Old May 23, 2009, 03:56 PM
Flying high
Seattle, Wa
Joined Dec 2002
2,263 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by derJuF
Hi to all,
Im absolutely new in building "Birds" like the real ones.
I read all threads over bird-like buildings i found and want to start with an "Rotmilan" (i think the right name in english is "red kite"), cause i very often see these birds at the flying field i normally start with my rc-planes.
Wingspan is 120cm.
Do you think the tail steering that i did will work?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8FI7I7Vkw0

Greetings Juergen
Wow! That's a pretty wild tail! I wonder how it will work...you gotta get some video of it flying!
billwhit is offline Find More Posts by billwhit
to remove ads between posts
Old May 24, 2009, 02:11 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,069 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by derJuF
Hi to all,
Im absolutely new in building "Birds" like the real ones.
I read all threads over bird-like buildings i found and want to start with an "Rotmilan" (i think the right name in english is "red kite"), cause i very often see these birds at the flying field i normally start with my rc-planes.
Wingspan is 120cm.
Do you think the tail steering that i did will work?
Milan Test 1 (0 min 36 sec)

Greetings Juergen
Wow. Ditto the work...that's awesome. I can't wait to here how it goes. I do wonder about no vertical stab componenet though...perhaps the wingtips will do the job or you could add a lightweight, see-thru stab on the tail.
Vantasstic is online now Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old May 24, 2009, 02:47 PM
Registered Aircraft Offender
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,511 Posts
Indeed that is some awesome work. Even cooler if it actually works. Can't wait for a video.

BTW, does anyone know if/where the official thread for the FFF-Eagle is? I saw this thread last week and had to build one for myself. Maiden will be today, so I wanted to see if there is any last minute advice I should know before I take her up.

Kev
Truglodite is offline Find More Posts by Truglodite
Old May 24, 2009, 02:59 PM
Lahr / Germany
Joined Jul 2006
142 Posts
thank you all for the compliments...ih hope it works in the air...
I have added the pic that i made for constructing the tail...

@Vantasstic: I hope it will flywithout a "invisible stab" ...but thats a very good Idea, thank you.

Next days i need some ideas for designing and mounting the head with the brushless...

Greetings Juergen
derJuF is offline Find More Posts by derJuF
Old May 26, 2009, 06:35 AM
Blue Falcon
the Netherlands
Joined Jan 2007
705 Posts
You made a really nice movable tail! Today I added a video of the flight of the bald eagle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYO3is0dXOk
bluefalconhollan is offline Find More Posts by bluefalconhollan
Last edited by bluefalconhollan; May 31, 2009 at 06:56 AM.
Old May 26, 2009, 07:21 AM
No such thing as overpowered
Suffolk, England
Joined Sep 2008
1,794 Posts
where can i get one of these EPP birds in the UK?
Wilit run? 353 is offline Find More Posts by Wilit run? 353
Old May 26, 2009, 09:51 AM
Flying high
Seattle, Wa
Joined Dec 2002
2,263 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truglodite
Indeed that is some awesome work. Even cooler if it actually works. Can't wait for a video.

BTW, does anyone know if/where the official thread for the FFF-Eagle is? I saw this thread last week and had to build one for myself. Maiden will be today, so I wanted to see if there is any last minute advice I should know before I take her up.

Kev
I'm not sure there is one. The "official" one in the kits section is for the kits being sold that these plans are based on. They don't seem very friendly to those of us building instead of buying the kits.
Old May 26, 2009, 10:11 AM
Flying high
Seattle, Wa
Joined Dec 2002
2,263 Posts
I had my first experience flying my Eagle with a real Bald Eagle! I was trying out a new flying park and while I was in the air Bald Eagle getting attacked by crows. Feeling some camaraderie I thought I was see if I could help. I tried not to get too close, but when I cut my motor and tried to get in between the crows and the eagle. It seemed to work and the crows broke off. It actually seemed like the eagle knew I wanted to help and he glided a few circles and then took off. I didn't get as good of video as I thought, but I did get some. Here are a couple of screenshots!
Last edited by billwhit; May 26, 2009 at 10:16 AM.
Old May 26, 2009, 11:18 AM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefalconhollan
You made a really nice movable tail! Today I added a video of the flight of the bald eagle:

http://vimeo.com/4841183
Robert, that is truly awesome... an ornithopter eagle that flies by wing power alone! I should go browse the ornithopter thread, but maybe you can clarify something. Do the wings rotate with a slightly increased angle of attack on the upstroke, then back down on the down stroke? Seems like that would be necessary to get more upward than downward force from the flapping action to develop the lift and forward thrust necessary to stay airborne. It would be very interesting to see the motor/wing linkages.

One other thing... is it possible to stop the flapping and glide momentarily? I built the FFF eagle that has been highlighted in this thread, and it has it's own merits when soaring around at altitude like a real eagle, but flapping wing flight is also in a class of its own. Well done!!!
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Last edited by Tom Frank; May 26, 2009 at 03:25 PM.
Old May 26, 2009, 12:01 PM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,157 Posts
that eagle is the cats meaow!!!!holy crap ive never seen anything like it!!
is it easy to fly?looks real man!!
Manta1 is offline Find More Posts by Manta1
Old May 26, 2009, 01:31 PM
Blue Falcon
the Netherlands
Joined Jan 2007
705 Posts
@ billwit: very nice pictures from the back of your bird...and you took pictures of a real bald eagle in flight, never seen before, well done!

Tom Frank: Thank you for the nice comments. Well the wings of the eagle are actively and aerodynamic twisting during up and down stroke. They move like real birds do. And sure, the eagle glides very good, at the end of the movie the eagle is gliding..just the camera man couldn't follow anymore because the bird flow straight above him.
bluefalconhollan is offline Find More Posts by bluefalconhollan
Old May 26, 2009, 01:41 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,990 Posts
Wow !!!!
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Old May 26, 2009, 02:17 PM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,157 Posts
that is beautifull just plain beautifull
Manta1 is offline Find More Posts by Manta1
Old May 26, 2009, 09:17 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,990 Posts
I have 4 of the EPP Peregrines flying. I decided for fun to set one as a flying wing and fly with elevons and a fixed tail. I love flying wings and I think it will fly... how well is still the question.

Hopefully tomorrow I will get the first flight and see what it will do.
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Old May 26, 2009, 09:27 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,419 Posts
Two Eagles and a Rocket

Here's some combined aerial video of two 56 in. FFF Eagles as seen from the other eagle. And thrown in for fun is a ground-to-air missle attack on my eagle!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=7401
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank