SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 13, 2009, 04:58 PM
Smoke me a Kipper
Cedar Grove North Carolina
Joined Oct 2006
1,214 Posts
Looks good...Glad some one else it trying this

Are you putting any dihedral in the wing or just flaring the tips?

What motor are you gonna use?
fritzdecat is offline Find More Posts by fritzdecat
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 13, 2009, 09:38 PM
Addicted to flight since 1944
southern Florida
Joined Feb 2004
1,750 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigeonflyer View Post
Hi there Eaglebuilders,
Did the same as fritzdecat, simply printing the A4 tiled version of thre 56" plan and blowing it up to about 80" using a photocopier (A4 to A3 paper size enlargement).
The wing has to be strengthened some way (I am laminating the leading edge with 3 layers of 1mm balsa sheet before sanding it to the desired section) plus the cross spar is of heavier dimensions plus the entire surface will be covered, after painting, with transparent self-adhesive packing tape.

Capt G, I like your paint scheme. Simple enough, yet quite realistic and shows from a distance!

AUW is anticipated to be around 900g or maybe somewhat less. Here are some photos of the build:
Split the middle layer span wise and add a spar there before gluing the whole thing up. In other words split the middle layer span wise, glue it to the bottom layer with enough gap for your spar, add the spar, then glue on the top layer of the wing. That should do it. I am not sure a leading edge spar only would be sufficient but it might be with the layered wing.

Your big eagle looks really nice.
rbrown3rd is offline Find More Posts by rbrown3rd
Old Nov 15, 2009, 07:20 AM
Hungary, Europe
Joined Feb 2009
106 Posts
I have already done the gluing, so I can only hope my solution for the wing will give enough strength. Of course, the fuselage also has some reinforcements, especially where it joins the wing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzdecat View Post
Looks good...Glad some one else it trying this
Are you putting any dihedral in the wing or just flaring the tips?
What motor are you gonna use?
Just folding up the winglets, but no dihedral.
The motor is a high-KV BL outrunner equipped with a 55mm ducted fan, run from a 3S 2200 mAh LiPo through 60A ESC
Later today I will be testing the system for thrust sufficiency and signs of excessive warming before assembling the drive system.
Measured everything and now it seems that 1000-1100g will be the final all-up weight..
Pigeonflyer is offline Find More Posts by Pigeonflyer
Last edited by Pigeonflyer; Nov 15, 2009 at 11:43 AM. Reason: spelling
Old Nov 15, 2009, 07:53 AM
Addicted to flight since 1944
southern Florida
Joined Feb 2004
1,750 Posts
What is the material you are using Pigeonflyer? Depron? Thickness?
rbrown3rd is offline Find More Posts by rbrown3rd
Old Nov 15, 2009, 06:19 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,622 Posts
Quote:
I have already done the gluing, so I can only hope my solution for the wing will give enough strength. Of course, the fuselage also has some reinforcements, especially where it joins the wing.
Just folding up the winglets, but no dihedral.
Have you considered embedding some CF rod or flat stock in slots in the wing upper and bottom surfaces? It will add a LOT of stiffness to the wing. I did this (using CF tow) on my 56 in span FFF eagle.
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Nov 16, 2009, 02:31 AM
Hungary, Europe
Joined Feb 2009
106 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrown3rd View Post
What is the material you are using Pigeonflyer? Depron? Thickness?
Actually, it is sold as underlay for floorboards, but the material is depron, of 5mm standard thickness.

Tom Frank:
Yes, I thought of that, thanks. At the moment it seems that the leading edge lamination and the cross-spar give sufficient stiffness to the anterior half of the wing. I am still wondering whether or not to work on the posterior section too, which is only 5 mm thick. I thought that with the tape covering it will have enough structural strength against being torn, and it would not be that bad if that section could curve out a little bit in flight, like in the case of a kite wing (there are no ailerons in my design).

[The testing of the electronic system did not work out: I have had some difficulties with this Turnigy Sentry ESC earleir as well. As if the voltage would be pulsating, the props (fan) will not turn but only "tremble", with the ESC heating up. I tried various programming options, no luck so far.]

Thanks for your comments.
Old Nov 16, 2009, 09:06 AM
Virginia Beach, VA
Joined Nov 2006
973 Posts
Has Lee or anyone seen these yet? They are nice!

Oiseau rc bird type glider "condor" (1 min 22 sec)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dApuM...eature=related

Aircraft Sailplanes FIRE HOOK split aileron (2 min 6 sec)
anthodenn is offline Find More Posts by anthodenn
Old Nov 16, 2009, 04:28 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,622 Posts
Quote:
Tom Frank:
Yes, I thought of that, thanks.
I thought that with the tape covering it will have enough structural strength against being torn, and it would not be that bad if that section could curve out a little bit in flight, like in the case of a kite wing (there are no ailerons in my design).
Thanks for your comments.
Sorry, I missed the part in your prior email about taping top and bottom. That will help a lot!
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Nov 16, 2009, 04:38 PM
Va.Beach VA.
Joined Aug 2007
2,135 Posts
Yeah Lee, what do ya think?! Any word on your birds yet!? That video sure is a good idea..Thanks for the video Bro....! See you I the field saturday*
G-LO is offline Find More Posts by G-LO
Old Nov 21, 2009, 01:15 PM
United States, CA, Rocklin
Joined Jan 2006
1,103 Posts
New Hawk

Just finished my 'Hawk'. Bad day for a maiden, so perhaps tomorrow.
I used the plans frank48 posted on post 98. Thanks frank48

gofish
gofish is offline Find More Posts by gofish
Old Nov 22, 2009, 05:01 PM
United States, CA, Rocklin
Joined Jan 2006
1,103 Posts
It flies!
gofish is offline Find More Posts by gofish
Old Nov 23, 2009, 12:21 PM
Va.Beach VA.
Joined Aug 2007
2,135 Posts
Gofish, that look great both bird on floor and especially in the air. Looks like it's finally "free"!
Old Nov 25, 2009, 01:50 AM
Hungary, Europe
Joined Feb 2009
106 Posts
Hi Everyone,
Let me just put here some update on how may depron eagle looks at the moment. What is left to be done is only painting and wing/fuselage covering (packing tape), otherwise the bird is complete.
Old Nov 29, 2009, 10:31 AM
Va.Beach VA.
Joined Aug 2007
2,135 Posts
Mr Lee, if the New Peregrine will come in two models, (thin wing and thick),will the price differ?
thanks
Old Nov 29, 2009, 01:42 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,105 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-LO View Post
Mr Lee, if the New Peregrine will come in two models, (thin wing and thick),will the price differ?
thanks
If we cut two different airfoils the price will be the same. There are two designs we are considering. We can use the fat Assassin airfoil with a motor and make an indestructible powered bird or we can use an airfoil like the SD6060 and make a higher performance slope capable bird. I have several of each and they do fly different but each have their place.

Between my real job and the other planes we do we haven't had much time to devote to the Peregrine. It's the most complex plane we have ever cut and is very time consuming. I'll try to repent and get busy with the details. I know there are several EPP Peregrine enthusiasts waiting for the re-release and I thank you for your patience.
Lee is online now Find More Posts by Lee