SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 09, 2009, 09:06 PM
Luis Claudio - Rio - Brazil
Brasil, RJ, Rio de Janeiro
Joined Apr 2005
2,398 Posts
Amazing video and photos sequence!! For Sure the raptor was going to dive his nails in your poor bird.. I think that in the first attack, the real hawk was more trying to scare the intruder than trying to get a real fight. But at the second try..

Really cool!
Luis_Claudio is offline Find More Posts by Luis_Claudio
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 10, 2009, 12:02 AM
Flying high
Seattle, Wa
Joined Dec 2002
2,263 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee
One of the falconers told me that the raptors will kill to protect their feeding territory. We have noticed that birds a long way off will come to investigate if we are flying the bird planes.

The birds don't seem to hear the motor even when it is noisy. They seem more responsive to the movement.

In the desert we have miles of open air and mostly sunny days and low humidity but I wish there were more trees not less. If we head east into the mountains we get in the brush and trees in just a few minutes.
Lee, it was your pictures that first inspired me to build the eagle and add the video camera to begin with. This video is what I was hoping to get from the beginning. The hawks in you pictures were trained to take the target straight down, right? I don't really know what this guy would have done if he got ahold of my eagle. I'll probably see him again because he lives near my favorite park. Hopefully I can keep outmenuvering him because he was learning my tricks and I don't have many!

The eagle really has become one of my favorite planes to fly!
billwhit is offline Find More Posts by billwhit
Old Jun 10, 2009, 09:25 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,016 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billwhit
Lee, it was your pictures that first inspired me to build the eagle and add the video camera to begin with. This video is what I was hoping to get from the beginning. The hawks in you pictures were trained to take the target straight down, right? I don't really know what this guy would have done if he got ahold of my eagle. I'll probably see him again because he lives near my favorite park. Hopefully I can keep outmenuvering him because he was learning my tricks and I don't have many!

The eagle really has become one of my favorite planes to fly!
The falconers train their birds to take certain kinds of food but the strike (called a stoop) is instinctive. I hear they can get going 200+ mph. I would guess that if the eagle wants to kill you plane he would. To him it is a simple target. If you noticed in the video the eagle himself is being chased by small birds to harass him out of their area. It looks like he (or she) is trying to do the same to you.

I have started to try to fly with the big birds, not harass them or run from them. We frequently get visited by falcons, hawks, eagles, seagulls, pelicans and vultures depending on the time of year. The pelicans are some of the funnest to fly with. they could care less that you are flying with them and they will circle for hours. They do tend to do carpet bombing in unison at times so you have to watch out.

The falconers told me that if you climb hard and get an altitude advantage over the bird they will likely give you respect. Altitude is a position of power for a strike. Birds can fly fast and have better control but they can't out climb you. When I get above them they often fly away. I also noticed that loops and rolls seem to get them to back off. I always wonder what they are thinking.

Three years ago I was flying a flying wing and an bald eagle appeared following my plane. I got excited and wanted to get a better look. I was moving faster so I did a loop to get back by the bird. The loop confused the eagle and I almost hit him so be careful. I can imagine the headlines if we accidentally took out a bird.

My Peregrines are not my most aerobatic planes but I fly one every time I go out. My brain likes the look of a bird in the sky.

Lee
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Last edited by Lee; Jun 10, 2009 at 09:35 AM.
Old Jun 10, 2009, 02:15 PM
rLu
Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2004
181 Posts
First Birdie

Inspired by this thread and some friends with flying birds at the flying field, I finally created my own birdie.

Specifications:

Wing span: 32" tip to tip
Wing Chore at root: 9"
Length: 21.5"
Foam: dollar store poster foam (measured 5mm thick foam only)
Motor: HC 10g motor rewound
Prop: 4.5"x3"
ESC: Pulsar 6A
Receiver: AR6100E
Battery: Rhino 360mah 2S
Servos: Hextronic 5g, (2)

AUW: 123.7g (4.35oz)

At maiden flight, she did not want to fly. It flew nose up and stalled. Not enough down thrust. It also rocked side to side. I was having a tough time keeping her up in the air.

Second flight with more motor down thrust and reflex at the wing, she flew better but still rocked side to side but not as much.

3rd flight with more motor down thrust and a lot more reflex, she flies great!

This is my first V-tail and I read somewhere that they need to be around 110 degrees apart. Mine came out to be around 125. I used a heat gun trying to bend it up a little, now it is around 120. It turns O.K. so I just left the way it is.

Now...just have to find a way to airbrush this birdie. I have tried airbrushing once and still need more guidance for better results. Looking at foamnpacktape's Red Tailed hawk, I like the detail and looks of that bird.

Anyone know a software that rotates the video 90 degrees? I took a video with my cell phone but it is side way and don't know anything about video editing. I want to post it here but you all have to tilt you head to see it.

Thanks for posting this thread. I learned a lot from just reading. Still need to go back and read some more because I have not read the whole thread.

Rlu
rLu is offline Find More Posts by rLu
Last edited by rLu; Jun 11, 2009 at 12:40 AM.
Old Jun 10, 2009, 02:57 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,471 Posts
Most photo editors/viewers allow a picture to be rotated and saved. What are you using to view pictures on your computer?
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Jun 10, 2009, 05:48 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,016 Posts
RLU

Draw up some plans and I will link them at the first of this thread.

I like the bend in the wing. It looks great!!!

Lee
Last edited by Lee; Jun 10, 2009 at 05:59 PM.
Old Jun 10, 2009, 09:01 PM
Boffin
Victoria, BC, Canada
Joined Apr 2001
3,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billwhit
Thanks.I originally thought it was a hawk, but now I'm pretty sure it was a juvenile bald eagle.
Yep, a 2 year old bald eagle. You can tell by the big beak, feathered legs and pattern of white feathers under the wings. They're the biggest bird we have in the NW.

A friend had a golden eagle and when it flew up to my arm with that 7' wingspan all the caveman death instincts kicked in. It was amazing to watch it hunt rabbits but the speed and elegance of the peregrine means it is still my favourite bird of prey.

Rick.
rpage53 is offline Find More Posts by rpage53
Old Jun 10, 2009, 11:55 PM
Joined Feb 2009
164 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpage53
Yep, a 2 year old bald eagle. You can tell by the big beak, feathered legs and pattern of white feathers under the wings. They're the biggest bird we have in the NW.

A friend had a golden eagle and when it flew up to my arm with that 7' wingspan all the caveman death instincts kicked in. It was amazing to watch it hunt rabbits but the speed and elegance of the peregrine means it is still my favourite bird of prey.

Rick.

I'm no bird expert but the beak is dark and bald eagles (mature ones at least) have yellow beaks and golden eagles have dark beaks (again mature ones). Do bald eagles beaks change color as they mature?
Willja67 is offline Find More Posts by Willja67
Old Jun 11, 2009, 12:38 AM
rLu
Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2004
181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank
Most photo editors/viewers allow a picture to be rotated and saved. What are you using to view pictures on your computer?

Tom Frank, thanks for replying, but I was referring to the video and not the pictures. Can video be rotated?

Lee, thanks for the offer. I will try to draw up some plans when I have time and will post here.

Rlu
Old Jun 11, 2009, 09:40 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,471 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rLu
Tom Frank, thanks for replying, but I was referring to the video and not the pictures. Can video be rotated?
Rlu
I didn't read your post carefully, sorry. Yes, video can be rotated, and most editors have this function, e.g. Windows Movie Maker, etc. Some video players can also rotate the image temporarily during playback (e.g. VLC player can do this)
Old Jun 11, 2009, 09:41 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,471 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willja67
I'm no bird expert but the beak is dark and bald eagles (mature ones at least) have yellow beaks and golden eagles have dark beaks (again mature ones). Do bald eagles beaks change color as they mature?
Yes, bald eagle beaks turn yellow and head/tail feathers turn white when they mature... can take 4+ years to reach maturity.
Old Jun 11, 2009, 12:55 PM
PunchDrunk ex-Pug try'n fly'n
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Jan 2009
1,014 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank
Yes, bald eagle beaks turn yellow and head/tail feathers turn white when they mature... can take 4+ years to reach maturity.
From what I hear it always takes 4 years.
We have lots of them here. I guess the younger Balds have larger flight feathers which help the rookies fly.
I find the young ones to be more curious then their older relatives.
jp
jp.electrik is offline Find More Posts by jp.electrik
Last edited by jp.electrik; Jun 11, 2009 at 01:28 PM.
Old Jun 12, 2009, 10:39 PM
rLu
Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2004
181 Posts
Anyone know why my bird rocks side to side at faster flying speed? I thought the reflex fixed the issue but it still does it when it flies fast or when there is wind & I try to speed it up a little. It flies without rocking when flying slow.

Rlu
Old Jun 12, 2009, 11:51 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,016 Posts
Is your wing flexing?
Old Jun 13, 2009, 12:19 AM
rLu