HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 25, 2009, 01:59 AM
PunchDrunk ex-Pug try'n fly'n
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Jan 2009
1,014 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mad Spadder
It is not my purpose to promote our products on this thread just to share ideas and stay motivated. If I ever cross that line let me know.........
OK you crossed it, you can't show us cool stuff like your birdies and not expect all the kids to want one...... Awesome as always! Great Paint!... Is this one a docile flier like your others?
jp
jp.electrik is offline Find More Posts by jp.electrik
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 25, 2009, 02:14 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,150 Posts
People who buy products help promote new products. If we didn't have some of the support that you guys have given we wouldn't have the resources to put the effort into R&D that makes the new products.

I try to post plans for everything we sell for the scratchbuilders but the foam cutting and productions is too much for many flyers.

Most designers in this hobby aren't making much money but doing it for the enjoyment of the hobby. I have seen that the designers always have new projects on the table trying to work out the bugs. I have at least 5 planes on the workbench waiting to be put on a thread.

PS

I've been lookin for a Pigeon for the Utah Sky Trials next year to really drive the falcons nuts. it may need to have some material attached to the wing to give it the motion look of flapping.

Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Last edited by Lee; Mar 25, 2009 at 02:24 AM.
Old Mar 25, 2009, 10:48 AM
Flying high
Seattle, Wa
Joined Dec 2002
2,263 Posts
Lee,
Have you posted plans of the peregrine? I was looking around, but didn't see any.
billwhit is offline Find More Posts by billwhit
Old Mar 25, 2009, 12:55 PM
Joined Jun 2007
168 Posts
JP,We flew the birds in a small barn but they seemed very docile. I am going to fly them Thursday at the golf dome and try to get some better video. These birds would be great for kids. We crashed the 2 birds at least 20 times and only broke one prop. The biggest problem is finding props for these little 7mm pager motors off the Air Hog planes. There was also an earlier post about the dihederal in the Macaw wings. The dihederal is O degrees on the kits. We experimented with different dihederals and tryed up to 6" measured at one wing tip on the 60" version. The dihederal did increased how quickly it would turn, the downside was the birds became more sensitive and the average pilot would probably not be comfortable with the flight characteristics, but it did allow the birds to do a sloppy roll which was kind of neat. The second issue with dihederal is that it complicates the build and we wanted to keep it simple.
The Mad Spadder is offline Find More Posts by The Mad Spadder
Old Mar 25, 2009, 02:01 PM
M16 CIII/AR15/FN 2000 and PS90
United States, AR, Waldron
Joined Jan 2005
521 Posts
I live in alfalfa and hay country which comes with zillions of root munching ground squirrels. Would it be possible to install a small CO2 BB dispenser with enough momentum to do away with them: yes I know my .17HMR and various .223 colt to bushmasters are 100-100 times more efficeint just not as fun. NO BATF or other invasive big brother is watching agency's here.
Denile is online now Find More Posts by Denile
Old Mar 25, 2009, 02:01 PM
Joined Jan 2009
1,014 Posts
Quote:
.... 7mm pager motors off the Air Hog planes.....
Do you buy the plane and then rip out the motor?
jp
Old Mar 25, 2009, 02:05 PM
Joined Jan 2009
1,014 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denile
... ground squirrels. Would it be possible to install a small CO2 BB dispenser.....
On an RC Airplane!??? Very cool but hard to aim.
jp
BTW: We call those Gophers up here on the Tundra.
Check out my avatar... it is Big Bro!
Old Mar 25, 2009, 02:08 PM
Joined Jun 2007
168 Posts
jp, Bill said he looks for any Air Hog plane that has 2 motors, usually they will be pushers. Stay away from the ducted fans because the props are smaller, however they will work just not as much thrust because of the smaller prop. You will need to put the prop on backwards to get the proper thrust on the pusher motors. Be sure to look at the pitch on the prop. Bill put right thrust on one of the birds and left thrust on the other, something to do with counter rotating props if I understood him right. I am going to Walmart to see what I can find and will post more pictures when I build the next one to show how to set up proper thrust on the Air Hog motors..
Old Mar 25, 2009, 02:16 PM
Joined Jan 2009
1,014 Posts
Quote:
jp, Air Hog motors..
And these will power 16oz AUW?
jp
AHHH 16 grams OOPS my bad.
Old Mar 25, 2009, 04:26 PM
Joined Jun 2007
168 Posts
Bill said they should power up to 20 grams with the right prop.
Old Mar 26, 2009, 03:12 PM
the guy
Joined Mar 2007
192 Posts
ping wing -rc bird in flight (2 min 11 sec)

Anyone else seen the "Ping Wing"

have to say that looks brilliant, flies good too. I really wanna enlarge this same shape to what, 48" span same size as a typical epp slope soarer. What I really wanna do is get the "anhedral"(?) shape of the wings.

Definitely to make a seagull, just for realism. When you see them fly over slopes or in some wind they move their wings hardly at all, where as say an eagle has to do so more often. et least from what I have experienced personally. it would be cool to be able to have a hinge where the wing changes angle to change the wing shape. Wasn't there some special rc plane, in the news or had an article done on it that could do that? Would be perfect to achieve that.

One thing I've noticed about most of these planes though is the boxy fuselage (or should I say body). Is there a reason for it?

Edd
airDemon64 is offline Find More Posts by airDemon64
Old Mar 26, 2009, 11:08 PM
Joined Feb 2009
164 Posts
Double jointed swing wings

this thread has some really great stuff in it and have enjoyed reading through it imensely. If this has already been suggested forgive me but one of the things that makes birds really cool is how they vary the geometry of their wings and I think it would be really cool if someone made one of their bird planes with swing wings. Obviously there are 2 joints in each wing and you would need two to make swing wings look good so I came up with an idea that maybe someone can run with. I am involved in my own project so hopefully someone else will tackle this.

Lee, just think how cool it would look at Sky Trials next year to sweep the wings back and simulate stooping.

The attached drawing shows simply my idea of a double jointed swing wing assembly using only one servo.

What do you think? I know it's rough but it's just to get the idea across. There is someting there you just have to click on it to see it.
Willja67 is offline Find More Posts by Willja67
Old Mar 27, 2009, 01:54 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billwhit
Lee,
Have you posted plans of the peregrine? I was looking around, but didn't see any.
I am in the process of drawing up the plans for the EPP Peregrine. The plane kit is fairly complex and it takes a complex foam cutter to cut it. This makes plans hard to draw. We are expermenting with a couple of changes to make the kit easier to build.

A simplier KF version may be a good idea and a popular plane on this wide open forum. I would not be offended if someone wants to draw up a KF version of the Peregrine. My experience with the KF is that it would fly well and be a popular scratchbuild but probably not be as aerobatic as the full airfoil.

I still fly the first design (in post one) a couple of times a week. I personally have 3 of them and they are the first planes out of my car most days. I still get the local flyers commenting on how great they look and fly and when an eagle or falcon come into the flying area they want me to put up the EPP Peregine and see if it will react like the trained bird did at the Utah Sky Trials.

I built a new cutter this week to see if we can have a better product. If you know me you will know that I will give you as much information as I can.

Lee
Old Mar 27, 2009, 01:58 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denile
I live in alfalfa and hay country which comes with zillions of root munching ground squirrels. Would it be possible to install a small CO2 BB dispenser with enough momentum to do away with them: yes I know my .17HMR and various .223 colt to bushmasters are 100-100 times more efficeint just not as fun. NO BATF or other invasive big brother is watching agency's here.
You're more likely to wound yourself than hit a squirrel. I'll bet you you can't hit a squirrel with a RC plane mounted gun. I think you would do better trying to hit him with the plane.

Lee
Old Mar 27, 2009, 02:09 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willja67
this thread has some really great stuff in it and have enjoyed reading through it imensely. If this has already been suggested forgive me but one of the things that makes birds really cool is how they vary the geometry of their wings and I think it would be really cool if someone made one of their bird planes with swing wings. Obviously there are 2 joints in each wing and you would need two to make swing wings look good so I came up with an idea that maybe someone can run with. I am involved in my own project so hopefully someone else will tackle this.

Lee, just think how cool it would look at Sky Trials next year to sweep the wings back and simulate stooping.

The attached drawing shows simply my idea of a double jointed swing wing assembly using only one servo.

What do you think? I know it's rough but it's just to get the idea across. There is someting there you just have to click on it to see it.
I'm afraid these are planes that are going to remain fairly poor representations of real birds. Without building an inner frame with the complexity of a bird skeleton I don't think it could be built strong enough and light enough to not fold during flight. Your idea and drawing is good but the technology it would take to make it an aerobatic reality is above my skills.

Lee