SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 25, 2008, 10:59 PM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,159 Posts
Here's what I have so far. It has a 56" wingspan and is tabbed for 5mm thickness foam (such as FFF). I don't have instructions, and I've not found a build thread anywhere so I'm not sure how all the parts fit together. The firewall in the nose has 2 degrees downthrust built into the design. I'm not sure how the tail feathers are supposed to mount to the fuselage. No indication where to put the servos or how much deflection for control surfaces.

I don't have enough FFF left over for this one, so someone else will have to take the reigns and do a build-log and flight testing... I'll modify the plans accordingly.
warhead_71 is offline Find More Posts by warhead_71
Last edited by warhead_71; Nov 25, 2008 at 11:11 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 25, 2008, 11:30 PM
New Hampshire-seacoast area
Joined Jun 2005
1,755 Posts
Hey nice Job warhead!

i'll shoot some pics of gear placement ect and post them tomorrow. deflection is all ya can get--LOL

dihedral is optional, the guy who gave me the plans didn't use any, I,however always have to fool with a design. I'll post pics from my blog of the wing glue up.

Paul
praymond is offline Find More Posts by praymond
Old Nov 26, 2008, 01:28 AM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,159 Posts
It seems to me, with 3 layers of 5mm FFF, you shouldn't even need a spar unless you intend to do some wild-@$$ aerobatics. I also added where ailerons might be cut... I'm not much of a tail-only pilot.

I had a thought to reconstruct the whole bird and make a triangular cross-section fuselage instead of the box-frame... It would be less weight, look a bit more realistic, and the v-tail could be part of the side-slab template. And if it were a pusher instead of a tractor, the beak wouldn't need to look so blocky. Oh well... I leave that to the next person.
Old Nov 26, 2008, 09:18 AM
Went to mow a meadow
Joined Feb 2007
1,443 Posts
Tiled PDF

Thanks Praymond & Warhead71, really nice job

I'm thinking of making it with a "monoblock" type construction as per Tony65x55's Blue Baby design, might last a bit longer with my flying style

Like to give somthing back to the group so I've tiled the plans in both Letter and A4 format. Hope its helps sombody out

Thanks again guys

Cheers,
Frank
frank48 is online now Find More Posts by frank48
Last edited by frank48; Nov 26, 2008 at 11:13 AM. Reason: Added smaller files & removed big ones
Old Nov 26, 2008, 09:35 AM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,159 Posts
Frank, I'd try to pare the file down a bit before making tiled versions... for instance I only need patterns for one wing, one fuse-side, etc... it will only require half the paper that way. I'll do that really quick and let you do the versions.

*edit - attached
Last edited by warhead_71; Nov 26, 2008 at 09:52 AM.
Old Nov 26, 2008, 10:36 AM
Joined May 2007
26 Posts
RC Birds

Awesome !!!i've been looking for plans for a nice bird.... I have a proto-type CROW that i made, no plans, made it from checking out the pictures of the EPP Eagle and crows... My neighborhood has a lot of crows so i made my own. I'm not a professional builder so my bird isn't as beautiful as Lee's bird... hahaha.. but I just wanted to share this with you guys... I had no camera man, my wife was asleep, (6:30am)...

My RC Bird... The Crow.. haha
sportinlbc is offline Find More Posts by sportinlbc
Old Nov 26, 2008, 11:10 AM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,159 Posts
Interesting feather ailerons on this one:

Here's one

And here's another.
Old Nov 26, 2008, 11:16 AM
Western Europe 52.7 N 8.9 W
Joined Jul 2007
2,619 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportinlbc
Awesome !!!i've been looking for plans for a nice bird.... I have a proto-type CROW that i made, no plans, made it from checking out the pictures of the EPP Eagle and crows... My neighborhood has a lot of crows so i made my own. I'm not a professional builder so my bird isn't as beautiful as Lee's bird... hahaha.. but I just wanted to share this with you guys... I had no camera man, my wife was asleep, (6:30am)...

My RC Bird... The Crow.. haha
Wow .... that sure was a bunch of crows ...... can't imagine how my Flyparty EPP Eagle would handle so many ......

this was a simple video taken with a helmet camera ...... just a couple of Crows taking it in turn to attack but even so I ended up with a nice 'V' shape taken out of a wing tip ......

I suspect flying with your Crows would end up being a fairly serious deal .....

When crows attack ...... (6 min 9 sec)
hobie14 is offline Find More Posts by hobie14
Old Nov 26, 2008, 04:06 PM
Out the Window
United States, FL, Alachua
Joined Jul 2004
1,284 Posts
Blue Wonder FFF Eagle?

I have been trying to limit my airplane builds to the size that will all take the same motor/battery/prop combinations. That way I can use the battery/props in the ones that are currently in flying condition! I like using the 1300 Blue Wonder motors with 2s or 3s 800-900 mah battery turning a 8 or 9 inch prop.

My first question about what wingspan do you think I should shoot for for the FFF Eagle? The second question is there an easy way to reduce the scale of the tiled PDFs? My printer ( HP Laserjet ) does not have a scale function and my Adobe reader does not have a scale function. I hoped that I could just print out each page at a reduced size and that would solve the problem. Oh yes my drawing program will not import PDFs.

Thanks for any suggestions,
Ray
High Flyin' is online now Find More Posts by High Flyin'
Old Nov 26, 2008, 05:31 PM
Steve
Denton, Tx
Joined Feb 2004
182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Flyin'
I have been trying to limit my airplane builds to the size that will all take the same motor/battery/prop combinations. That way I can use the battery/props in the ones that are currently in flying condition! I like using the 1300 Blue Wonder motors with 2s or 3s 800-900 mah battery turning a 8 or 9 inch prop.

My first question about what wingspan do you think I should shoot for for the FFF Eagle? The second question is there an easy way to reduce the scale of the tiled PDFs? My printer ( HP Laserjet ) does not have a scale function and my Adobe reader does not have a scale function. I hoped that I could just print out each page at a reduced size and that would solve the problem. Oh yes my drawing program will not import PDFs.

Thanks for any suggestions,
Ray
Ray, your printer should be able to tile large pages. Download the full page PDF and open it, go to file then print you should see page scaling, select tile large pages, a scale box should open.
Hope this helps
Steve
3D52 is offline Find More Posts by 3D52
Old Nov 26, 2008, 06:13 PM
Joined Jun 2005
1,755 Posts
Ray, with a 9050DD gws prop on a 3s and 1300BW, you should get around 14oz. If you reduced the plans to 75% you'd probably get a 130z AUW bird. It is a bit big to lug that wing around and not snap a wing tip bumping into things. I had thought about using some EPP for wing tips for just this raeson.

Paul
Old Nov 26, 2008, 06:32 PM
Out the Window
United States, FL, Alachua
Joined Jul 2004
1,284 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevepollard
Ray, your printer should be able to tile large pages. Download the full page PDF and open it, go to file then print you should see page scaling, select tile large pages, a scale box should open.
Hope this helps
Steve
\

Steve,

I don't seem to have the page scaling. Maybe I am using the wrong version of Adobe Reader. Mine claims to be 8. Here is a screen capture of the printer window that comes up:

Thanks,
Ray
High Flyin' is online now Find More Posts by High Flyin'
Old Nov 26, 2008, 08:14 PM
Joined Jun 2005
1,755 Posts
Here's some pics of my gear placement. It balances with a 4.5 or 3.5 oz 3s easily, flew it with a 5.5 3s also no prob.

What may not show up well is the 1" wide 1/32 ply inside doubler where the wing sits on the body.

Oh, that triangular filler piece between the tail feathers, I made from an angled piece of cieling tile. glued it to the V fins, then rubbed it on a piece of sandpaper I have glued to a piece of wood to flatten the V. When it looked wide enough I glued it to the rear deck.

Once you finish the wing, the rest goes quickly!

Paul
Last edited by praymond; Nov 26, 2008 at 08:22 PM.
Old Nov 26, 2008, 08:19 PM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,159 Posts
Here it is at 75% ~42" wingspan
Old Nov 26, 2008, 08:24 PM
Joined Jun 2005
1,755 Posts
Nice work warhead!