Old Sep 14, 2009, 01:15 PM
Addicted to flight since 1944
southern Florida
Joined Feb 2004
1,750 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdofplay
I can stand it any longer !
I just cut these parts for a 2 meter span eagle !

Your build is looking good birdofplay. I am planning on a 42 inch version and I have some a question for you and/or anyone who can help. I have the plans that show the three layer just as you have cut your parts for. The plans call for a spar under the first layer. . Wouldn't the three layer KFM wing work just gluing the three layers on top of each other also providing a fair amount of strength? Is the spar to add the KFM height in the airfoil?
rbrown3rd is offline Find More Posts by rbrown3rd
Last edited by rbrown3rd; Sep 14, 2009 at 05:10 PM. Reason: grammatical error
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 14, 2009, 06:00 PM
If it wasn't for the foam
PA
Joined Dec 2004
522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee
Great looking plane. Now when do we get to see a movie?
Thanks Lee, I appreciate the compliment. I screwed up a few things, but it still looks and flies great!

Today's flights were better than yesterday's (despite a little breeze), now that I'm getting accustomed to the flight characteristics. I'm now able to replicate very realistic flight. I just had to find the right throttle setting. (0 clicks throttle, 1/2 throttle trim). This produces a slight climb. If I want to come down, I just make a few more, or tighter turns. (Perhaps I'm a little overpowered?)

I have about 1/4" reflex on the ailerons, 0 deg. elevator, and 0 deg. AOI between wing and tail. Dive test still produces a little swooping, but it's easy to smooth it out with a little down elevator. I think this means I can move the CG back a little, and reduce the reflex a little. (Is my thinking straight?)

I've never tried flight video's, or posting video on RCGroups. I have a Canon SD1100IS that will take video. I'll have to start experimenting.
tduro is offline Find More Posts by tduro
Last edited by tduro; Sep 14, 2009 at 08:11 PM.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 12:32 AM
Va.Beach VA.
Joined Aug 2007
2,148 Posts
tduro. That looks truly amazing! The silhouette is something i can look up (or down) at all day. like Lee said, get some footage..i'll be here!.I cant wait to see it glide! ps:what material and how ridgid is the rudder on the bird? i wanted to do the same thing on one of my projects.
G-LO is offline Find More Posts by G-LO
Last edited by G-LO; Sep 16, 2009 at 12:44 AM.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 08:17 AM
If it wasn't for the foam
PA
Joined Dec 2004
522 Posts
G-LO, the glide ratio isn't that great, but flying at minimum throttle looks (and sounds) like gliding. It's suprisingly realistic.

Without power, I can bring it in for a landing without using my neighbors' airspace. I can come down from altitude in tight circles and land it at my feet everytime. I suppose I could catch it, but I generally reserve that for pushers.

The plastic rudder is made of blister-pack material. I wanted the realism and simplicity of a flat tail. It seems pretty flimsy, but it works fine.
tduro is offline Find More Posts by tduro
Old Sep 16, 2009, 11:58 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,178 Posts
We have temporarily discontinued the Peregrine kit. We are in the process of redesigning the kit and you will be able to find it on www.crashtesthobby.com when it is available again plus I will make a note on this thread.

I still fly mine almost every week. I still have 4 of them.
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Old Sep 16, 2009, 02:19 PM
PunchDrunk ex-Pug try'n fly'n
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Jan 2009
1,014 Posts
Lee, Hey you guys have your own website! Congrats....
Why the discontinueation of the Peregrine? Another set of improvements?
I have moved on to more scratch building myself but I am still a big fan of Crash Test! Love that Falcon! Love the "Bird" planes!
jp
jp.electrik is offline Find More Posts by jp.electrik
Old Sep 16, 2009, 06:04 PM
Va.Beach VA.
Joined Aug 2007
2,148 Posts
I love bird planes too. I wont' buy any rc unless it's ''bird like" in appearence ..my brain loves it. Thats why i bought 3 kits from Lee.I'm waiting to see what grand master peace he's comming out with next! If its made of EPP, you know i want it...!Yeah..you can say i'm just plane bird crazy.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 06:27 PM
Va.Beach VA.
Joined Aug 2007
2,148 Posts
Tduro,thanks for the reply and i will keep that in mind about the rudder on my next project. Mr. T, keep up the good work.I do like your style! I wish i was talented like you guys.
Old Sep 18, 2009, 03:08 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,178 Posts
Thanks for your support. I will post here when we have it ready to ship again.

The truth is I would like to use the Assassin airfoil on the Peregrine which means we would have to re-engineer the plane. We just set up a new foam cutter so now is the time to change.

If we can make the Peregrine as aerobatic, stable and tough as the Assassin but still have it look as good as it does we would have a dream plane.

In the interim keep building the FFF birds. I think they are great and am glad to see the KF airfoils in use on exotic designs.
Old Sep 18, 2009, 12:26 PM
Joined Jan 2009
1,014 Posts
Blast from the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee
......... we would have a dream plane......
Lee, is there any chance or possibility of a Bird Plane with a pusher set-up?
My tailless Peregrine mod last year was a success, but I went through a number of Motors during the testing phases. Each new motor moved the CG just enough to alter the flight characteristics. And with no tail I found the CG to be very touchy. I curled the tips as per your suggestion, and found a workable CG after allot of effort/crashes. My only regret is that I did not get video on the three occasions that i had it flying well. It really looked great in the air!
However the bird took a bit of a beating through all the testing, and I lost patience. I gained a new respect for all the testing guys like you must go through to find a proven airframe!
I like pushers because they are more likely to survive the kind of punishment my planes are put through. This is the price of Kit Bashing.
jp
Last edited by jp.electrik; Sep 18, 2009 at 12:38 PM.
Old Sep 20, 2009, 09:24 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp.electrik
Lee, is there any chance or possibility of a Bird Plane with a pusher set-up?
My tailless Peregrine mod last year was a success, but I went through a number of Motors during the testing phases. Each new motor moved the CG just enough to alter the flight characteristics. And with no tail I found the CG to be very touchy. I curled the tips as per your suggestion, and found a workable CG after allot of effort/crashes. My only regret is that I did not get video on the three occasions that i had it flying well. It really looked great in the air!
However the bird took a bit of a beating through all the testing, and I lost patience. I gained a new respect for all the testing guys like you must go through to find a proven airframe!
I like pushers because they are more likely to survive the kind of punishment my planes are put through. This is the price of Kit Bashing.
jp
Birds have tails. I don't know how to put the motor on the back of the plane without getting in the way of the tail. Trust me I have thought about it and set cores out in all different configurations which visually helps but there isn't an easy answer.
Old Sep 20, 2009, 09:25 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,178 Posts
How is this for the start of an idea to be used with a KF airfoil?

The different wings are the same on the back with just the leading edge of the wing changing. I like the look. My favorite is the 2.5" forward at the left.

Here is a link to the popular KF airfoil thread. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=558321

A link to my son's thread that started it all. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...light=horntail
Last edited by Lee; Sep 20, 2009 at 09:44 AM.
Old Sep 20, 2009, 10:25 AM
Joined Jan 2009
1,014 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee
I don't know how to put the motor on the back of the plane without getting in the way of the tail.
What about a prop in slot?
jp
Old Sep 20, 2009, 01:53 PM
Va.Beach VA.
Joined Aug 2007
2,148 Posts
Hey lee, that idea is very creative. Just think, on that sketchup you have of the dragon, and from it; you can create a different line of dragons or (My favorite ) birds.!? Well...i am saying this like it's eazy to do all this, but you got me thinking hard on the idea. We already have the epp " Eagle",which like from what Mr Scott said from one of your videos said," it just floats long" which of cource nothings wrong with that becaue i love to soar .But I like to move like i have life too as well. I like both worlds. I'm a ornithopter guy,and i get my inspiration from S.Kinkade,Mr."Kazu"blue falcon or R.Muster and you Lee.Its' just truley fasanating how you guys do it.!? You know?
Old Sep 20, 2009, 02:55 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp.electrik
What about a prop in slot?
jp
That is an option. On a delta wing it is easy to do, you have lots of foam to work with. When you have a narrow bird wing it is still possible but the foam tail behind the prop is hard to reinforce enough to make it strong enough to fly.

I recently saw a golf tournament that had an eagle in a shield logo that I though was cleaver, It had some possibilities. I think it was the Barclay or something like that. It made me realize that often what we expect to see as a bird can be represented quite differently and open more possibilities.

I found a link look at the small logo. http://www.thebarclaysgolf.com/

Lee