HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 28, 2010, 07:36 PM
Addicted to flight since 1944
southern Florida
Joined Feb 2004
1,750 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
Depending on what you are planning for a power system, you might want to reconsider. Mine is powered by a fairly small Hobby Lobby SK400XT outrunner and a 1300 mAH 3S lipo, and a friend powered his with a Blue Wonder outrunner. It doesn't take much to fly this plane, as this maiden flight video will show.

This plane will climb under power (and torque roll left) as the video shows. I later added in switch-activated V-tail compensation (with two mixes) to eliminate both the climb and roll tendencies at high throttle settings.

The maiden video is a bit long, but documents another interesting "feature" of this plane. With no lipo on board, it will attempt to fly inverted, in spite of the dihedral and wing tip up-sweep!
Thanks for the heads up. I was going to use one of my Blue Wonders. Might be too much for the 38 inch one. I believe you need some more down thrust in your motor to avoid that strong nose up tendency under power. My large EPP Eagle, by Flyparty, took a lot more downthrust than I anticipated to fly fairly level under power.
rbrown3rd is offline Find More Posts by rbrown3rd
Last edited by rbrown3rd; Apr 28, 2010 at 08:01 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 28, 2010, 07:38 PM
PunchDrunk ex-Pug try'n fly'n
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Jan 2009
1,014 Posts
Quote:
....... 3M makes close to a dozen spray adhesives.... But they all are expensive compared to the alternatives. I can get two spray cans of the Elmer's brand for the price of one can of 3M77, and for laminating foam sheets, it's just fine.
<EDIT>
Cool, I'll look for it, or the earlier mentioned Aleene's.
The cheapest I've used was from Loe's in the "caulking gun" tube. I found it hard to spread thin enough and even enough.
jp
jp.electrik is offline Find More Posts by jp.electrik
Old Apr 28, 2010, 10:04 PM
September 2010
United States, OR, Lakeview
Joined Oct 2009
332 Posts
I have the wing done and ready to cut the ailerons but I was wondering where you folks were locating the CG on this bird. I am guessing that it should be on or very close to the spar? I used a 3/16" Carbon rod located as shown on the plans for the spar.

Just as a note, I am using the foam board from the Dollar Tree, the paper comes off very easy and it seems to be the same as the more expensive foam core boards once the paper is off.

I just ordered the HK 900 servos this morning, can't beat the price on those and the reviews seem to say they are a good little servo.

I think that I an going to mount a little Super Tiger 400 (950KV) with a 9 x 6 prop in the nose along with a 20 amp ESC and a 1300 mAh lipo. Sound about right?

I ramble, sorry long day...

Joe C.
Outback Joe is offline Find More Posts by Outback Joe
Old Apr 28, 2010, 10:48 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,454 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outback Joe View Post
I think that I an going to mount a little Super Tiger 400 (950KV) with a 9 x 6 prop in the nose along with a 20 amp ESC and a 1300 mAh lipo. Sound about right?

I ramble, sorry long day...

Joe C.
That motor will be a high powered version. It would fly well as a powered glider with the smaller ST 370, too. Depends on your flying style, but be careful on high G pull-outs with the larger motor... that's a lot of wing area with not a lot of strength. The motor on mine in the flight video I just linked is about the same kV (950) as the STs, but sized about midway (40 gms.) between the ST370 and ST400 motors, spinning a GWS 9x5DD prop with 1300 3S lipo.

BTW, did you build the wing flat with no polyhedral? That's going to adversely impact the stable soaring ability of the plane if I'm seeing things correctly in your picture.
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Last edited by Tom Frank; Apr 28, 2010 at 10:54 PM.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 08:46 AM
September 2010
Joined Oct 2009
332 Posts
Quote:
BTW, did you build the wing flat with no polyhedral? That's going to adversely impact the stable soaring ability of the plane if I'm seeing things correctly in your picture.
At this point the wing is flat but when I place the bottom reinforcements on it I will give it about 1" dihedral at each wing tip. I have done this before and the wing becomes very rigid in the mid section. I tried a hair drier on a scrap of foam and could not get it to curl like your wing tips. How hot do I need to get the foam to curl it?
Old May 01, 2010, 11:09 PM
September 2010
Joined Oct 2009
332 Posts
I have the wing almost ready to go on the plane and the fuse needs servos and the ESC mounted.
Old May 02, 2010, 06:54 AM
Joined Dec 2009
5 Posts
Heres another version with a KFm2 wing and + tail layout..There are no ailerons, and the wing has dihedral. This is powered with the BW motor.. it goes very nicely ..a pleasure to fly with its gentle flight
We had given it a go the previous day with a rewound BW motor, but it didnt have enough power..so we swapped to a new motor for another go.
heres the result... a flight of 35-40 mins..mostly too high for videoing...
video by davereap
richards birdy1.AVI (2 min 32 sec)
richard30 is offline Find More Posts by richard30
Last edited by richard30; May 02, 2010 at 06:59 AM.
Old May 02, 2010, 11:31 AM
Smoke me a Kipper
Cedar Grove North Carolina
Joined Oct 2006
1,212 Posts
nice tail layout
fritzdecat is offline Find More Posts by fritzdecat
Old May 10, 2010, 05:42 PM
Va.Beach VA.
Joined Aug 2007
2,115 Posts
Lee,

will the old falcon design ever be produced again?
G-LO is offline Find More Posts by G-LO
Old May 17, 2010, 12:21 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,011 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-LO View Post
Lee,

will the old falcon design ever be produced again?
Not sure. It isn't in the immediate plans. I was hoping to improve it. It's a little too advanced for most flyers. I have tried several prototypes trying to get a workable production model but I haven't found one that I like well enough to market yet.
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Old May 29, 2010, 11:28 PM
Va.Beach VA.
Joined Aug 2007
2,115 Posts
Well,

I gess we have to wish that Lee-one day- will market something like this.....I would love to know who produce such a fine product like this anywhere?!)

Halcon peregrino vitoria (3 min 11 sec)
Old May 30, 2010, 12:11 AM
When pigs fly rc
USA, NY, Chester
Joined Apr 2008
2,447 Posts
wow awesome bird
rcrich is offline Find More Posts by rcrich
Old May 30, 2010, 11:39 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,011 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-LO View Post
Well,

I gess we have to wish that Lee-one day- will market something like this.....I would love to know who produce such a fine product like this anywhere?!)

Halcon peregrino vitoria (3 min 11 sec)
Great looking plane!!

This wing is swept back which makes it more of a conventional flying wing which wouldn't be so hard to do.

Sweeping the wing forward makes it look better but difficult to balance and touchy on the stick. There are also problems with adding a motor and thrust angles. I still fly my EPP Peregrines. I think I have 4 or 5 of them and my eyes love to watch them and my hands like to fly them but they are to touchy for low hour fliers for beginners.

Lee
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Old May 30, 2010, 12:07 PM
Va.Beach VA.
Joined Aug 2007
2,115 Posts
Why don't you sale one of the old designs to me and I will know what you're talking about.

Will the old version be that hard to do? Can't you make them in limited numbers and then come out with your "New" designs?
Old May 31, 2010, 02:20 PM
PunchDrunk ex-Pug try'n fly'n
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Jan 2009
1,014 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
it. ...... It's a little too advanced for most flyers.....
.... I still fly my EPP Peregrines. I think I have 4 or 5 of them and my eyes love to watch them and my hands like to fly them but they are to touchy for low hour fliers for beginners..
Lee,not all of us are Beginners! I would love another of the original design, which you also love!
Sorry to be so insistent, but like G-Low i am most anxious to get another Falcon. Any variation would be very much appreciated!!
jp
PM me?
jp.electrik is offline Find More Posts by jp.electrik