southern Florida
Joined Feb 2004
1,750 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpage53 View Post
Try this:
Eagle rc Model (2 min 25 sec)

Rick.
Thanks. That is a great looking Eagle. Do you have any more info on it?
rbrown3rd is offline Find More Posts by rbrown3rd
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 25, 2010, 07:24 PM
Va.Beach VA.
Joined Aug 2007
2,128 Posts
Epp peregrine falcon videos

I was wondering if anyone out there that order Lees' falcons, made ANY videos of their flights other than Lee & I? I defintely saw the pictures that everyone had post.. I got them ALL. I looked all over YouTube with no results and I realize that Vimeo is where Lee posts his but I'm more a YouTube kindda guy. So far, it seems I'm the only one.... but that CAN change, HOPEFULLY it will because they are Beautiful planes. Aaand, the ONLY one so far, I think that produces a falcon plane without needing plans to make.

So, if anyone bought a falcon kit from Lee & son, Please post your Peregrine Falcon videos on YouTube IF you can, but, if you perfer another media carrier... hey that's great too! I don't want to have the only "Goofy" falcon video out in the World! How bout it Guys?!!
G-LO
G-LO is offline Find More Posts by G-LO
Old Jan 25, 2010, 10:45 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,049 Posts
I have been spending a lot of time lately on the Peregrine trying to get a kit back on the market. I wish I could announce that we are there or are close but I can't. I m not satisfied with the performance and flying characteristics of the swept forward wings. They tend to be very sensitive to CG and pitch. I want an EPP plane that flies like a trainer but really looks like a bird. I think you flat foamers are having a little more success than I am having. I'm persistent though and won't give up.

I love the Peregrines and was just counting and I have 6 of them plus 3 more prototypes. I have flown them at air shows and frequently with the club and on the slope.

Lee

Lee is online now Find More Posts by Lee
Last edited by Lee; Jan 26, 2010 at 02:47 PM.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 12:57 PM
Boffin
Victoria, BC, Canada
Joined Apr 2001
3,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrown3rd View Post
Thanks. That is a great looking Eagle. Do you have any more info on it?
He has a few videos of other birds and a B2 but I haven't found any posts. The date on the video is 1996.
http://www.youtube.com/user/leonardodaridis

On Youtube his name is leontaridis (Athanasios Leontaridis, Vosporou 61, 171 24 Nea Smirni, Nea Smirni, Attiki, GR) and he lists this as his website if anyone can read Greek:
http://cal.gr/

Any week now, I'll have eagles and vultures soaring over my house on their way north, but the peak migration is still months away.

Rick.
rpage53 is offline Find More Posts by rpage53
Last edited by rpage53; Jan 26, 2010 at 01:09 PM. Reason: More info
Old Jan 27, 2010, 04:12 AM
A real WingNut
United States, OK, Tulsa
Joined Dec 2008
920 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpage53 View Post
He has a few videos of other birds and a B2 but I haven't found any posts. The date on the video is 1996.
http://www.youtube.com/user/leonardodaridis

On Youtube his name is leontaridis (Athanasios Leontaridis, Vosporou 61, 171 24 Nea Smirni, Nea Smirni, Attiki, GR) and he lists this as his website if anyone can read Greek:
http://cal.gr/

Any week now, I'll have eagles and vultures soaring over my house on their way north, but the peak migration is still months away.

Rick.
try this: http://translate.google.com/translat...2F&sl=el&tl=en
Googletranslate works pretty good.
j4ck4 is offline Find More Posts by j4ck4
Old Jan 27, 2010, 07:55 AM
Va.Beach VA.
Joined Aug 2007
2,128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
I have been spending a lot of time lately on the Peregrine trying to get a kit back on the market. I wish I could announce that we are there or are close but I can't. I m not satisfied with the performance and flying characteristics of the swept forward wings. They tend to be very sensitive to CG and pitch. I want an EPP plane that flies like a trainer but really looks like a bird. I think you flat foamers are having a little more success than I am having. I'm persistent though and won't give up.

I love the Peregrines and was just counting and I have 6 of them plus 3 more prototypes. I have flown them at air shows and frequently with the club and on the slope.

Lee

Lee, thanks for not giving up. To tell you the Truth, if you would pick out your most realistic looking prototypes, I'll take that!! I'll bet you, I'll make it fly!! If anyone have any experience with swept-forward wings... like the ALULA etc., we'll do it justice. If I can make one of your falcons fly, anybody can. I may not have a "fighter jet" style of flying ( as you saw) but I will definitly make it soar like the real thing.
Last edited by G-LO; Jan 27, 2010 at 05:40 PM.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 08:11 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,049 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-LO View Post
Lee, thanks for not giving up. To tell you the Truth, if you would pick out your most realistic looking prototypes, I'll take that!! I'll bet you, I'll make it fly!! If anyone have any experience with swept-forward wings... like the ALULA etc., we'll do it justice. If I can make one of your faicons fly, anybody can. I may not have a "fighter jet" style of flying ( as you saw) but I will definitly make soar like the real thing.
I'm really happy with the new fuselage/body and I like the new tail. Now I've egot to get it to fly like I want it to and be reproducable by someone other than myself.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 06:21 PM
Va.Beach VA.
Joined Aug 2007
2,128 Posts
Lee did you fly 3 of your new prototypes in the airshow/club? How did they fly compaired to your older ones... what's the difference in flying characteristics? If they saw them, can we? Can you show us ONE "far away" video of one of your prototypes and tell your forum customers that the model seen flying, may differ from production model....or..something?
Old Jan 27, 2010, 07:01 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,049 Posts
Here is some pictures of one of the prototypes. I like the way it looks. It is definitely easier to build. The tail is easy and well supported. The beak is solid and not likely to take damage in a crash. I realize a little paint would make it more realistic but I'm still in the prototype mode.

I have flown it 20+ times. I can keep it in the air and it does look good up high. I have also crash tested it. I think I have broken at least 4 props on it so far but the plane in the true EPP fashion was not damaged at all.

It has tons of power.

It loops well and it rolls well and has a sensitive elevator even though it is only part of the tail not the whole tail on the previous version.

The problem comes with flat and level flight. It wants to pitch up and down. Even gliding with the power off it is doesn't want to hold the nose up. I have played with CG a lot. I thought balance may be the problem but it doesn't seem to make much difference.

I think the the angled wing tips are part of the problem. There are just too many angles to figure out exactly what is happening. The wing has dihedral and tips are designed to try to get rid of the rudders like we did on the Assassin and Titan.

My thoughts are to make some modifications one at a time and see if I can figure out a combination will work. I am going to start by cutting off the wingtips and make them flat like a conventional trainer just to test the concept. I have 4 more wings cut so there is no no reason not to try and make some modifications.

Do you like it?

Last edited by Lee; Jan 27, 2010 at 07:53 PM.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 07:30 PM
Smoke me a Kipper
Cedar Grove North Carolina
Joined Oct 2006
1,214 Posts
It wants to pitch up and down= short coupled...No?
fritzdecat is offline Find More Posts by fritzdecat
Old Jan 27, 2010, 07:41 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,049 Posts
I have many flying wings and they don't act like this. I'm sure the short coupling has an effect however.

I haven't flown the new ones in front of spectators yet other than a couple of club members.

Last edited by Lee; Jan 27, 2010 at 07:48 PM.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 08:47 PM
Virginia Beach, VA
Joined Nov 2006
973 Posts
Lee,
It's nice that you've come out with this bird, (one of the three you've mentioned) but I'm sorry but it somewhat look kind'a ...you know, interesting. Does the other prototypes look more realistic in regaurds to the falcon silhouette? Or should we waite and see...
anthodenn is offline Find More Posts by anthodenn
Old Jan 27, 2010, 09:13 PM
Va.Beach VA.
Joined Aug 2007
2,128 Posts
Antho, Lee is very busy with a lot. That bird IS interesting in itself, but it is a protype and they aren't easy to make from what I hear. Lee that's a very good looking wing core!! I also see the progress in the fuse.
Again, that wing core looks serious.
Thank you for the pictures Lee.
Last edited by G-LO; Jan 27, 2010 at 09:21 PM.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 09:26 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,049 Posts
It's OK to voice an opinion. I did ask and honest feedback doesn't bother me .

At this point I'm not so worried about the looks I'm trying to improve flight characteristics. I am playing with the cut wing angles trying to get stability which I did improve in some ways. I am satisfied with the new body and tail set up.

The feathers shape would be up to the particular bird I want to make at the time. I am designing the basic form I could then shape anything from a seagull to a hawk just by reshaping the flatfoam tail and elevons. This cut was just an extreme test of theory.

In you mind take the elevons off and look just at the shape of the core of the wing. It has a lot of possibilities if you consider all of the different tail and elevons shapes that could be used. The tail could be 'V" shaped and the elevons could be made narrow to get the falcon look instead of the eagle or hawk look.

It makes a lot of difference to have some paint and color on it too but I'm not to that point yet.

Last edited by Lee; Jan 27, 2010 at 09:43 PM.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 10:15 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,528 Posts
Forward sweep adds a bit of inherent instability. Have you tried one with a straight LE (except for the tip sweep)?
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank