SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 11, 2008, 04:51 PM
Balsa to the Wall
Deep in the East Texas Piney Woods
Joined Dec 2001
4,603 Posts
I can't say enough about my LHS, Wings & Wheels in Tyler, TX. Gene and Chris are great people, and will order almost anything you want. It's a very small shop, but they have a great selection of stuff for Air and Surface. I always go to them first before I order elsewhere. They match Tower and beat HH by 10%.

We also have a HTUSA, but they aren't too friendly, and hey're higher on their stuff.

Chuck
Chuck is offline Find More Posts by Chuck
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 11, 2008, 06:37 PM
United States, VA, Chesterfield
Joined Mar 2001
5,407 Posts
I remember these Hobby Shops in the DC area that have closed.

Arlington Hobbycrafters
Red's Hobby Shop
Burtonsville
Grandad's
Coors

The last 18 years I have lived in Richmond, VA area and 3 have closed here--two in the last year.
Pat Daily is offline Find More Posts by Pat Daily
Old Nov 11, 2008, 07:13 PM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
25,448 Posts
Pat,

Any must go to LHS's in your area that I need to check out? Those are probably closer to me than Debbie's.

Thanks,

Frank
Murocflyer is offline Find More Posts by Murocflyer
Old Jan 02, 2009, 09:39 AM
Joined Nov 2005
25,448 Posts
In my search for American made RC goods I found another that has gone by the wayside.

LensRC http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=497001

Frank
Old Jan 21, 2009, 04:50 PM
Joined Nov 2005
25,448 Posts
I guess we can add RC Reports to the list.

Frank
Old Jan 21, 2009, 08:29 PM
old pilot
Rapid City SD
Joined Dec 2007
3,822 Posts
Internet suppliers are cutting into LHS RC suppliers around the country, but a well run LHS can do fine. We do our best to support ours.

We are so lucky to have a great one, Who's Hobby Shop, in RC, SD. It's been in a family of plane and RC addicts for 50 years, and they stock everything for guys in western SD, and parts of MT, WY and NE. They provide everything you may need and do their best to match internet prices. Their personal attention to helping everyone from newbies to experts with good info and equipment is extremely valuable and worth the drive.

Icky
Ickarusmelt is offline Find More Posts by Ickarusmelt
Old Jan 21, 2009, 08:49 PM
Balsa to the Wall
Deep in the East Texas Piney Woods
Joined Dec 2001
4,603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ickarusmelt
Internet suppliers are cutting into LHS RC suppliers around the country, but a well run LHS can do fine. We do our best to support ours.

We are so lucky to have a great one, Who's Hobby Shop, in RC, SD. It's been in a family of plane and RC addicts for 50 years, and they stock everything for guys in western SD, and parts of MT, WY and NE. They provide everything you may need and do their best to match internet prices. Their personal attention to helping everyone from newbies to experts with good info and equipment is extremely valuable and worth the drive.

Icky
Rapid City SD - I spent about 20 years in Wall, SD, back in 1955. One of my classmates was the son of the owner of the Wall Drug Store. Are they still in business?

I don't remember the wind ever not blowing. And boy was it cold.

Chuck
Chuck is offline Find More Posts by Chuck
Old Jan 21, 2009, 09:47 PM
Brett
So Cal
Joined Apr 2002
5,311 Posts
I live in the Conejo Valley....an area in Southern California just north of Los Angeles. In the time I've lived here (on and off since around 1980), I've seen probably 5 or 6 hobby shops come and go.

I don't think a single one lasted more then a year or two...except one...Marty's Hobbies in Thousand Oaks. It's been here since I can remember, and it's still around. They have great service, they usually match online prices, they and seem to get along well with the big distributers. Its seems the opposite of every LHS story I hear. Not sure what their secret is, but it works.
bjaffee is offline Find More Posts by bjaffee
Old Jan 21, 2009, 10:21 PM
Joined Mar 2006
927 Posts
American Hobby, the last hobby store in Manhattan
American Ribbon in Stroudsburg PA closed their hobby shop, making Trains and Lanes in Easton the next closest.
Will Rock is offline Find More Posts by Will Rock
Old Jan 22, 2009, 02:10 AM
old pilot
Rapid City SD
Joined Dec 2007
3,822 Posts
Hi, Chuck

Wall Drug in Wall, SD is still going really strong .

Guys in a local 50yr old club with their field out east on the prairie near New Underwood, SD (between Rapid City and Wall) have the RC wind flying spirit. We visited on their traditional New Years Day flyin (didn't bring our planes because wind sock was straight out). Froze our newbie butts. The guys did fine with fuel and electrics. Clancy, current owner of our 50yr old LHS had me hand launch his stock PZ Corsair into that wind (spooky ) and he got it to hover level and do rolls in one place, lots of other stuff and then land on the grass with no slide.

So nice to have LHS owner who really knows RC

Icky
Ickarusmelt is offline Find More Posts by Ickarusmelt
Old Jan 22, 2009, 06:32 AM
USA, CA, Mountain View
Joined Dec 2007
933 Posts
Wall Drug brings back memories of making the family cross country trip back in 1977 with a Plymouth Gran Fury seeing Wall Drug signs for miles and miles. My brother and I liked the dinosaur.
7rider is offline Find More Posts by 7rider
Old Jan 22, 2009, 12:35 PM
United States, NJ, Manchester Township
Joined Dec 2000
1,058 Posts
When I visited my son in St. Louis last year we went to the Mark Twain Hobby Center in St. Charles, MO, and I can tell you that they are very complete, knowledgable, and their site is still up for shipping.
Wish we had a place that that in the Northeast. RCBuyer's come close, though.
Dorme is offline Find More Posts by Dorme
Old Jan 22, 2009, 03:16 PM
Nebraska
Joined Dec 2007
442 Posts
On a positive note, we have a huge HobbyTown USA here that is always busy when I go in.

It probably helps that their prices meet or beat internet pricing on things like the Super Cub, DX6i, etc., and that the staff is knowledgeable. I don't see this one going out of business any time soon.

Sometimes I worry about them closing their smaller store thats in my part of the city though...
zirconx is offline Find More Posts by zirconx
Old Jan 22, 2009, 05:17 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
25,215 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorme
...I can tell you that they are very complete, knowledgable, and their site is still up for shipping. Wish we had a place that that in the Northeast.
There is:

Trains & Lanes Hobbies
Easton, PA
610-253-8850

Everybody there does some sort of modeling, many cross over. There is always at least one car guy, one airplane guy, and one train guy there. They don't have a website but still do a lot of mail order.

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 22, 2009, 06:24 PM
Wind blows
Minneapolis
Joined Jan 2007
2,896 Posts
As I mentioned before, LHS are failing because of the introduction of 2.4 ghz radios. Before 2.4, planes went down left and right and shop owners made a great living because of this. However, planes now longer crash and thus fliers no longer need to buy replacement planes, parts, and materials to replace damaged parts.

It's Spektrum's fault.
Laggard is offline Find More Posts by Laggard
Last edited by Laggard; Jan 22, 2009 at 06:29 PM.