HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 27, 2009, 10:59 AM
Flying high
Seattle, Wa
Joined Dec 2002
2,263 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee
I am in the process of drawing up the plans for the EPP Peregrine. The plane kit is fairly complex and it takes a complex foam cutter to cut it. This makes plans hard to draw. We are expermenting with a couple of changes to make the kit easier to build.

A simplier KF version may be a good idea and a popular plane on this wide open forum. I would not be offended if someone wants to draw up a KF version of the Peregrine. My experience with the KF is that it would fly well and be a popular scratchbuild but probably not be as aerobatic as the full airfoil.

Lee
Great, thanks! The peregrine does look like a more complex build, but I guess that's why I asked. Thought it might be a fun challenge. I might try it with a KF, maybe you have an outline of the wing?

I had a lot of fun building the 42" version so I decided to go ahead and make a 58" one. The smaller one is easier to transport and can take the load of my camera ok, but it seems like the larger wingspan might make it easier to keep things steady, and it's closer to the size of a real eagle. I glues the wings together last night and it's big! It will be my biggest plane, but it make me smile to look at it so it will be cool.
billwhit is offline Find More Posts by billwhit
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 27, 2009, 11:08 AM
Flying high
Seattle, Wa
Joined Dec 2002
2,263 Posts
I thought I would post this video too. I guess it's a bit off topic since it wasn't taken in the Eagle plane, but it's take with the camera that I will be using. Also, a bird did come up and check me out during flight. I didn't get him on camera as much as I wanted, but about half way through I did get a few quick shots. He circled back a few times and checked me out, I can't wait to get everything ironed out with the eagle and get video with it.

I just got the camera too. It's a VadoHD and only weighs 3.5 Oz. I had the original Vado, it's about the same size but the HD one has much better quality video. Hope you guys don't mind, I wont post another aerial video unless it's from my Eagle plane!

VadoHD Shoreview Park (6 min 7 sec)
Old Mar 27, 2009, 01:04 PM
metro Detroit, MI
Joined Jan 2007
193 Posts
Wing attachment consensus?

Lee and everybody:
What are you using as the preferred method for easy-on easy-off method of attaching the wing to the body, other than rubber bands? Pictures if you have them would be helpful.
Thanks....arniep
arniep is offline Find More Posts by arniep
Old Mar 27, 2009, 01:29 PM
Flying high
Seattle, Wa
Joined Dec 2002
2,263 Posts
I am using industrial strength Velcro. It holds good and lets you reposition the wing if needed.
Last edited by billwhit; Mar 27, 2009 at 05:49 PM.
Old Mar 27, 2009, 02:26 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arniep
Lee and everybody:
What are you using as the preferred method for easy-on easy-off method of attaching the wing to the body, other than rubber bands? Pictures if you have them would be helpful.
Thanks....arniep
I'm using the Industrial Strength Velcro from Walmart. It holds even with the loops and rolls.
Lee is online now Find More Posts by Lee
Old Mar 27, 2009, 03:51 PM
metro Detroit, MI
Joined Jan 2007
193 Posts
I am not familiar with Zelcro. But on the Velcro, are you using anything other than its own 'stickum' to enhance its holding power?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee
I'm using the Industrial Strength Velcro from Walmart. It holds even with the loops and rolls.
arniep is offline Find More Posts by arniep
Old Mar 27, 2009, 05:53 PM
Flying high
Seattle, Wa
Joined Dec 2002
2,263 Posts
Never heard of Zelcro...where have you been?

Yeah, it was a typo. I have had success with the glue that comes on it as long as you don't try to stick it on a painted surface, part the the industrial strength part is the glue. But it really depends on the surface you are trying to stick it to. In spots where I didn't get good adhesion I just put a dap of Gorilla glue in between and it's on for good.
Old Mar 27, 2009, 07:54 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arniep
Velcro, are you using anything other than its own 'stickum' to enhance its holding power?
I have used hot glue and CA glue before.

Lee
Lee is online now Find More Posts by Lee
Old Mar 27, 2009, 09:37 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,499 Posts
Excuse my ignorance. I recently found this thread and d/l the 42" eagle plans. I've seen mention of KF here. What is KF?
Vantasstic is online now Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 27, 2009, 10:04 PM
PunchDrunk ex-Pug try'n fly'n
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Jan 2009
1,014 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic
Excuse my ignorance. I recently found this thread and d/l the 42" eagle plans. I've seen mention of KF here. What is KF?
Kline Fogleman, Is an airfoil developed by a couple of cats from Germany,
(I think) It is a stepped airfoil. There are several variations; this will enable you to do a search. jp
jp.electrik is offline Find More Posts by jp.electrik
Old Mar 27, 2009, 10:07 PM
Steve
Denton, Tx
Joined Feb 2004
182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic

These are KF airfoils

Steve
3D52 is offline Find More Posts by 3D52
Old Mar 27, 2009, 11:39 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,499 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevepollard
These are KF airfoils

Steve
Great explanation, the diagrams really help. Thanks
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 28, 2009, 12:10 PM
Exmouth, Devon, UK
Joined Dec 2004
391 Posts
The UK mags seem to have gone bird crazy all of a sudden.
This month RC Model World has a free plan for for a vertical take-off penguin!

More info here.
brantley is offline Find More Posts by brantley
Last edited by brantley; Mar 28, 2009 at 12:25 PM.
Old Mar 28, 2009, 03:01 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,499 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brantley
The UK mags seem to have gone bird crazy all of a sudden.
This month RC Model World has a free plan for for a vertical take-off penguin!

More info here.
That's awesome. The US mags SUCK!!! The UK had free Propellasuars plans and now a flying Penguin. You guys make me jealous!!!
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 29, 2009, 09:49 AM
United States, MI, St Joseph
Joined Jan 2009
93 Posts
fff eagle

Here's my eagle almost built
wingman69 is online now Find More Posts by wingman69