HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 05, 2009, 06:04 PM
USA, IN, Nineveh
Joined Apr 2002
2,404 Posts
This is not really a scratch built since The Mad Spadder is cutting the kits now. But I wanted to show you my macaw.
The thread is here.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1#post11962069

Tim
tdearth is offline Find More Posts by tdearth
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 05, 2009, 08:13 PM
More Motors, More Fun... :-)
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Jan 2008
685 Posts
Control Throws for the EPP Peregrine Falcon

Hi Lee,

I've searched for recommended control throws for the EPP Falcon but I can't find them on this thread.

Can you give starting throws for the ailerons and elevator? An angle, if available, would be fine too.

Really enjoying your kit, I recommend it to others, it saves ALOT of work.

Thanks,

Nick
nioa is offline Find More Posts by nioa
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: VQ Models T-34 Mentor 61.4"...
Old Apr 06, 2009, 01:13 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,016 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nioa
Hi Lee,

I've searched for recommended control throws for the EPP Falcon but I can't find them on this thread.

Can you give starting throws for the ailerons and elevator? An angle, if available, would be fine too.

Really enjoying your kit, I recommend it to others, it saves ALOT of work.

Thanks,

Nick
Nick

TJ does a good job cutting the plane. Thanks for the compliment.

I reflux the elevons and trim them both up about 1/8". This is to compensate for the "flying wing" tendency of the plane. I have the ailerons go about 3/4" +/- and the elevator about the same. The elevator is sensitive and being so big to get the look needs to solid in linkage. I am using a HS81 servo on the elevator and some hxt900s on the ailerons. I use a Spektrum 6100e receiver with a TP 1300 mA lipoly.

I set my planes up to be fairly aerobatic which has intimidated some of the new flyers. It doesn't have to be set up that way. A few flyers have reduced the amount of moving surface by cutting down the ailerons. I showed how to do this back a couple of months.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=443

Either way the plane flies well if the CG is right and the plane has solid linkages. Because the EPP Peregrine is swept forward the CG is only about 1" back from the center of the wing. Any forward swept plane does not like to fly if it is tail heavy.

I like the solid 1.9 lb EPP fuselages. Part of it is because I am lazy but even more is because of how every foam plane I have built with a built up foam fuse has ripped the fuse apart with normal use and landings. Maybe my normal use is rougher than your normal use but I have had positive feedback from people who are suprised how light and strong it is.

Lee
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Last edited by Lee; Apr 06, 2009 at 01:46 AM.
Old Apr 07, 2009, 10:25 AM
Flying high
Seattle, Wa
Joined Dec 2002
2,263 Posts
Well, I was starting to worry that the Eagle plane just wasn't working our for me. But I finally got things worked out and now I love this plane!

To anyone trying to decide I would now recommend the larger 56" version. I started with the 42" eagle for transportation purposes, the 56" Eagle is my largest and heaviest plane. But my 42" version was just a little too squirrelly for me. My friends even said it's looks like an eagle other than the way it flies. The 56" version flies just like I wanted and looks great, even if it does just barely fit in my car.

I guess it seems like my problems turning right must have been COG related. I still have a bit more right trim that I would like so I must not have enough right thrust, but I flies well trimmed.

I am using a 1300kv BW and it's by no ways overpowered, I would imagine that some would want more. But it's perfect for what I was looking for and can still loop from level flight. It's great for taking up really high and just gliding around in nice smooth circles just like the real thing. It's nice and stable and can fly for a long time. This video is from Sunday, but I spent a hew hours flying it yesterday and I didn't want to put it down. Once I get it up nice and high I just sit at about 1/2 throttle and glide around. The BW motor is nice and quiet too.

I flew my aerial camera in it yesterday as well, but I don't have the video posted yet. I even had my first flight with a couple of Hawks. First I saw one and it wouldn't have anything to do with my and dove away quickly. Then once it met up with a buddy they came and checked me out. No one was agressive, they just circled around and checked me out for a while. Unfortunately I didn't get that video ( don't ask). My aerial cam is HD so the video I do have is too large to post, I have to work on that.

Anyway, my eagle has changed from a plane I didn't think I would fly much to one that will be one of my favorites! The video starts out a little slow with high soaring, but I finish off with a few loops and then some low slow flybys.

Remote Controlled Eagle in Flight (3 min 55 sec)
billwhit is offline Find More Posts by billwhit
Old Apr 07, 2009, 01:13 PM
Flying high
Seattle, Wa
Joined Dec 2002
2,263 Posts
I'm so happy, I was able to recover the video I lost! It's too big to post to vimeo as it is though. Now that I have an HD cam I have to deal with larger file sizes! I'll post it when I can, but for now here is a screenshot.
Old Apr 07, 2009, 02:40 PM
Exmouth, Devon, UK
Joined Dec 2004
391 Posts
There's an old saying: 'The bigger the bird, the better it flies.' Looks like there might be something in that after all. Nice one! Great shot, too.
brantley is offline Find More Posts by brantley
Old Apr 07, 2009, 09:14 PM
Joined Dec 2006
1,185 Posts
[QUOTE=billwhit]Well, I was starting to worry that the Eagle plane just wasn't working our for me. But I finally got things worked out and now I love this plane!

You did an outstanding job with this bird. The way it flies is awesome. You have every right to be proud of this build. It is magnificent.
Dickeroo is offline Find More Posts by Dickeroo
Old Apr 08, 2009, 01:38 AM
Blue Falcon
the Netherlands
Joined Jan 2007
707 Posts
Billwhit..excelent picture with the hawks on the back!

I've put a cam on my falcon too yesterday:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=309TR...el_page&fmt=18
bluefalconhollan is offline Find More Posts by bluefalconhollan
Old Apr 08, 2009, 10:14 AM
Flying high
Seattle, Wa
Joined Dec 2002
2,263 Posts
Thanks for the compliments and to everyone that has contributed to the thread. The combination of everyones trial and error really helps to make things fun and easier to understand.

Someone turned me onto a site that will let you download as much HD video as you want. So here are the links to the aerial videos I took with my eagle.

This is the one where I flew with the hawks. The come in and out of frame about half way through. The video gets a little wavy at times from the camera vibrating, I am going to mount it better for next time.

http://exposureroom.com/bigeagle

The camera was more stable in this video. It was a beautiful day and I got some good shots of the Cascade Mountains, the Olympic Mountains and the Puget sound. If you look you can see Mt Rainier and Mt Hood too.

http://exposureroom.com/eagleflight
Old Apr 08, 2009, 10:15 AM
Flying high
Seattle, Wa
Joined Dec 2002
2,263 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefalconhollan
Billwhit..excelent picture with the hawks on the back!

I've put a cam on my falcon too yesterday:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=309TR...el_page&fmt=18
Cool video! The flapping wings shake the camera around, don't they? Do other birds ever chase yours?
Old Apr 09, 2009, 02:24 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,016 Posts
The EPP Peregrine has a newly designed wing in the kit. To the untrained eye most wouldn't know anything has changed. The plane maintains it's great falcon silhouette. The body and the tail will remain the same.

We have listened to customer feedback and done experimentation and testing we are confident in making an upgrade that will make the EPP Peregrine more durable and more stable in flight. Testing has shown the new thicker wing to be just as aerobatic as the old wing.

The new wing offers an improvement in slow speed handling, wing strength and durability. The aileron hinge line is more protected. The wing tip is now thicker EPP foam allowing for a thicker aileron connection to the wing.

The price will remain the same. The kit is still $69.95 plus $8.50 S/H. For those of you who are on the customer list by having ordered EPP Peregrines before TJ is offering a $20 discount for the first plane to say thank you for your support.

Lee
Old Apr 11, 2009, 05:32 AM
Joined Nov 2005
25 Posts
Sorry if I missed the thread but does anyone know of a bird plane with EDF design?
Don fairview2001 is offline Find More Posts by Don fairview2001
Old Apr 11, 2009, 08:03 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,016 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don fairview2001
Sorry if I missed the thread but does anyone know of a bird plane with EDF design?
Haven't seen one maybe you can be the first.

I was these photos and couldn't resist posting a link. Nature sure has a way of humbling us.

http://www.komar.org/faq/colorado-red-tailed-hawk/

http://www.peregrine-foundation.ca/r...NYidguide.html
Last edited by Lee; Apr 11, 2009 at 10:44 AM.
Old Apr 11, 2009, 02:29 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,126 Posts
Quote:
No, but I have seen an EDF shark plane.
Vantasstic is offline Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 11, 2009, 04:40 PM
PunchDrunk ex-Pug try'n fly'n
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Jan 2009
1,014 Posts
Quote:
No, sure is in mind though jp
jp.electrik is offline Find More Posts by jp.electrik