HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 02, 2009, 11:55 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,179 Posts
I flew the Peregrine at a Scout-a-Rama this week. There were a group of EPP combat planes in the air and they stayed in formation with me for part of the flight. I did aerobatics with the Peregine for the scouts.

I flew both the old and the new configurations (with elevons and with AET) and they both fly well. I did increase the throws on the elevons for more aerobatic flight and most of the other flyers had no idea which I was flying by watching the plane. I think the elevons fly a little better but the other plane is trimmed so well it flies well too.
Lee is online now Find More Posts by Lee
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 06, 2009, 07:57 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,179 Posts
I have had Scott who is the artistic brain behind the Peregrine over to build a Peregrine for himself. Here are some photos from that build and some of the ideas we are coming up with as we work together.

We fly a lot of combat and I like planes that last a long time. That is why we cut the Peregrines out of the same EPP as the Assassin and Pinata combat planes. We are trying to lengthen the life of the plane by improving the design.

We are trying to set the plane up for elevons rather than RET.

We are also reinforcing the fuse with bidirectional tape and using a wingbolt to secure the wing the fuse.

The modifications can be done to the kit TJ makes.

Last edited by Lee; Jun 06, 2009 at 08:06 AM.
Old Jun 06, 2009, 08:16 AM
metro Detroit, MI
Joined Jan 2007
193 Posts
Great work Lee and Scott. Glad to see you are continuing to work on this already greaet design. A few questions:

1. It might just be the parallax angle of the photo, but it looks like you had set a bit of right thrust into the wood motor mount. Correct? If so, how much? Any downthrust?

2. Where do you get that bidirectional tape? Does its weight add significantly to the bird?

3. Are you still planning on using a tp 2408-21? If so, what prop?

4. Are you using a tape hinge for the elevons?

Thanks...arniep
arniep is offline Find More Posts by arniep
Old Jun 06, 2009, 10:36 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,179 Posts
The motor is straight, It might benefit from a little down thrust but if I decide I want that I will put a washer under the top of the motor mount.

You can buy bidirectional tape at Lowes or on line for even better stuff, go to my blog and the shopping list for beginners for a link.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...51&postcount=1

I use the BP21 or the CF2812. they are similar in output but the CF2812 is a little more durable and the BP21 is a little more powerful.

We have added some hinge tape but I haven't had trouble with the hinge line what I have had it the feather tips tearing so they are also taped and a string put in a slit that goes around the feathers. I'll show that in later photos.

Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by arniep
Great work Lee and Scott. Glad to see you are continuing to work on this already greaet design. A few questions:

1. It might just be the parallax angle of the photo, but it looks like you had set a bit of right thrust into the wood motor mount. Correct? If so, how much? Any downthrust?

2. Where do you get that bidirectional tape? Does its weight add significantly to the bird?

3. Are you still planning on using a tp 2408-21? If so, what prop?

4. Are you using a tape hinge for the elevons?

Thanks...arniep
Old Jun 07, 2009, 09:29 AM
metro Detroit, MI
Joined Jan 2007
193 Posts
Thanks Lee. What size bi-directional tape are you using?
--arniep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee
The motor is straight, It might benefit from a little down thrust but if I decide I want that I will put a washer under the top of the motor mount.

You can buy bidirectional tape at Lowes or on line for even better stuff, go to my blog and the shopping list for beginners for a link.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...51&postcount=1

I use the BP21 or the CF2812. they are similar in output but the CF2812 is a little more durable and the BP21 is a little more powerful.

We have added some hinge tape but I haven't had trouble with the hinge line what I have had it the feather tips tearing so they are also taped and a string put in a slit that goes around the feathers. I'll show that in later photos.

Lee
arniep is offline Find More Posts by arniep
Old Jun 07, 2009, 02:29 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arniep
Thanks Lee. What size bi-directional tape are you using?
--arniep
The tape at Lowes is 2.25" and the tape I bought online is 2". I would split it lengthwise for hinging elevons. I have a sheet of glass that I stick the tape to then use a straightedge and razor blade to get a clean cut for narrower widths.
Old Jun 08, 2009, 11:12 AM
Build it, don't buy it
Calgary, AB, Canada
Joined Apr 2008
2,201 Posts
Hey Lee,

Just discovered this thread, as a result of a recent interest in scale "birds". Just finished cobbling together a "stand off" scale Red Tailed hawk. No plans or build photos, just kind of cut, carved and sanded. After this little test platform, I see another bird in my future, I will make an effort to document.

I was going to use it for the slope but, but upon taking it out for trim flights, I was not impressed with its glide ratio, and it is a little draggy also. Given decent lift it would probably fair alright, just not all that ideal; gotta do some research and experimenting with those tip feathers. Decided to see how it does as an electric.

Spent the weekend throwing a couple of 400's into the wings, Hope to maiden today.

Regards, thanks for the thread, looks like a lot of info here,
foam.

Edit: Back from maiden!
foamnpacktape is offline Find More Posts by foamnpacktape
Last edited by foamnpacktape; Jun 08, 2009 at 12:32 PM.
Old Jun 08, 2009, 06:48 PM
Flying high
Seattle, Wa
Joined Dec 2002
2,263 Posts
Raptor attack!

Hey guys, I got my best video with my eagle yet! I was out on Sunday taking my eagle around the park when I spotted this big guy above. I think it was the same guy fro last time and he doesn't usually bother me so I didn't think much more than I might get a shot or two of him on video. He crossed over a few times quite a bit higher than I was flying, then he decided I looked good for lunch.
Man, he was a good flyer, the only way I avoided him was to drop into a steep dive and do a 180. I thought about letting him make a hit on me, but decided better. After a few strafing runs on me I was saved by an unlikely source. About 3 crows, who never pay my eagle any attention, jumped on the hawk! Even so he was still out for blood and got a few more runs on me as I came down to earth as quick as possible. At one point he was probably not more than 15 feet off the ground which was eye level to me standing a the top op a hill. It was hard to keep an eye on my eagle instead of watching him, and he was big! His wingspan was larger than my 56" eagle!

Anyway, I haven't gotten the entire video loaded yet because my modem keeps jamming, grrrrrr, but I did get the best part loaded onto video and took some screen shots as well. It's amazing how long it seemed when it happened, and it just tuned out to last about 1 minute. I like to pause the video and step frame to frame, you can really see him adjust his feathers in flight that way!

Raptor attack! (0 min 57 sec)
billwhit is offline Find More Posts by billwhit
Last edited by billwhit; Jun 08, 2009 at 09:11 PM.
Old Jun 08, 2009, 08:22 PM
New Hampshire-seacoast area
Joined Jun 2005
1,755 Posts
man I enjoyed that!!!!!!!!!!!

Great stuff, and so clear to-- your knees must have been knock'n!
praymond is offline Find More Posts by praymond
Old Jun 09, 2009, 10:25 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,179 Posts
Great Photos. I actually hope the bird attacks my plane.

We have had a lot of the red tail hawks around lately. They will fly right over flying wing combat and don't seem to concerned.

I will never forget my "Close Encounter of a Bird Kind!"

Lee

Old Jun 09, 2009, 10:41 AM
Flying high
Seattle, Wa
Joined Dec 2002
2,263 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee
Great Photos. I actually hope the bird attacks my plane.

We have had a lot of the red tail hawks around lately. They will fly right over flying wing combat and don't seem to concerned.

I will never forget my "Close Encounter of a Bird Kind!"

Lee

Thanks.

I originally thought it was a hawk, but now I'm pretty sure it was a juvenile bald eagle. I remember your pictures, they are awesome. It Looks like you have a lot of open space though...if I was taken out my eagle would most likely end up in the trees.

I wish I had someone taking video from the ground, it would have been cool to watch from that perspective...
billwhit is offline Find More Posts by billwhit
Old Jun 09, 2009, 10:54 AM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,173 Posts
billwhit that was the coolest video man!! i cant believe the noise from the motor didnt deter the bird wow!
Manta1 is offline Find More Posts by Manta1
Old Jun 09, 2009, 12:18 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,179 Posts
One of the falconers told me that the raptors will kill to protect their feeding territory. We have noticed that birds a long way off will come to investigate if we are flying the bird planes.

The birds don't seem to hear the motor even when it is noisy. They seem more responsive to the movement.

In the desert we have miles of open air and mostly sunny days and low humidity but I wish there were more trees not less. If we head east into the mountains we get in the brush and trees in just a few minutes.
Old Jun 09, 2009, 01:25 PM
france
Joined Aug 2008
73 Posts
Incredible !!! fantastic video !
thanks
marie3379 is offline Find More Posts by marie3379