games, LHS has no chance of making a come back.
edragon is offline Find More Posts by edragon
Last edited by edragon; Feb 04, 2009 at 03:58 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 04, 2009, 04:00 PM
Retardedly intelligent
foam and tape's Avatar
beavercreek,ohio
Joined Jan 2007
3,854 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by edragon
I only see adults in the LHS. Where are the kids? I guess they're at soccer practice or piano lesson or in the house playing Xbox. Parents don't encourage modeling anymore. When I was a kid, the LHS was full of kids. We buy there because for a kid it was a lot easier than mail order. I don't think internet vendors are to blame for the decline of LHS. Kids don't see rc airplanes/cars/boats as cool hobbies like we used to. They're more interested in Shaq, Kobe, Playstation, and Xbox, nowadays. LHS can't survive on adults' business only because adults are savvy, they know prices are better on the internet. LHS are doomed, unless our culture will change. Until we make science and engineering cool again and in place of sports and video games, LHS has no chance of making a come back.

I think RC is still cool i'm 17 and my brother is 13 I still support my LHS but not as much due to the ''good'' emloyeess (the ones who helped me start) are gone the actual owner of the hobby shop is a dumb
foam and tape is online now Find More Posts by foam and tape
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 04, 2009, 06:19 PM
RCAPA #005
MGBGTRacer's Avatar
USA, VT, Springfield
Joined Jan 2004
3,858 Posts
Yeah, it's easier to 'fly' a plane or pretend to race a car on a video game- and cheaper too. On top of that, you don't have to bother to stand up or go outside.
It's the same way in the "real" car biz- almost nobody knows anything about cars anymore. When I was a kid, we could tell every year, make and model of car. Aside from most modern cars all looking the same, it's not 'cool' to know anything about them or tinker with them.
MGBGTRacer is offline Find More Posts by MGBGTRacer
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 04, 2009, 10:11 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2007
4,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGBGTRacer
Yeah, it's easier to 'fly' a plane or pretend to race a car on a video game- and cheaper too. On top of that, you don't have to bother to stand up or go outside.
It's the same way in the "real" car biz- almost nobody knows anything about cars anymore. When I was a kid, we could tell every year, make and model of car. Aside from most modern cars all looking the same, it's not 'cool' to know anything about them or tinker with them.
They all seem kind of homogenized. Most times I can't tell an Acura from a Toyota or a Nissan, even Mercedes SUVs look like Nissan. Model years are kind of hazy too - Around 1994 to 1999? About 2002 to 2006?
eagle777 is offline Find More Posts by eagle777
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 05, 2009, 12:04 AM
Registered User
Houston Texas
Joined May 2008
763 Posts
I was watching "The French Connection." I guess it's from the 70's. The cars back then were beautiful--chrome trims, long hood and trunk, comfortable looking. What happened? Most cars nowadays look like jelly beans.
edragon is offline Find More Posts by edragon
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 05, 2009, 03:19 AM
old pilot
Ickarusmelt's Avatar
Rapid City SD
Joined Dec 2007
3,822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by edragon
I was watching "The French Connection." I guess it's from the 70's. The cars back then were beautiful--chrome trims, long hood and trunk, comfortable looking. What happened? Most cars nowadays look like jelly beans.
Not always Have to admit customizing included bloody knuckles and profanity. Icky
Ickarusmelt is offline Find More Posts by Ickarusmelt
Last edited by Ickarusmelt; Feb 05, 2009 at 03:26 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 05, 2009, 03:39 AM
Registered User
galston
Joined Jul 2008
34 Posts
when you buy offline your stuffing up LHS and there family life, where are you going to get the answers about the product, how it works and if it breaks it alot easyer to refund to a hobby shop and even advice on what you should do. if they dont have the thing you want try another shop befoe you look online, they is way to many brands to stock in one shop and the person behid the counter cant keep everyone happy but they are always trying. i have never brought anything offline because i just cant ask question about it, look at, touch and sometimes test it.

i would sugested going for that drive to the LHS before you look online its not that hard to do.

i would not of been where i am today with out the LOCAL HOBBY SHOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!
rattyboy is offline Find More Posts by rattyboy
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 05, 2009, 07:14 AM
atlav8r's Avatar
Cumming Ga
Joined Apr 2002
2,894 Posts
Hum...
I guess that is why our repeated letters requesting payment for outstanding invoices have gone unanswered.
CW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balsa Wood
Action Hobby in PA just bit the dust.

From their website

ACTION HOBBY
1236 E Lincoln HWY, Langhorne PA 19047
(215) 757-9750 -or- (215) 757-9751
Monday->Friday:10am -> 8pm; Saturday 10am - 5pm;
Sunday 11am - 4pm

Action Hobby is Quitting Business!


Quitting Business Sale!

We want you to know that we have decided to liquidate and close the store. The QUITTING BUSINESS SALE will start at once to sell out our entire inventory of scale models, RC Planes, Boats, Trucks & Cars, scale trains, plastic models, art supplies, modeling supplies, paint, scale engines, accessories and much much more. Every price will be cut for this gigantic storewide event - Even the fixtures and equipment are for sale.

This will be the largest sale in the history of the store...and the last!
The store hours are Monday through Friday from 10:00am. to 8:00pm., Saturday from 10:00am to 6pm. and Sunday from 11:00am. to 4:00pm.

All sales are final.

Domain Names www.Actionhobby.net and www.actionhobby.com are also for sale.
atlav8r is offline Find More Posts by atlav8r
Site Sponsor
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 05, 2009, 09:52 AM
ODB VI September 2014
1987tc's Avatar
United States, OK, Weleetka
Joined Dec 2000
8,523 Posts
Any LHS near Weleetka ok?

Ok with all the obits here for hobby shops can anyone point me to one near Weleetka Oklahoma?
We are near Hneryetta. I know there are some in Tulsa and Oklahoma city. But something closer would be helpful!
Wes
1987tc is offline Find More Posts by 1987tc
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New Club in Oklahoma forming.
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 05, 2009, 10:35 AM
RCAPA #005
MGBGTRacer's Avatar
USA, VT, Springfield
Joined Jan 2004
3,858 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ickarusmelt
Not always Have to admit customizing included bloody knuckles and profanity. Icky
A Prowler with flame stickers or paint isn't really a "custom"
MGBGTRacer is offline Find More Posts by MGBGTRacer
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 05, 2009, 07:58 PM
old pilot
Ickarusmelt's Avatar
Rapid City SD
Joined Dec 2007
3,822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGBGTRacer
A Prowler with flame stickers or paint isn't really a "custom"
A lot of folks don't know what a stock Prowler looks like anymore. What would you call one with no bumpers, one off front side panels and turn signal lights, one off rear belly pan with bumperettes, and all running gear (like spindles, A arms, calipers etc) fully chromed?
Ickarusmelt is offline Find More Posts by Ickarusmelt
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 05, 2009, 08:08 PM
RCAPA #005
MGBGTRacer's Avatar
USA, VT, Springfield
Joined Jan 2004
3,858 Posts
Sure don't see many Prowlers anymore. It surely has been customized, then.
MGBGTRacer is offline Find More Posts by MGBGTRacer
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 08, 2009, 05:17 AM
Promoting Model Aviation...
Murocflyer's Avatar
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
24,884 Posts
And another one, unfortunately, gets added to the ever growing list.

Model Electronics Corp (MEC)

http://www.modelelectronicscorp.com/

Frank
Murocflyer is offline Find More Posts by Murocflyer
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 08, 2009, 07:39 PM
Registered User
Joined Aug 2007
86 Posts
Another one bites the dust...

Quote:
Originally Posted by murocflyer
This thread has got me wondering. How many LHS or online stores have you seen go under?

I know of:

LittleBirdz (kitter of some fine airplanes)

NastyToes Aviation (made foam parts for airplanes)

LHS called Stream Hobbies in my area.

I'm sure I can recall some more. It's sad to see.

Anyone esle know of some others?

Frank

Yep. The Austin area just lost another LHS. Round Rock Hobbies just announced their closure last week. They will be missed.

Dewey
Dewey Parker is offline Find More Posts by Dewey Parker
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question R/C stores in Florida, St Petersburg and Orlando skogsvargen UAV - Unmanned Aerial Vehicles 3 Jun 08, 2007 07:19 PM
Discussion R/C stores in Libertyville neniwein Sailplane Talk 1 Jul 06, 2006 07:02 PM
Sold FS eBay: "The R/C Engine" by Clarence Lee, orig. 1971 publication green66 Aircraft - Fuel - Airplanes (FS/W) 0 May 21, 2005 07:00 PM
r/c stores or Flying sites in Sydney YZYgold Electric Plane Talk 15 Dec 15, 2003 12:24 AM
It's the R/C plane favored by international R/C champions for training! Peter Khor Humor 11 Aug 24, 2003 07:11 PM