HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 31, 2009, 09:27 PM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
24,918 Posts
It doesn't have to be. Some are great and give great advice. It all depends on the store.

Frank

PS I do know one thing though, if we continue sending our money directly to China, none of these places will be around when we need them.
Murocflyer is offline Find More Posts by Murocflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2009, 09:31 PM
Speed cost money.
United States, FL, Marathon
Joined Dec 2002
3,044 Posts
The hobbyshop next to me is going out of business. 2 more weeks and it will be gone.

highflier
highflier is offline Find More Posts by highflier
Old Jan 31, 2009, 09:48 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2007
4,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by murocflyer
It doesn't have to be. Some are great and give great advice. It all depends on the store.

Frank

PS I do know one thing though, if we continue sending our money directly to China, none of these places will be around when we need them.
I could go on at length about most items being made offshore while the prices remain the same for people in the US
e.g. (K2 ski manufacturing, about 20 miles from me
( http://www.allbusiness.com/retail-tr...4252980-1.html )

Yet we still pay the same amount with inflation ($900 Chinese skis???)

I know you want to keep money here (I do too), but if flows to China whether you want it to or not. By buying at Hobbyking, you are cutting out the middleman. If the LHS wants to stay in biz, they should buy from Hobbyking and mark up 20%
eagle777 is offline Find More Posts by eagle777
Old Jan 31, 2009, 09:57 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2007
4,497 Posts
The point is, is why should I pay $100 at the LHS for a Thunder Power pack when Thunder Power bought the same pack from the same factory that HobbyCity buys it from, then mark it up 300 or 400%? To keep my LHS?

Edit: On advice, I'll state that I don't know the source of Thunder Power batteries. They may be made in the U.S.
Last edited by eagle777; Jan 31, 2009 at 11:14 PM.
Old Jan 31, 2009, 11:06 PM
Retardedly intelligent
beavercreek,ohio
Joined Jan 2007
3,854 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle777
If the LHS wants to stay in biz, they should buy from Hobbyking and mark up 20%

MY LHS does that, they mark up the price by 150% though ripoffs hextronik 9 gram servos for 11.99 Hobby king price 3.50

of course I stopped buying from them, I only buy the essentials. I decided to do more buisness at Radical RC they carry more name brand stuff
foam and tape is online now Find More Posts by foam and tape
Old Jan 31, 2009, 11:17 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2007
4,497 Posts
I think a brick and mortar hobby shop could make quite a bit of money just by buying motors, ESCs and batteries from Hobbycity initially, then finding better sources. (while charging just a 40% markup)

It would sure be a refreshing change from the same ol' monopolies.
Old Feb 01, 2009, 12:03 AM
Central Texas
Joined Jun 2008
4,147 Posts
The local hobby shop here in Roundrock TX just had a 35% off sale this weekend. Shut the doors at 8pm tonight never to open again.
ambientech is offline Find More Posts by ambientech
Old Feb 01, 2009, 04:39 AM
Ochroma pyramidale
Balsa Wood, N.J.
Joined Feb 2009
13 Posts
Walt's Hobby Shop in Brooklyn N.Y. closed down a while ago.
Balsa Wood is offline Find More Posts by Balsa Wood
Old Feb 01, 2009, 05:24 AM
No Wind
Long Island
Joined Jul 2006
292 Posts
On Long Island, NY, I used to frequent Polk Hobbies and Larry's.
Polks was in East Meadow and Larry's in East Northport.
I remember when Larry had started his store out of his basement.
Larry's store is still around, but its not the same.
Sold out many years ago.
65Chevelle is offline Find More Posts by 65Chevelle
Old Feb 01, 2009, 10:41 AM
RCAPA #005
USA, VT, Springfield
Joined Jan 2004
3,858 Posts
So they should pay shipping, put parts in stock and wait for you to buy them and not charge for their time and space etc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by foam and tape
MY LHS does that, they mark up the price by 150% though ripoffs hextronik 9 gram servos for 11.99 Hobby king price 3.50

of course I stopped buying from them, I only buy the essentials. I decided to do more buisness at Radical RC they carry more name brand stuff
MGBGTRacer is offline Find More Posts by MGBGTRacer
Old Feb 01, 2009, 10:55 AM
Retardedly intelligent
beavercreek,ohio
Joined Jan 2007
3,854 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGBGTRacer
So they should pay shipping, put parts in stock and wait for you to buy them and not charge for their time and space etc?

the price is still VERY steep I don't buy anything hobbycity from them. I only buy the selection of ''name brand'' stuff from them I'll let some one sucker themselves

BTW they charge 20.00 for a peice of 18x36 of 6mm depron

lukes RC (theyre also a brick and mortar hobbyshop) only charges 4.99 for the same size of depron
foam and tape is online now Find More Posts by foam and tape
Old Feb 01, 2009, 04:43 PM
RCAPA #005
USA, VT, Springfield
Joined Jan 2004
3,858 Posts
I don't buy the no-name stuff, but if I need a cheap servo and could get one instantly and locally for about ten bucks- that's cool by me. You pay a little more, but you can take it back if it breaks or is defective, you can touch it, look at it, get some advice on it and not have to violate federal law by having some chinese company mail it to you with "gift" on the customs sticker. You do realize you're supposed to report and pay taxes on imported goods, right?
Anyway- it's a service they provide and it's worth something. Waiting two weeks to save a couple bucks and then add the risk of return postage to China? No thanks.
I wait for REAL stores to have sales and then I stock up.
Another neat thing is if the LHS has a way overpriced item, you can talk to them about it- maybe they'll work with you on it. It's all how you do it though, you don't start out with "you guys suck- your stuff is overpriced." Use some tact. It has worked EVERY time for me when a shop had something I wanted and their price wasn't what I was looking for.
MGBGTRacer is offline Find More Posts by MGBGTRacer
Old Feb 03, 2009, 08:16 AM
Pflugerville (Austin), TX
Joined Jan 2006
141 Posts
Round rock hobbies closed??????? I was just in there the other day............

Quote:
Originally Posted by chribrian
The local hobby shop here in Roundrock TX just had a 35% off sale this weekend. Shut the doors at 8pm tonight never to open again.
Pflyinguy is offline Find More Posts by Pflyinguy
Old Feb 03, 2009, 08:33 AM
No meat = no pudding
Machesney Park, IL
Joined Jul 2008
1,430 Posts
We're kind of lucky in Rockford, IL. The HobbyTown USA is run by some pretty intelligent RC enthusiasts who seem to understand that they're competing with the online stores, etc. On batteries and a few other items, I can sometimes find items online a little bit less expensive online, but with shipping it usually works out to be about the same. But I choose to purchase from them because they're always very helpful if I need assistance understanding something, getting good advice, etc and I like supporting my local economy.

As with a lot of market-sectors, it's all about the level of service. Good service and fair prices=success. Our LHS seems to get that.
brwilkins is offline Find More Posts by brwilkins
Old Feb 03, 2009, 10:45 AM
Balsa just crashes better
Bradenton, FL
Joined Nov 2004
599 Posts
Being a LHS is a tough road to hoe- The big distributors you buy from ( except Horizon) all have retail outlets which sell things with big discounts- So the airplane you bought from Great Planes shows up on Towers site at a retail price less than you paid wholesale for it. Horizon does not reduce it prices on their web site sales - but put through a huge price increase of 40 to 60% which makes them pretty expensive at a time when everyone is trying to save money and losing there jobs.
Retail is in real trouble in our country right now and mom and pop operations are paying the price.
I really miss the good old days about now

Cub Fan
Cub Fan is offline Find More Posts by Cub Fan