HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 12, 2010, 05:53 PM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
25,453 Posts
Sadly, Hoffman Motors need to be added to this thread.

http://www.hoffmanmagnetics.com/

Frank
Murocflyer is offline Find More Posts by Murocflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 17, 2010, 09:47 PM
Expo is built into my thumbs
USA, ID, Niter
Joined Jul 2008
4,506 Posts
Earl's Hobby Hangar in Logan Utah is closing up shop. The store was around for 20 years or more and had a pretty good selection of stuff. LR retired a year ago and Jeff took over as the new owner/manager. A year later they are out of business.
Hance is online now Find More Posts by Hance
Old Feb 18, 2010, 08:36 PM
Joined Nov 2005
25,453 Posts
Just saw this today. This is a biggie: http://www.ne-aero.com/

Frank
Old Feb 19, 2010, 01:13 AM
USA, FL, Orange Park
Joined Jan 2010
41 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas B View Post
The DFW area is doing OK, hobby shop wise. No significant hobby shop losses yet, but one or two are feeling some pain. We did lose a marginal Hobbytown USA a year ago, but it was not much of an RC shop to begin with. Our main LHS, Roy's Hobby Shop in Bedford is doing pretty well, actually.

LHS's have been dying steadily over the years, before the current economic woes. I travel a good bit for work and it was more common than not for a LHS that I had visited in the past in places like Dayton, Ohio, Springfield, VA, Atlanta, GA and elsewhere to not be there any more when I traveled there again.

I had actually been to Stream Hobbies in Va a few years back and they looked a little weak back then.

I buy from all sources, some on line, some local, some not local retailers when I travel and from individuals and from swap meets as well.
Is Wild Bill's still in business in Irving?
Or M.A.L.s also in Irving? If so they were both amazing places to visit in the early 80s for a kid in love with R/C.
I used to scratch build trainer type planes and trade them for store credit in Wild Bill's.

I once got a Sig Cougar Kit NIB, a couple rolls of MonoKote and a bottle of that amazing new CA for a .40 size low wing "stick" I built
He sold it off the counter and anything I brought in from then on was like cash.

There is Nothing, like a LHS. Support them when you can. Take your kids. Buy them a kite.
CharlieMike is offline Find More Posts by CharlieMike
Old Feb 19, 2010, 01:25 PM
globemaster
USA, CA, Cypress
Joined Jun 2008
1,463 Posts
I went to Vzla at the end of December to visit relatives and eat some great food ; before leaving I went to 3rd degree hobby shop (Garden Grove) and got some supplies for the building season.
Came back 3 weeks later only to find the store GONE!!!!
I AM UPSET, now I have to drive my truck 10+ miles to find a reliable hobby shop that carries everything I need.
Poor Mike, all the guys are missing his shop
nicoyenny is offline Find More Posts by nicoyenny
Old Feb 19, 2010, 02:15 PM
RCAPA #005
USA, VT, Springfield
Joined Jan 2004
3,858 Posts
10 miles! Whine whine whine..
I have to go to another STATE, almost 3 hours to a mediocre hobby shop.
MGBGTRacer is offline Find More Posts by MGBGTRacer
Old Feb 19, 2010, 04:01 PM
globemaster
USA, CA, Cypress
Joined Jun 2008
1,463 Posts
Guess I am spoiled!!!
I can feel your pain, I'd be in ICU if I had to drive 3 hours to find a hobby shop

BUT I AM STILL UPSET!!!
nicoyenny is offline Find More Posts by nicoyenny
Old Mar 12, 2010, 09:54 PM
Joined Nov 2005
25,453 Posts
Another sad one to report.

Polecat Aero

http://www.polecataero.com/

Frank
Old Mar 13, 2010, 07:04 AM
Joined Apr 2008
177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGBGTRacer View Post
We will adapt, but there's no denying that the American mindset is changing. People are less willing to pay for service and quality, they mostly now look at the bottom line. If that means pumpin money straight into China to save a few bucks, then fine. They'll call or visit a hobby shop, get the info they want- then go buy the item online.
People don't value service or support and are not willing to pay for it. I tend to try to buy everything locally from small businesses when I can, because I *do* value their experience and the fact that they will come to my rescue should I need them to.
For me if the service is good and you feel welcomed when you walk in, I will support your business. There is a Hobby Shop 5 mins away from me. But guess what, I would rather travel to another borough, pay toll, fight traffic and take my business there.Why? Because of the service. The guys there are friendly, down to earth and willing to help.
The hobby shop by my house, the guys look like they dont even want you in their store. And it wasnt always like that. Once ownership changed,so did the service.
Superem is offline Find More Posts by Superem
Old Mar 13, 2010, 12:42 PM
just Some Useless Geek
Chicagoland
Joined Oct 2008
2,543 Posts
Yeah, this is the same issue that we're all talking about. The LHS doesn't get my support just because it's the local hobby shop; it gets my support because it supports me right back.

Venture Hobbies in Wheeling, Illinois came to an end when the ownership changed, but Ad-Venture Hobbies (!) will carry on the tradition because it was just too valuable to lose. The good people stayed and the ones who weren't really interested moved on.
A Useless Geek is offline Find More Posts by A Useless Geek
Old Mar 13, 2010, 02:18 PM
United States, NJ, Frenchtown
Joined Mar 2003
9,272 Posts
It is impossible to make $80,000 CLEAR PROFIT a year in a large city or town anymore.At least in N J. How many Tiny Parts would you need to sell ? How many LIPOs would be so old at sale time the guy would be bringing it back as almost dead or risk overcharging it ?

Hobbytown is opening a shop in Flemington, N J. Lots of people that HAD money before the Depression. See how long it lasts without a inside Convience Store.

At 72 I have lived thru the best of hobby shops. Close the casket lid when I stop breathing.
cyclops2 is offline Find More Posts by cyclops2
Old Mar 15, 2010, 01:36 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
25,231 Posts
Where in Flemington? I know a lot of guys who have to travel to Easton from Clinton, Milford, etc. and Flemington would be a lot easier (no tolls to cross 78 or 22). My Dad is your age and he would probably visit a shop in Flemington when he takes his bike out (Goldwing) for a short "trip around the block."

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 15, 2010, 01:46 PM
United States, NJ, Manchester Township
Joined Dec 2000
1,058 Posts
I guess hobby stores are getting to be like aviation. If want to make a small fortune in that field, start out with a large one.
MGBGTRacer, do you know about RC Buyer's in Nashua, NH. They are biggest in the region and do shipping. Good bunch of people and very knowledgeable.
Dorme is offline Find More Posts by Dorme
Old Mar 15, 2010, 02:36 PM
United States, NJ, Frenchtown
Joined Mar 2003
9,272 Posts
Hi Andy

I really do not know. The wives all know it is comming. I guess a E MAIL to corporate would tell you when & where.
I try to support BP Hobbies & All E RC on the web. Trains & lanes is OK sometimes. They DO carry the little stuff. I support them as my local H S.
cyclops2 is offline Find More Posts by cyclops2
Old Mar 15, 2010, 03:31 PM
RCAPA #005
USA, VT, Springfield
Joined Jan 2004
3,858 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorme View Post
I guess hobby stores are getting to be like aviation. If want to make a small fortune in that field, start out with a large one.
MGBGTRacer, do you know about RC Buyer's in Nashua, NH. They are biggest in the region and do shipping. Good bunch of people and very knowledgeable.
That's a looong drive, but might be the closest to me... at only 2.5 hours. I'll check 'em out.
MGBGTRacer is offline Find More Posts by MGBGTRacer