SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 11, 2009, 04:42 PM
PunchDrunk ex-Pug try'n fly'n
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Jan 2009
1,014 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee
For those of you who are on the customer list by having ordered EPP Peregrines before TJ is offering a $20 discount for the first plane to say thank you for your support.
Lee
Awesome offer guys. Sounds hard to resist.
Thought of EDF?
jp
jp.electrik is offline Find More Posts by jp.electrik
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 11, 2009, 06:06 PM
Look outside the Square
Gosford, Australia
Joined Jan 2006
2,620 Posts
Hi Lee, one of the fella's in Spain, Helix built a Dirty Birdy, ( Chicken Pear in Spainish ) and did a great Job. His mate Cefesky did a video of it flying off the cliff tops of Alsante. http://nasgul.blogspot.com/2009/04/pollo-pera.html
When you see the Birds flying near the snow covered mountains in your neck of the woods or of a cliff top in Spain or where ever they look an absolute treat to watch .

B x
Boxhead is offline Find More Posts by Boxhead
Old Apr 11, 2009, 09:43 PM
Out the Window
United States, FL, Alachua
Joined Jul 2004
1,277 Posts
Crash of My FFF Eagle

Here is a short video of me crashing my FFF Eagle. I played around with the CG and with the right and down thrust quite a while. Well I finally got it set so it was flying great. It was flying great, but not me! A lapse in depth perception on my part. I was sure I was going around the light post....well you will see in the video.

Anyway my build with the KFm/Clark Y airfoil worked best with about 4 degrees right thrust and about 10.5 degrees down thrust. It still wanted to climb at full power..but not bad with the added down thrust. A little down elevator when adding power and it worked great.

In my last post I mentioned thinking that moving the motor out farther from the wing and up would be something I might like to try. Maybe that was my undoing! Now I can easily redo the motor area....it needs rebuilding anyway. It hit hard enough to shatter the plywood firewall but it must have been square as it did not even break the prop. Lucky that the wing did not get damaged. Lots of time in painting it.

Ray

Crash of My FFF Eagle (2 min 26 sec)
High Flyin' is offline Find More Posts by High Flyin'
Old Apr 12, 2009, 09:36 AM
Long time newbie
USA, TX, Katy
Joined Nov 2006
976 Posts
Wing polyhedral?

When I see the vultures flying around my house the wing profile looks like the black line below. Why are most of the bird wings done here built like the red line? I'm getting ready to put mine together and am considering trying the black line polyhedral. Thanks for any comments.

Mike K
heymak is offline Find More Posts by heymak
Old Apr 12, 2009, 09:38 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heymak
When I see the vultures flying around my house the wing profile looks like the black line below. Why are most of the bird wings done here built like the red line? I'm getting ready to put mine together and am considering trying the black line polyhedral. Thanks for any comments.

Mike K
It has more to do with keeping it strong and stability than appearance. Birds have such complex abilities and wings that we will never be able to copy them. We do the best we can.
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Old Apr 12, 2009, 09:45 AM
metro Detroit, MI
Joined Jan 2007
193 Posts
Great video!. DO you have any plans or build pictures to post?
Thanks...arniep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefalconhollan
Billwhit..excelent picture with the hawks on the back!

I've put a cam on my falcon too yesterday:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=309TR...el_page&fmt=18
arniep is offline Find More Posts by arniep
Old Apr 12, 2009, 02:13 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Flyin'
Here is a short video of me crashing my FFF Eagle.
Bummer. But that's really not your fault. After all, that big, brown, how could you miss that, light pole was barely visible! The overall damage doesn't look that bad though.

I just finished my 42" Eagle this morning. I'll have to wait until next weekend to maiden (winds permitting), I'm setting my starting CG around 1.75" from the LE. I'm going to hold off painting until after the maiden...just in case.
Vantasstic is offline Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 13, 2009, 04:46 PM
Boffin
Victoria, BC, Canada
Joined Apr 2001
3,397 Posts
Quote:

Mike K
Different birds have different wings. Turkey Vultures have a deep V with no difference on the tips while Bald Eagles are almost flat with upturned tips. I've never seen a bird soar like you drew, but I've never been to Texas

Actually Osprey sometimes glide with anhedral but they rarely soar.

Rick.
rpage53 is offline Find More Posts by rpage53
Old Apr 13, 2009, 06:56 PM
Long time newbie
USA, TX, Katy
Joined Nov 2006
976 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpage53
Different birds have different wings. Turkey Vultures have a deep V with no difference on the tips while Bald Eagles are almost flat with upturned tips. I've never seen a bird soar like you drew, but I've never been to Texas

Actually Osprey sometimes glide with anhedral but they rarely soar.

Rick.
Yeah, I went out and took a longer look at the vultures flying. The only time there wings looked even close to what I drew is while they were flapping. Soaring they are for the most part tips up, along with some other adjustment that can't be duplicated with this model.

Thanks for the picture.

Mike K

P.S. By the looks of your picture we must have turkey vultures here.
heymak is offline Find More Posts by heymak
Old Apr 13, 2009, 07:46 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,240 Posts
Quote:

P.S. By the looks of your picture we must have turkey vultures here.
My, still yet to take flight, 42" eagle looks more like the Black Vulture. Hopefully after it commits aviation it'll still look like the Black Vulture.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 13, 2009, 09:49 PM
Joined Jan 2009
1,014 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee
Birds have such complex abilities and wings that we will never be able to copy them. We do the best we can.
This may be the larger issue. Let me look through all the photos I have compiled of the Peregrine alone. One species showing countless wing and tail configurations. Truly inspiring!
I have seen a bird soaring with the polyhedral wing as drawn earlier. Usually in a landing type of maneuver. Although, that is not soaring in the strictest sense.
If you study closely you will see the varieties of anhedral, dihedral, polyhedral, reflex, sweep, and a host of other terms I am not yet familiar with. All of which are mans feeble attempts to understand/explain Gods/Natures handiwork.
I have been more interested lately as to which application the bird is using a particular configuration. jp

BTW: my son asked me the other day if real birds ever "Go In?" (he knows we don't use the "C"rash word)
Too much!
Last edited by jp.electrik; Apr 13, 2009 at 10:20 PM.
Old Apr 18, 2009, 04:22 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,240 Posts
I maidened my 42" Eagle today. It was breezier than I would have liked, but I couldn't wait any longer. Mine is powered by a Little Screamer Purple Peril (1550kV) motor on 2S 640mAh, with a 7x4 prop. The motor lives up to its name...it screams. Kinda takes away from the bird in flight look with all that noise. It's what I had on hand so I used it. Anyone have recommendations for a QUIET motor for the 42" Eagle?

I'm happy to report my flights went well. First flight had it wanting to climb under power. After landing I mixed in some down elevator with the throttle and it stays more level now. I also had to increase my elevator throw. My rudder control is pretty weak. I'll have to bump that up too. I added ailerons on mine and they seem to work just fine. With the ailerons, I reduced the wing tip dihedral by about half. It seems like it could use the extra dihedral as it was rocking back and forth a little. That's easy enough to add back in. I had no issues with turning as others have reported. My Eagle turns left and right with no problems. Now it's time to try a decorate it. An all white eagle looks a little odd. Overall I'm very happy with it. It is unique and will look awesome painted and with a QUIET power system.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 18, 2009, 04:32 PM
Joined Jan 2009
1,014 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic
Overall I'm very happy with it.
Congrats...V!!!!
jp
Old Apr 18, 2009, 08:43 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,081 Posts
I took out two new Peregrines today. One is the old airfoil and one is the new. I had an angry hawk floating around and I took some time to try to get his opinion. I think he liked them. Everyone asks which I like best.
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Old Apr 18, 2009, 08:51 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,625 Posts
JP looking at your cool pics reminded me of a sight I saw today coming back to MI from OH on I-75, Just south of Perrysburg I happened to look to the right and saw a big hawk cruising below me! He was flying about 2 ft off the grass on the shoulder, looking for mice I'd guess, must have been 3'+ wingspan, The first time I think I've ever seen the top of a flying hawk!
springer is offline Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member