SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Mar 30, 2009, 07:10 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Vantasstic's Avatar
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,264 Posts
I'm soon ready to start cutting out my 42" Eagle. I was planning on adding ailerons with the tips angled up. I think I'll pass on that and leave the wings flat with the ailerons...or perhaps just a tad bit of dihedral in the tips to they don't look perfectly flat. What motors are people using on the 42" version...mostly I'm looking for preferred kV and prop size.
Vantasstic is offline Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 31, 2009, 08:06 AM
Registered User
suffolk u.k.
Joined Dec 2001
32 Posts
no right turn

i've made a flying wing type bird with ailerons and elevator it does not want to turn right either. i have just increased the throws and wil try again. goes left ok. glides ok looking for ideas
bearsa is offline Find More Posts by bearsa
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2009, 09:52 AM
Flying high
billwhit's Avatar
Seattle, Wa
Joined Dec 2002
2,263 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic
I'm soon ready to start cutting out my 42" Eagle. I was planning on adding ailerons with the tips angled up. I think I'll pass on that and leave the wings flat with the ailerons...or perhaps just a tad bit of dihedral in the tips to they don't look perfectly flat. What motors are people using on the 42" version...mostly I'm looking for preferred kV and prop size.
I am using an ele20 2500kv with a 6x3 prop. It's plenty of power for me, like other have said mine wants to nose up after half throttle but it will cruise around at 1/4 throttle fine.

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=5432

I'll be interested to know how the ailerons work for you. I can probably cut the tips off mine an reattach them straight, but I'd rather no until I know it will help.
billwhit is offline Find More Posts by billwhit
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2009, 09:54 AM
Flying high
billwhit's Avatar
Seattle, Wa
Joined Dec 2002
2,263 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsa
i've made a flying wing type bird with ailerons and elevator it does not want to turn right either. i have just increased the throws and wil try again. goes left ok. glides ok looking for ideas
Good luck! The throws on mine are huge and it still wouldn't budge right...
billwhit is offline Find More Posts by billwhit
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2009, 11:38 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
Lee's Avatar
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,102 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billwhit
Good luck! The throws on mine are huge and it still wouldn't budge right...
Your turning into the prop torque. When it glides does it turn to the right?
Lee is online now Find More Posts by Lee
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2009, 06:41 PM
Out the Window
High Flyin''s Avatar
United States, FL, Alachua
Joined Jul 2004
1,278 Posts
Another try with my FFF Eagle

I made some changes on my FFF Eagle and did a test fly yesterday. It made a huge improvement in the way it flys. It will turn to the right much better. Maybe not a quickly as to the left, but a big improvement. I thought I would post the changes and maybe it will help others with similar problems.

I set up the eagle on my building table and leveled the horizontal stabilizer carefully. The wing was not level with the horizontal stab, but was higher on the left wing. My quick fix was to cut out the wing seat on the left side of the fuse about 1/8 of an inch. I also gave the motor more down and right thrust. It now has about 4.75 degrees of down and maybe 3 of right thrust.

When I went to fly, I made sure my batteries were as far forward as possible thinking that the CG was too far to the rear. After the first flight with a 2s 800mAh battery, I taped a weight to the top of the eagle's head. That seemed to improve the flight. I also tried a 3s 800 mAh battery ( heavier ) in the nose and it did help some, but still wants to climb on over about 1/2 throttle. It had lots of power to cruise around and would probably make a great combo as at 1/2 throttle the battery should fly for a long time. I wonder if I can mix in a little down elevator with increased throttle with my computer radio?? It works fine to give a little down elevator when increasing throttle. It is surprising to me how much zip the eagle has with the "Blue Wonder" motor! A full fuse, a 42" wing with up to 3 layers, some wood reinforcements, paint, etc. and still lots of zip with a 8 inch prop.

I am posting a video of my first flight with a the 2s battery. It is a unedited flight. I did take out some passing dump truck noise and put some nice music in the background.

A great improvement over my last flights, but maybe some more down and right thrust would be good to try. After looking at the video I had another idea. When the airplane is level the motor seems like it could be mounted higher in relation to the wing. Also the wing tips are not at right angles to the wing. As they go back they come in closer to the body. This is what the plan shows, but I am thinking that may cause some drag toward the top of the airplane. With that drag and the motor hanging below the drag.....maybe that relationship would cause the airplane to want to climb under lots of power...what do you think?

If I were to build another FFF Eagle I might try to change the following. 1. make the neck a little longer to get the motor out farther for balance 2.Raise the head a little on the plan to make it closer to the level of the wing. 3. Bend the wing tips so they do not cause drag on the wing. These 3 ideas are not from any knowledge of flight...just a gut feeling.

Oh well, it is fun to try different things and see what happens. The design does make a fun flyer and looks great in the air.

Let me know what you think!
Ray

Second Flight of FFF Eagle (2 min 50 sec)
High Flyin' is offline Find More Posts by High Flyin'
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2009, 10:45 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
Lee's Avatar
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,102 Posts
Great looking plane Ray!!!

You may laugh but it might fly better flying faster. We tend to slow planes down to near stall, especially some designs like the birds, and then we wonder what is wrong.

To shift the CG forward on the Peregrine I replaced the BW1300 with a BP21 rather than adding weight. they both fit in the same motor mount. I did it for the weight but love the power. It's cool having a bird that will do vertical performance. It really freaks out the eagles and hawks.

I have friends trying to get me back into flight school to study the left stick on my transmitter and how to use it. Hey what's wrong with WOT. If you got it why not use it.
Lee is online now Find More Posts by Lee
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 01, 2009, 06:56 AM
Registered User
Joined Sep 2004
82 Posts
Brantley
Pingwin doesn't actually take off vertically although it can be launched at a fairly steep angle. One other launch technique is to hold it by the scruff of the neck and toss it forwards and upwards. There should be a video of it up before too long.
Gordon Cook is offline Find More Posts by Gordon Cook
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 01, 2009, 03:51 PM
Registered User
brantley's Avatar
Exmouth, Devon, UK
Joined Dec 2004
391 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Cook
One other launch technique is to hold it by the scruff of the neck and toss it forwards and upwards. There should be a video of it up before too long.
Cool, I am well practised in that technique - that's how I put the cat out at night.
brantley is offline Find More Posts by brantley
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 01, 2009, 04:12 PM
Registered User
brantley's Avatar
Exmouth, Devon, UK
Joined Dec 2004
391 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee
You may laugh but it might fly better flying faster. We tend to slow planes down to near stall, especially some designs like the birds, and then we wonder what is wrong.
Agreed. I put a 3s pack in mine, mixed in some down elevator to the throttle and let her rip. She really came alive and has a surprisingly wide speed range. The wing-tips make a cool whistling noise when doing a low, full-speed pass.
brantley is offline Find More Posts by brantley
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 01, 2009, 06:49 PM
Out the Window
High Flyin''s Avatar
United States, FL, Alachua
Joined Jul 2004
1,278 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee
Great looking plane Ray!!!

You may laugh but it might fly better flying faster. We tend to slow planes down to near stall, especially some designs like the birds, and then we wonder what is wrong.

To shift the CG forward on the Peregrine I replaced the BW1300 with a BP21 rather than adding weight. they both fit in the same motor mount. I did it for the weight but love the power. It's cool having a bird that will do vertical performance. It really freaks out the eagles and hawks.

I have friends trying to get me back into flight school to study the left stick on my transmitter and how to use it. Hey what's wrong with WOT. If you got it why not use it.
Thanks Lee for the compliment. I will not be able to get up much more speed until I figure out the nose up when adding throttle. At my age and flying ability....slow is my friend. It is easy to go faster than my ability and mind-hand coordination!

After using both a 2s with 9" prop and a 3s with 8" prop, it is fun to have the extra power. I can only use it on loops, but it is quick at that. I need to learn how to do a little throttle/elevator mixing with my Futaba computer radio.

I just saw a video of another Eagle out of EPP....looks interesting. Here is the link: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=56749 Maybe we could talk him into adding some information to this thread. His seems to be a fast bird!

Ray
High Flyin' is offline Find More Posts by High Flyin'
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 03, 2009, 04:20 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
Lee's Avatar
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,102 Posts
We are in the process of updating the Peregrine Kit.

As many of you know we also cut flying wings for combat. Ever since we started this design I have kept picking up one of the combat wing cores and putting it on the fuselage and trying to make it fit. After a great deal of frustration we designed a new cutter and modified the airfoil and now have a wing that has a thicker wingtip. We are building and almost ready to fly the first prototype. This will make the plane particularly good if you want to knock down a building and should also slow it down for all you folks that don't fly like a maniac.

I wish I could find a variation for the front mount motor. I would put the motor in the back if I could figure out how but there seems to be a tail back there.

I was out flying in the wind yesterday and had a smaller falcon or hawk tracking me when I was flying one of the flying wings. I landed and took off with the EPP Peregrine and he came in fast at first. I thought we would have an attack on the plane but after I did a steep climb out and some loops and rolls he had had enough and headed out. I like it when the birds fly with my plane. There are a lot of seagulls around here and they don't appreciate the EPP Peregrine.
Lee is online now Find More Posts by Lee
Last edited by Lee; Apr 03, 2009 at 04:27 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 03, 2009, 04:46 AM
PunchDrunk ex-Pug try'n fly'n
jp.electrik's Avatar
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Jan 2009
1,014 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee
This will make the plane particularly good if you want to knock down a building and
Count me in!
At last a flying wing version of the Falcon?
jp
jp.electrik is offline Find More Posts by jp.electrik
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 03, 2009, 09:18 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
Lee's Avatar
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,102 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp.electrik
Count me in!
At last a flying wing version of the Falcon?
jp
It still looks like the falcon. We have used the same fuse and tail. The wing is thicker stiffer and stronger and is a little broader at the tip. The biggest difference is increased thickness at the tip of the wing.

If you have an idea for a flying wing that looks like a bird post some drawings and I will see if we can figure it out.
Lee is online now Find More Posts by Lee
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 03, 2009, 05:47 PM
PunchDrunk ex-Pug try'n fly'n
jp.electrik's Avatar
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Jan 2009
1,014 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee
It still looks like the falcon. We have used the same fuse and tail. The wing is thicker stiffer and stronger and is a little broader at the tip. The biggest difference is increased thickness at the tip of the wing.

If you have an idea for a flying wing that looks like a bird post some drawings and I will see if we can figure it out.

Maybe EDF? jp
jp.electrik is offline Find More Posts by jp.electrik
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Why aren`t most foam planes made with EPP or equivalent. Scarey Foamy EDFs 1 Jul 24, 2007 10:20 PM
Planes Built With EPP And Depron. What Would Be Your Favorite. jbj620 3D Flying 10 Dec 05, 2004 07:06 AM
Rave Before n After My new war bird P-51 Mustang(EPP) powder Slope 22 Aug 22, 2003 01:27 PM
hey guys if yous are looking for arf war bird planes seafire Foamies (Kits) 5 Mar 10, 2002 05:41 PM