SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 22, 2009, 05:43 PM
RCAPA #005
USA, VT, Springfield
Joined Jan 2004
3,858 Posts
Planes going down left and right before 2.4? Please...
MGBGTRacer is offline Find More Posts by MGBGTRacer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 22, 2009, 05:46 PM
Wind blows
Minneapolis
Joined Jan 2007
2,896 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGBGTRacer
Planes going down left and right before 2.4? Please...
Yes. Helmets were required at most clubs for anyone within 1/4 mile of the flight line. Dumpsters were set up nearby to dispose of all the balsa and they had to be emptied daily.
Laggard is offline Find More Posts by Laggard
Old Jan 22, 2009, 05:54 PM
Frequent Flyer
Kalamazoo, MI USA
Joined Aug 2003
2,892 Posts
This one will bring back memories for some who have been here for a while:

eHobby-rc

wattsup_kz is offline Find More Posts by wattsup_kz
Old Jan 22, 2009, 06:53 PM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
25,101 Posts
Oh yea, forgot about that one. Although I really don't think that one ever got off to a good start. He was having problems right off the bat.

And I still can't believe people even bought things from him.

Frank
Murocflyer is offline Find More Posts by Murocflyer
Old Jan 22, 2009, 07:03 PM
United States, NJ, Manchester Township
Joined Dec 2000
1,058 Posts
"It's Spektrum's fault."

No, it is the flight simulators fault. That's why so many young fliers are putting us old duffers to shame. And the ARF's are killing the Hobby Shops for they don't make money on them. They make money on the parts that make up the plane.
Dorme is offline Find More Posts by Dorme
Old Jan 22, 2009, 07:49 PM
Nothing like a good WOODIE!
USA, DE, Newark
Joined Jun 2005
1,662 Posts
I guess I'm fortunate to have a LHS thats slowly moving from mainstream RC cars to airplanes and helis. A year ago I would go in occasionally and spend a couple of bucks but lately he has a 10% off deal for club members and his pricing usually matches mailorder. That 10% makes it worth the 20 minute drive even if he doesnt have what you want in stock because he'll order just about anything you need. The wait time is the same as if I ordered but theres no shipping costs.
Except for cottage industry purchases I now do all my shopping in the LHS because I know if he goes away my cost will go up!

cooper998
cooper998 is offline Find More Posts by cooper998
Old Jan 22, 2009, 08:34 PM
Pacific Beach, CA
Joined Sep 2000
173 Posts
Dymond Modelsports closed it's doors in San Diego. Nice shop, too. Darn it.
wouldy is offline Find More Posts by wouldy
Old Jan 22, 2009, 08:38 PM
United States, NJ, Manchester Township
Joined Dec 2000
1,058 Posts
"I guess I'm fortunate to have a LHS thats slowly moving from mainstream RC cars to airplanes and helis. A year ago I would go in occasionally and spend a couple of bucks but lately he has a 10% off deal for club members and his pricing usually matches mailorder. That 10% makes it worth the 20 minute drive even if he doesnt have what you want in stock because he'll order just about anything you need. The wait time is the same as if I ordered but theres no shipping costs.
Except for cottage industry purchases I now do all my shopping in the LHS because I know if he goes away my cost will go up!
"

And further on the plus side, you will meet new people and get new skills from their experience and give it back to others.
Dorme is offline Find More Posts by Dorme
Old Jan 22, 2009, 09:32 PM
Wind blows
Minneapolis
Joined Jan 2007
2,896 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wouldy
Dymond Modelsports closed it's doors in San Diego. Nice shop, too. Darn it.
Wasn't that run by that dude that was threatening to sue everyone in sight for some reason? Helmut? Was going to sue TP and Castle Creations?

http://fastrc.blogspot.com/2008/01/boycott-dymond.html
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=787356
Laggard is offline Find More Posts by Laggard
Last edited by Laggard; Jan 22, 2009 at 09:40 PM.
Old Jan 23, 2009, 06:00 AM
Go Navy!
USA, PA, Media
Joined Apr 2005
905 Posts
Its rather surprising, I do not have any good shops nearby. I really like ordering off the net as it is very cheap with great selection, but it kills me to spend more on shipping than the one little pice I need (i needed a xtal a while back, nothing else, for example). But when the local shops charge more than the component and shipping off the net, whats the point.

With the price off of sites like hobby city, i am also expecting a lot of internet resellers dissapearing. I would prefer to buy from a US shop and a us product, but when the chinese make and sell stuff cheap, well, i have to look out for my wallet...
maverick06 is offline Find More Posts by maverick06
Old Jan 23, 2009, 11:10 PM
Pacific Beach, CA
Joined Sep 2000
173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laggard
Wasn't that run by that dude that was threatening to sue everyone in sight for some reason? Helmut? Was going to sue TP and Castle Creations?

http://fastrc.blogspot.com/2008/01/boycott-dymond.html
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=787356
Yeah, that was the guy. Still was a good shop, though. He stocked all the bits and pieces.
wouldy is offline Find More Posts by wouldy
Old Jan 24, 2009, 12:07 AM
RCAPA #005
USA, VT, Springfield
Joined Jan 2004
3,858 Posts
just goes to show a good shop run by... um, well... someone like him... will still fail. You have to have more than just parts, you have to not be an .... um... like him.
MGBGTRacer is offline Find More Posts by MGBGTRacer
Old Jan 24, 2009, 12:27 AM
I'm a Registered User
Evansville, WI
Joined Dec 2006
3,689 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick06
, but when the chinese make and sell stuff cheap, well, i have to look out for my wallet...
Not only is it cheap, the quality is steadily improving. Sure, there is still junk out there, but often a cheap chinese motor will perform just as well as it's higher priced counterpart(half the time, it's the exact same part with a different label)
Bugman Jeff is offline Find More Posts by Bugman Jeff
Old Jan 24, 2009, 02:48 AM
old pilot
Rapid City SD
Joined Dec 2007
3,822 Posts
Lots of LHSs are going belly up, because they don't pay attention to details, don't pay attention to their customers and just try to play the market to make a profit. There is a sorting out going on and the good LHSs will make it.

Our LHS is doing well because the owner pays attention to quality and service. He sells lots of the new Chinese stuff, but does his homework and supplies only the quality stuff. Good LHS personal customer service always beats the online competition.

Icky
Ickarusmelt is offline Find More Posts by Ickarusmelt
Old Jan 24, 2009, 03:57 PM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
25,101 Posts
How about Custom CDR? I thought they went out of business? Or was it Little Screamers?

Gotta do some searching...

Frank
Murocflyer is offline Find More Posts by Murocflyer