Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 19, 2009, 12:48 AM
PunchDrunk ex-Pug try'n fly'n
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Jan 2009
1,014 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer
The first time I think I've ever seen the top of a flying hawk!
WOW!! jp
jp.electrik is offline Find More Posts by jp.electrik
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 19, 2009, 02:03 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,110 Posts
Day two of 42" Eagle flights for me. Last night I broke off the wing tips and reglued them with ~20 degrees of dihedral (~1.25"). My flights were easy and...well...boring. The thing just flew with no problems at ~1/2 throttle. It turns left, it turns right, it glides, it floats in for landing. What else can I say. Even all white it gives a nice bird shape in the sky. It's going to be awesome with painted to look more bird like. The only thing I need to do is swap out the screaming Little Screamer motor to something A LOT quieter. I'm happy and the fellow fliers were impressed.
Vantasstic is online now Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 20, 2009, 01:47 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,009 Posts
oops
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Last edited by Lee; Apr 25, 2009 at 07:53 PM.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 03:08 PM
metro Detroit, MI
Joined Jan 2007
193 Posts
Hot glue advice needed

Hot glue advice needed:

Does anyone have any ideas as to how to prevent the glue from continuing to drip from the glue gun after you apply the glue to whatever it is you are gluing?

Or how to prevent the formation of 'cobweb' when you take the glue gun away from where you applied the glue?

My workbench has lots of glue drips from where I set the glue gun down after using it. I wish there was a way to reuse the drips since it seems like a good proportion of each stick is wasted by the 'dripping.'
--arniep
arniep is offline Find More Posts by arniep
Old Apr 21, 2009, 06:05 PM
have foam, will fly
San Diego
Joined Dec 2008
278 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arniep
Hot glue advice needed:

Does anyone have any ideas as to how to prevent the glue from continuing to drip from the glue gun after you apply the glue to whatever it is you are gluing?

Or how to prevent the formation of 'cobweb' when you take the glue gun away from where you applied the glue?

My workbench has lots of glue drips from where I set the glue gun down after using it. I wish there was a way to reuse the drips since it seems like a good proportion of each stick is wasted by the 'dripping.'
--arniep
Twirl the hot glue gun before pulling away or pull away with a quick flick of the wrist from your target to stop the spider web, search for hot glue gun crafts on youtube, such as the hot glue goddess . And back the stick out of the gun if you are not going to use for a few minutes, this will stop it dripping.
waqa is offline Find More Posts by waqa
Old Apr 25, 2009, 07:06 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,110 Posts
I maidened my 42" Eagle the other weekend and this weekend I painted it. I can't trace properly, so the fact that my airbrush job came out making it look(ish) like an Eagle is pretty amazing. Along the way I messed up in the direction of my feather outlines on the top wing, but hey...I'm lucky it looks like a bird. I can't wait to fly it again to see what it looks like all decorated and floating around the skies. My current motor is a screamer...I mean loud. I've got a different motor on order from HC that will hopefully be a lot quieter. I guess for now I can call this my Screaming Eagle.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 27, 2009, 10:21 AM
Flying high
Seattle, Wa
Joined Dec 2002
2,263 Posts
Under Attack!

I had my closest bird encounter this weekend. I rather large hawk came up behind me out of nowhere. I thought he was going to attack for a second, but it turns out he just wanted to smile for the camera!

Juvenile bald eagle visits rc eagle (0 min 50 sec)
billwhit is offline Find More Posts by billwhit
Old Apr 30, 2009, 06:02 PM
Luis Claudio - Rio - Brazil
Brasil, RJ, Rio de Janeiro
Joined Apr 2005
2,393 Posts
Very nice video! He was checking to see with was a female hawk
But she was fat for him

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwhit
I had my closest bird encounter this weekend. I rather large hawk came up behind me out of nowhere. I thought he was going to attack for a second, but it turns out he just wanted to smile for the camera!

http://vimeo.com/4332503
Luis_Claudio is offline Find More Posts by Luis_Claudio
Old Apr 30, 2009, 10:28 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,009 Posts
Got this link to UK

Originally Posted by empeabee
There is a comercial plan for a Buzzard available in UK :-

https://shop.traplet.com/search.aspx?q=Buzzard&h=

but it cost 12+PnP ( aprox $18)

Interesting thread - thanks
Regards
Mike (emmpeabee)
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Old May 01, 2009, 10:34 AM
Flying high
Seattle, Wa
Joined Dec 2002
2,263 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis_Claudio
Very nice video! He was checking to see with was a female hawk
But she was fat for him
Hey! My eagle isn't fat! (it's just big boned)
billwhit is offline Find More Posts by billwhit
Old May 09, 2009, 01:24 AM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,442 Posts
My FFF eagle

Thought I'd post some pics and video of my 56 in. eagle build since I made a few mods that might be of interest. I wanted to make the airframe a little more "bird-like". The mains mods are:

1. The "wrist" break in the wing LE was moved inward and the tip feathers extended slightly to more closely match eagle pictures I saw online.

2. The wing tips were bent up in a smooth arc with a hair dryer rather than a sharp polyhedral break.

3. The tail feathers were lowered into the body by about 3/4 in., and slightly reshaped wider at the front with a straighter line going aft, again to more closely resemble a real eagle. This also allowed the pushrods to the tail feathers to exit the top of the body where they aren't as visible.

4. The beak width was made about 3/4 in. narrower, again for a little more "scale" look.

5. I wanted aileron control, but again striving for more bird-like qualities, I contrived what I call "warperons", which are flexible ailerons with the outer end left attached and not cut free from the main wing. So when activated, the warperon actually twists into a gentle curve, with full deflection at the root and no deflection at the tip! This mimics the action of a real bird wing in flight, and is made possible with the soft foam board used in the construction (I used Elmers foam board for the wings). I did some tests and calculations to confirm the force required to deflect the warperons only uses about 1/4 the torque available from the HXT900 servos driving them, including flight loads.

6. The wing was reinforced with two strips (top and bottom) of 12K CF tow, epoxied into very shallow "trenches" in the foam for more strength. I also extended the body side doublers all the way back to the wing TE for more strength and rigidity. The wing was secured in place with extra plastic wing securement hardware left over from my GWS P-40 (doubled pinned LE and double bolted TE). I plan to install a stripped-down JAZZ HDV178 camera in the belly of the bird for some AV flying later.

The power system is an SK 400XT outrunner from Hobby Lobby and a 1200-1300 mAh 3S lipo.

Following are some photos of the build showing these mods. Here is a video of the control surface set-up showing the warperon action. And finally, here is a video of the maiden flight, which was not without some drama All my planes must first prove airworthy before I bother to paint them, so my eagle was all white in these pics and videos. But it has now earned it's flight feathers, and will next be painted to look a little more realistic.

<EDIT> I did some follow-up tuning flights to get my eagle more zeroed in, and though my findings might be helpful to others, so I'm inserting them here.

The battery is now in an epoxied foam box with enough velcro battery restraint to lift an elephant! The pack was also moved forward about 1/4 in. The CG is now 2-1/4 in. aft of the wing (56 in. span) LE at the wing root. This is a better CG location, eliminating the mild porpoising at lower throttle settings and giving a shallow power-off dead stick descent. I get nice smooth level flight at 1/3-1/2 throttle. A dive test afterwards confirmed it is very slightly on the nose heavy side. I tried to fly it inverted to further test the CG, but it is virtually impossible to hold it there (my Estarter with floats is easier!). So, this seems to be the sweet spot for CG on this airframe. And I tried every severe high negative G maneuver the eagle could muster, and the battery didn't budge. Mission accomplished!

I tried my flaperons (set at 30%), first with no elevator correction, starting at very high altitude because others said the eagle dives with flaperons on. That's a bit of an understatement... I'd call it more of a Kamikaze descent! But I was ready for it, and quickly switched them off. This is no surprise... a lifting wing inherently generates a pitch-down moment, and with such a short tail moment on this bird shape, there was little to counteract it. I landed and set 30% up elevator when flaperons are engaged... back up... way too much correction. Repeated with 20% elevator. It was now more flyable at very slow speeds, but I ended the test for now. The eagle lands pretty slow without flaperons, so I'll do more testing later. <EDIT> I later found 18% elevator was about right. <EDIT>

Tip feather exposure to breakage was nil (when landed upright! ), as I expected, as long as the bird can be brought in reasonably level. All my landings were nice wet-grass sliders, and the eagle stayed balanced on it's wide belly every time, even after coming to a stop! The wing tips never touched the ground at all.

Next I addressed the steep-climb-mild-left-turn-under-power trait of my eagle. The down-right thrust I built into the fire wall was not enough to counter this, but I intentionally didn't put in too much and risk over compensating. I also would rather tune the right amount of correction using the TX than repeatedly disassembling and trying different spacers under the motor firewall X-mount I used. The V-tail arrangement posed some new problems but offered some new solutions. Since one side of the tail is on the rudder channel and the other on the elevator channel, a mix of the throttle stick to both servos requires two Pmixes to make them both respond to throttle movement (the Pmix bypasses the V-tail mixing in the TX). This turned out to be a benefit. With just the right side (looking from behind) of the V-tail deflected down (and to the right), this pushes the tail up and to the left, so it gives the same effect as adding both down and right thrust to the motor. The V-tail also induces a left rolling force in this situation, but it is so small with no authority on a bird this size as to be negligible. Bottom line is I was able to neutralize the steep climbing mild left turn tendency with just the one tail control surface mix. It's not perfect... it slightly under corrects the climb and over corrects the turn, so now at WOT I get much shallower climb with slight right turn. But at half throttle hand launches the bird pretty much flies straight out of my hand and maintains the launch angle. At some point I may tweak in another Pmix on the other half of the V-tail, but this addresses most of the flying I'll do with only minor stick correction needed at WOT.

I'm now ready give the eagle her final dress colors. I'll get some better video once that is all done. <EDIT>

<ANOTHER EDIT>I installed my stripped down JAZZ HDV camcorder in the belly of the bird for AV use. Details on that are here. <EDIT>
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Last edited by Tom Frank; Jun 16, 2009 at 03:04 PM. Reason: Added more flight test tuning info
Old May 09, 2009, 01:49 AM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,110 Posts
Welcome to the Eagle club Tom. Now...where are you going to mount a camera?
Can't see your video yet...it's still being processed. I left my Eagle all white for the first several flights. It too has earned its feathers.

Speaking of feathers...on my first flight after painting, I was going for some altitude when fellow fliers menioned there was a hawk coming my way. Sure enough, a big one, almost twice the wingspan of my 42" Eagle came over to circle above me. I was waiting for the 'bird strike', but I think the noise Little Screamer motor in my Eagle kept him at bay. I've now installed a HC motor, which doesn't seem a whole lot quieter, but I'm hoping it'll be a little more muted in flight now.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 09, 2009, 02:04 AM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,442 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic
Welcome to the Eagle club Tom. Now...where are you going to mount a camera?
Can't see your video yet...it's still being processed. I left my Eagle all white for the first several flights. It too has earned its feathers.

Speaking of feathers...on my first flight after painting, I was going for some altitude when fellow fliers menioned there was a hawk coming my way. Sure enough, a big one, almost twice the wingspan of my 42" Eagle came over to circle above me. I was waiting for the 'bird strike', but I think the noise Little Screamer motor in my Eagle kept him at bay. I've now installed a HC motor, which doesn't seem a whole lot quieter, but I'm hoping it'll be a little more muted in flight now.
I'm having to re-encode and upload the video... XR said they could not process the one I uploaded, which was strange since it was a WMM file and played fine all the way through on my PC. But the WMM video bit rate was higher than normal (over 12,000 kpbs!) for some reason. I plan to put my JAZZ camera (stripped of case and LCD) at the CG point in the body, mounted at an angle with the lens inverted at the bottom, shooting through a hole in the belly of the bird.

My maiden flight had some unexpected action, but not a close encounter of the bird kind! I know that will come as soon as I get the bird painted.
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old May 09, 2009, 05:10 AM
Lakeville Minnesota
Lakeville MN
Joined Oct 2008
514 Posts
Probably the best "maiden" video I have seen so far! Excellent dialog and good straight on shots of it flying. And, a great job on the construction. I will say that the climbing is most likely inherent. My EPP Flyparty Eagle does the same thing, even under slight throttle. It just doesn't like to fly fast what so ever

Good stuff, and thanks for sharing. May you be blessed with many journey's to the clouds

Steve
Lakeville MN
SailingAlong is offline Find More Posts by SailingAlong
Old May 09, 2009, 07:49 AM
New Hampshire-seacoast area
Joined Jun 2005
1,755 Posts
Great mods you made to the eagle Tom! I like your cf tow strips and ailerons. Do you now think that you can do away with the rudder function of the tail feathers?

The last tiime out with mine, I was in a hurry and stuck in a battery that had no velcro strip ( I removed it so it would fit in my TM400) I pressed it down on the velcro strip in the eagle thinking it secure, and after a bit it I looped it hard and tight, watching the battery eject like yous did!! And had the same effect-- couldn't fly uprite, but dead sticked it inverted just fine with tips broken at the end.

Did you just score the fanfold for the aileron hindges?

Thanks for posting the vid, like the head cam hat!
praymond is offline Find More Posts by praymond