Old Mar 22, 2009, 07:49 AM
ApachePilot
Joined Oct 2006
1,866 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdearth
Hi sdallon,
Your wing looks realistic with the tips like that but they are going to be
very fragile. If they flutter in flight they may cause control problems.

I am anxious to hear your progress.

Tim

I agree with the above assumption....

But, there is a solution that is very easy to use... Go to any office supply outlet and get a few sheets of acetate, used with overhead projectors. Simply glue some of this material to the bottom side of your wing tips.(also works as a great scuff guard) It is clear/see through and weighs next to nothing. This will hold everything in place, even if you decide to round the wingtips up.

It's a simple idea that I know works...again, very nice looking outline.

Ap achePilot
ApachePilot is offline Find More Posts by ApachePilot
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 22, 2009, 10:08 AM
Out the Window
North Central Florida
Joined Jul 2004
1,268 Posts
Thanks pdemon, jpelectric, and Lee for your ideas. Looks like a vote for more downthrust, that will be my first adjustment. I have my 2s battery right behind the motor. I may try to put a 3s in and change the COG. That way I will not be adding non useful weight.

Lee...I did not do a video of me painting the Eagle. It is really very simple. I just used the paper plans that I cut the wings from as my stencil for the feathers. Just set them so they do not line up with the ones above. I used cheap acrylic craft paints from Wal Mart mixed with some glass cleaner. Don't know how it will work on EPP but worked fine with FFF. It does take several coats as the paint is thinned out and the foam tends to absorb the paint.

I liked the looks of the Eagle so well I changed my avatar. Thanks Lee for starting this thread....lots of great information and ideas here.

Ray
High Flyin' is offline Find More Posts by High Flyin'
Old Mar 22, 2009, 11:08 AM
Fly and Repair!
Monument Colorado
Joined Aug 2008
18 Posts
I will draw a diagram of the servo and tail setup today and post.

Steve.
sdallen is offline Find More Posts by sdallen
Old Mar 22, 2009, 12:25 PM
PunchDrunk ex-Pug try'n fly'n
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Jan 2009
1,014 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Flyin'
Thanks pdemon, jpelectric, and Lee for your ideas. Looks like a vote for more downthrust, that will be my first adjustment. I have my 2s battery right behind the motor. I may try to put a 3s in and change the COG. That way I will not be adding non useful weight. Ray
My pleasure! I also refuse to add weight, you can also move the battery forward I'm sure you know. The fact that your problems were not just when you were under power but also during glide indicate to me that a CG move forward may be imperative. jp
jp.electrik is offline Find More Posts by jp.electrik
Old Mar 22, 2009, 01:48 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,897 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Flyin'
Lee...I did not do a video of me painting the Eagle. It is really very simple. I just used the paper plans that I cut the wings from as my stencil for the feathers. Just set them so they do not line up with the ones above. I used cheap acrylic craft paints from Wal Mart mixed with some glass cleaner. Don't know how it will work on EPP but worked fine with FFF. It does take several coats as the paint is thinned out and the foam tends to absorb the paint.

Ray
Ray

I have found that EPP paints well with the acrylic paint. It has even a brighter appearance and is more durable if you use a spray a little adhesive first like 3M77 or 3M90. Without the spray adhesive the paint fades and wears off.

I have my next Peregrine ready to paint I was waiting for some warmer weather to take it outside so I didn't aerosol dust the shop. (again)

Lee
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Old Mar 22, 2009, 08:52 PM
Fly and Repair!
Monument Colorado
Joined Aug 2008
18 Posts
I like the idea of acetate on the lower wing....I am looking at 'sheeting' with WOW liquid sheet to bolster the surfaces. I am really trying to be as true to life as I can and did not use a plan for this bird. I have hundreds of photos of ravens and simply scaled dimensions. I think that dual servo control of the tail will give me adequate directional control. Here in Colorado we have some great slopes so I hope this bird comes out as a fairly slow flyer with long sweeping turns and moderate lift. I will be sure to keep up with the build as it progresses.

Steve.
Old Mar 22, 2009, 09:15 PM
Connecticut, USA
Joined Oct 2008
322 Posts
sdallen, very interesting design. If I'm seeing your pics right you have a modified KF airfoil there? Wow this will be fun to get flying...great work...
Wynterhawk is offline Find More Posts by Wynterhawk
Old Mar 22, 2009, 10:33 PM
Fly and Repair!
Monument Colorado
Joined Aug 2008
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynterhawk
sdallen, very interesting design. If I'm seeing your pics right you have a modified KF airfoil there? Wow this will be fun to get flying...great work...
Yes it is a modified KF foil...I have based it of the real thing with literally hundreds of photos of ravens and scaled for the model. I guess technology imitates life....I am passionate about having this bird fly with the thousands of ravens here in Colorado, I should be finished with the build in the next month and will post build details and maiden flight vid's...I promise.

Steve.
Old Mar 22, 2009, 11:18 PM
Fly and Repair!
Monument Colorado
Joined Aug 2008
18 Posts
Just a few drawings of the servo set up of the tail....Basically the rudder action is controlled by servo #1 which is mounted on a vertically pivoting base, this base is then controlled by servo #2 which controls the elevator or nose up/nose down attitude. I wish someone made a 360 degree gimbal servo as this would make control so much easier on a two plane axis...maybe soon.

Steve.
Old Mar 24, 2009, 07:57 PM
Joined Jun 2007
168 Posts
sdallen, I really like the way that bird is coming along. There have been a lot of good ideas about strengthening your wing tips, here is one more, slice the feathers down the centerline and insert flat 3mm X 1mm carbon, this works great and is a real quick fix.
The Mad Spadder is offline Find More Posts by The Mad Spadder
Old Mar 24, 2009, 08:36 PM
Connecticut, USA
Joined Oct 2008
322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdallen
Just a few drawings of the servo set up of the tail....Basically the rudder action is controlled by servo #1 which is mounted on a vertically pivoting base, this base is then controlled by servo #2 which controls the elevator or nose up/nose down attitude. I wish someone made a 360 degree gimbal servo as this would make control so much easier on a two plane axis...maybe soon.

Steve.
There is a company in Germany that manufactures 360 pivoting gimbels. Its designed for electric motors for thrust vectoring but I bet it would work for your application as well...here's the link...Don't ask me how I found this, I have no idea...

http://www.vektor-technik.de/
Wynterhawk is offline Find More Posts by Wynterhawk
Old Mar 24, 2009, 09:54 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
17,811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynterhawk
There is a company in Germany that manufactures 360 pivoting gimbels. Its designed for electric motors for thrust vectoring but I bet it would work for your application as well...here's the link...Don't ask me how I found this, I have no idea...

http://www.vektor-technik.de/
Wow, that vectoring thing is pretty neat. I liked the video of it in action too!!! Unfortunetly the cost ~$66US is a bit steep, but it sure does spark the imagination.
Vantasstic is offline Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 24, 2009, 10:19 PM
Joined Jun 2007
168 Posts
I thought you guys might like to see the new bird Bill Lowe is working on. Yesterday I got a chance to help build and fly the prototypes. We flew these inside my brothers barn that was filled with all kinds of outdoor furniture. We crashed more than we flew but we had a blast trying to dodge all of the obstacles. The videos should give you lots of insight on how to build micro birds, Bill is a real master in the world of micros. These birds are made of epp and have a 17" wingspan and AUW of 16 grams using an Air Hog motor and a Vapor brick. Check out the video and his topic in indoor micros on this forum http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1022182. Can't wait to see what you guys come up with. Here is a picture of the one I painted

Old Mar 25, 2009, 12:10 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,897 Posts
Now this is what we are talking about. Great plane!!!!!

Please feel free to keep us posted here. I added it to the links in post #3.

Lee
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Old Mar 25, 2009, 12:22 AM
Joined Jun 2007
168 Posts
Thanks Lee. Bill is an amazing guy and great problem solver when it comes to designs. Bill and I both believe that there are scratrch builders (everyone on this thread) and there are those who want ARFS and kits. We hope to share what we are doing on this thread to inspire everyone here while at the same time we are getting great new ideas on how to constantly improve what we are trying to do. It is not my purpose to promote our products on this thread just to share ideas and stay motivated. If I ever cross that line let me know, this is absolutely one of my favorite threads!!